Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Tom Cannon officially signs!

4 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

....but then the Internet will reveal bone scans proving that he's actually 55 years old, so only eligible for the seniors tournament. 

Anyway, isn't it about time someone changed the thread title to "Tom Cannon officially signs on the sick"? :whistle:

Well a bad back is generally something you'd see in an older person so maybe you're right 🤣

This is a very peculiar story. The club is taking a big risk here and hedging a lot of bets on this stress fracture being minor enough he will return to full training and play a part later in the season. IF he gets better like some have said he’s gone need time to strengthen, get fit and firing again. His sharpness will be off. We will be at the business end of the season by then.

I thought the whole point of getting him was so he can start to play a part now. I really do wish we bought Piroe. Sitting on the fence for 3 million more quid seems silly in the general scheme of things. We all saw how much impact he’s made for Leeds right off the bat. Well I’ll keep faith in maresca he seems to know what he’s doing. We do need some good fortune though. Good cannon mends well and comes back to us a monster of a striker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He’s 20, on a 4 year deal with 3 experienced strikers in the squad. I wouldn’t have signed him whilst injured but the value in this signing was never going to be instantaneous.

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 4

Obviously they wanted him & felt that they were getting a good deal. Hopefully he will be fit by the New Year & can cover the AFCON absentees. I do know if too many clubs will be interested in Nacho or Daka in the Winter window knowing they will lose them for a month. We may be in the market for a striker ourselves in the next window.

I'd assume this isn't as odd as it seems, we all think broken back, wheel chairs, crippled etc etc but he's a young lad who's still growing & played a lot of sport in a short amount of time.

If we go back to the start of Steven Gerrard's career & he was dogged for years with back issues & had regular trips to an Osteopath in Paris until around 22 when he had stopped growing, i'd imagine its the same sort of thing?

Basically Cannon needs to wait until his body has caught up with the stresses of being an athlete whilst still growing.

Spondylolysis is a stress fracture in the lower back. Children and teens who participate in sports that put repetitive stress on the low back, such as gymnastics, skiing, and weightlifting, are at highest risk.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

So we wanted Graham Potter last season and now we've signed Brian Potter instead 

So is Brian Harry Potter's cousin twice or thrice removed or is that Grahams second cousin on his auntie Ethel potters mothers sisters brothers wife’s side ?

I can’t keep up with these Fooking Potters coming up everywhere For Fooks Sake !!:ph34r:

Edited by justfoxes

13 hours ago, dynamark said:

Whats a stress fracture of the back ? Series of vertical bones as far as I know containing spinal cord etc.Is one cracked ?

It's actually a really common injury and a lot of people probably have them and not realise. Obviously it's different for professional athletes. Usually it's a tiny crack in a bone that connects the vertebrae.  

Repetitive exercise can cause them. 

Doubtful it will be that bad and probably only picked up on a extremely detailed scan. 

1 minute ago, RowlattsFox said:

It's bizarre this. If he got injured after it just unlucky but to go through with the transfer despite finding a relatively serious injury makes no sense.

I assume we think he'll be ok by January but there must've been other options. 

It's a common injury to be fair just bizarre we have two in the space of a month. 

Be surprised (unless it's worse than they are saying) if he isn't back before Christmas 

3 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Signing a player who is crocked when we're apparently already struggling with the wage budget so much that we needed to wait all summer for outgoings, classic Rudkin.

Actually disagree. He's clearly been bought with the long term in mind. Refreshing hearing Maresca say this yesterday. The kid is young, has bags of potential yet only had 1 season out on loan. There is massively potential upside and all we have to do is wait a few months before he can hit the ground running. Really should be no rush here.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Actually disagree. He's clearly been bought with the long term in mind. Refreshing hearing Maresca say this yesterday. The kid is young, has bags of potential yet only had 1 season out on loan. There is massively potential upside and all we have to do is wait a few months before he can hit the ground running. Really should be no rush here.

Except when we are super light on strikers during the African cup of nations?

• Like 1

Just now, SemperEadem said:

Which if we believe the rumours would mean we only have one fit striker at the club during this time.

Ok - you are likely far more in the know than me :) To be fair, he could be fit now and get Injured in January - football has a habit of biting you on the arse. Lets see how the recovery pans out before stressing to much about that. I still maintain this is a long term appointment.

21 hours ago, Simonb said:

Does make me think, could we have just left this one until January to do another medical and sign him then, and if not get someone else in? If I'm reading it right, it states similar to praet... I take that to mean how long he will be out for.

Praets gor another 10 to 12 weeks hasn't he? So that's mid December at best.

7m fee, wages and medical costs just seems a bit stupid to take a risk

Buying him now means that he will be watching us play and train and be up to speed with Enzoball by January when he's needed.

18 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Which if we believe the rumours would mean we only have one fit striker at the club during this time.

Which rumours? The ones on here from our brigade of junior doctors who have mentioned everything from six weeks to a year?

Hopefully you haven't heard something more serious and reliable.