Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

LCFC 0 - 1 Hull Post Match Thread

3 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

I don't know. If you see an easy positive ball then - very occasionally, at least - play it. If, instead, you recycle possession endlessly until one of your players has to jab an aimless ball upfield, or you give it away in a dangerous area and allow the opposition in, then to me that's unnecessary over-complication. And, over time, very easy for opponents to prepare for. I understand that this will happen from time to time, but when it happens repeatedly without any threat from us in the interim period, you do have to wonder whether we're making the most of what we have to offer. Which, in theory, should be a lot.

Up to now, we're scraping through, or not, by the skin of our teeth, as we try to play a shape which literally nobody at this level has ever played before, and achieve possession stats which only Russell Martin would aspire to. I'm not sure we're going about this the easy way.

You miss my point - it might seem complicated but the long term vision isn't complicated - don't confuse what you've seen so far with the likely finished product.

It really comes down to: "keep the ball, and if you lose it - win it back".

4 minutes ago, Ricey said:

He gets wound up when we waste chances or possession, but he looks calm at the points where the fans are getting restless with the lack of urgency.

Well, that's fine - because he knows that there isn't a lack of urgency, that's the team doing what he has asked them to do.

4 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

Well, that's fine - because he knows that there isn't a lack of urgency, that's the team doing what he has asked them to do.

Which is exactly my point. He’s fine with the urgency and tempo, it’s not going to change.

1 hour ago, jmono84 said:

I think ppl are giving Hull way too much credit. We were clearly levels above them for most of the match but we deserved to lose because of how wasteful we were with our chances, nothing to do with how well Hull defended. You don’t deserve anything if you only get one shot on target from 21!!

This is bullshit. We weren’t “levels above” them at all and we didn’t lose because we were “wasteful”.

We lost because they scored a goal from a moment of poor goalkeeping/defending and we created nothing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

It's true - but when you have 5 brand new, very young wingers you have to play them in matchday situations to really see how they react and where their strengths lie.

That’s my point , though. I don’t blame him for not knowing his strongest side yet, as there’s been a lot of ins and outs. Once he knows and we’re a pretty settled side playing the way he wants us to, it will click. 

20 minutes ago, Dickov22 said:

That’s my point , though. I don’t blame him for not knowing his strongest side yet, as there’s been a lot of ins and outs. Once he knows and we’re a pretty settled side playing the way he wants us to, it will click. 

I was agreeing with you - i don't see how it's unavoidable.

1 hour ago, Lillehamring said:

You have to remember that enzo's working with a lot of young and/or new players - and he clearly feels that whilst everyone is new to the system, KDH and Ndidi are the more experienced.  Throwing casadei and mcateer into such crucial positions is a huge risk.  Also, with so many new players and so much rotation (i assume he's still evaluating the abilities/roles of his wingers), it's going to be difficult for the #8s to know what to expect from the players around them, and also that nacho is hopeless right now and offers very little support - maybe we need to just give them all time before we dismiss them outright.

I'm not dismissing KDH but I'm not having N'didi playing as an attacking midfielder because that's never been his game and never will be. He's a holding midfielder who's not very good on the ball and his best period was when he had Youri and Madders around him who are both good on the ball

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, leicesterseddon said:

This is bullshit. We weren’t “levels above” them at all and we didn’t lose because we were “wasteful”.

We lost because they scored a goal from a moment of poor goalkeeping/defending and we created nothing. 

I think it took a pretty sizeable deflection - that's not bad defending.  Could we have prevented the shot? maybe - but it wasn't a dangerous shot until it took an unfortunate deflection, and even then, it could have gone anywhere.

There's a fine line between making a great block and deflecting it into the goal.

• Like 1

Just now, nettle said:

I'm not dismissing KDH but I'm not having N'didi playing as an attacking midfielder because that's never been his game and never will be. He's a holding midfielder who's not very good on the ball and his best period was when he had Youri and Madders around him who are both good on the ball

Sure, but even in this short time of playing the position he's had some great moments, and played far better there than anyone would ever have imagined.

I'm sure Casadei is the plan, but maybe not just yet. 

1 minute ago, Lillehamring said:

Sure, but even in this short time of playing the position he's had some great moments, and played far better there than anyone would ever have imagined.

I'm sure Casadei is the plan, but maybe not just yet. 

His moments came against Burton and Tranmere. He's looked crap in all the championship games.so far.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, l444ry said:

Hull were bang ordinary but well organised defensively. There will be plenty of other sides doing the same thing by man marking Winks and Ricardo , disrupt the build up and wait  for us to make an error. It's how Enzo and the team react to this that will be interesting. Can't remember their keeper even getting his knees dirty so anyone dressing this result up other than a piss poor performance, attacking wise, is kidding themselves.  

The passing was slick at times. We showed good movements in that respect. However, it has been like this all season. We lack counter attacking and quick transitional play - which while we say we want to play like Man City we don’t do that at all.  We are too slow in the initial build up trying to pass around neatly but in the process we just allow Hull to set up defensively. We do look prettier now but it is the same problem we had under Rodgers - although it was much worst as we could not even get out of our own half.

We need to unlock defences by playing quick especially during transition (in the initial 1-2 seconds). Otherwise we make it too hard for ourselves.  The number of blocks is evidence of this. When we allow Hull to park the bus, we can’t shoot and if we shoot it is likely blocked.  This is shown by the stats.

Edited by Tom12345

3 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

I think it works like this:

If a player has the opportunity to make an assist, the xGA reflects the likelihood of it becoming an assist - so i assume it depends not only on whether it is converted but also whether he completes the pass or if it's a pass that is sompleted but takes the recipient away from the goal scoring opportunity.

I understand how it works. I was being a bit facetious. I just don't see it as a useful stat. For me, it's a bit like when people talk about assisting the assist. You start getting so far removed it starts to feel less useful and more stats for the sake of stats.

Few observations:

1. As much as I think he’s a waste of a body in this system, Ndidi is clearly there to win the ball high. It’s like you’d want him to retrieve and then turn into Casadei in possession. You can’t have him and KDH performing the way they are together, though. This season look for those two early doors and you’ll be able to tell what type of day we’ll have. Just like when Drinkwater was off it.

2. I still fully don’t believe this is Brendan ball. There were far too many individual dribbles and turns out of trouble today compared to a Rodgers team told to keep it moving regardless of space and opportunity. Problem was there just wasn’t enough space.

3. Ergo, I do think we were the better side. Remember pre match when we were being told by Hull fans that they’d dominate the ball? Didn’t see any of that today because they knew they were inferior. That’s not a good side and shouldn’t shock any of you to see that awful cvnt Rosenior encouraging 11 players to behave the way they did. Still remember his conduct around the Greg Cunningham leg break the last time we were in this shithole league.

4. We are everyone’s big scalp this year, so get used to teams camped in and around their box. It’s why nearly every goal we’ve scored has been a worldie so far.

5. Against Southampton I’d like to see Abdul and Mavididi. I think they’ll come out without the fear or respect and those two will have a field day.

Early days but a minor bump in the road. Perfect recipe for disaster with such poor officiating on show, too.

• Like 3

I hate losing just before an international break. I missed the game today but managed to catch the extended highlights. Thought we did a lot of things right. One thing we did wrong was our composure in front of goal. KDH, Kel and Casadei all had chances I think the should’ve done better with. Fatawu was downright unlucky. 

17 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I hate losing just before an international break. I missed the game today but managed to catch the extended highlights. Thought we did a lot of things right. One thing we did wrong was our composure in front of goal. KDH, Kel and Casadei all had chances I think the should’ve done better with. Fatawu was downright unlucky. 

Last time we got promoted our first three losses were the three games before the first three international breaks, so this is nothing new to us.

Surprised by the reaction from many on here. Admittedly I missed the game due to being on holiday but just watched the highlights on YouTube. We appeared to dominate and seemed to have many chances which on a different day would have put us 2-3 up. We looked a lot more dangerous on the highlights during the second half. Whether that was Hull camping in or players like Casadei and Fatawu making a difference. 

Again based off the highlights where KDH had a simple pass to Mavididi for a clear cut chance but decided to do it all on his own. I do wonder whether Enzo mentioning goals the way he does, is clouding KDH’s thought process in front of goal. 

Overall just seemed a bad day at the office and we looked clearly dominating and appeared to have a fair few chances.

Out of curiosity, how come the ref got so much slack? Appeared to give a couple of yellows out on the highlights but only after the players basically spoke him into it. 

12 hours ago, CloudFox said:

This is the biggest concern for me. We're not testing opposition keepers. Why?

At the beginning of the season,the one thing I enjoyed,was a manager urging and us seeing more players arriving in the box..Neither Yunus or Mcateer after creating space had anybody to cross to. Often Ndid & Nacho were offering themselves up has 2nd wingers,taking away the formentioned spaces..

2nd half better and started to create,but too slow in releasing quick & early ball,in the last 1/3 of the pitch..Enzo's group subs,needed but I would of waited on " Vardy( position) sub" and moved Mcateer inside,he seemed to have the beating of the Hull- B line.

This squad is still in its early stages of its development..Hence the 3 last quick investments/transfers..I believe much of the critic, a bit OTT 

We were after the goal somewhat disorganised,and took far too long readjusting ourselve and getting back to that routine. We played some decent football,but that intent was missing.

The ref didn't help,and we were robbed of gametime,I thought 6 minutes would be shown,wanting(deserving) 8-10mins

Hull scored that fortunate deflected goal,but had that system that constantly disrupted us & could have hurt us even more,if they had converted their chances..Doyle had an iffy-day.

Yunus league Debut,never attacked/troubled that deep RW space of the park Fassy comes on and at least Tested RW handed side,beat his men & threatened the box/GK space.

Ditto earlier Mcateer,but had often his space crowded by teammate(s)

Mavididi,better game,but receiving ball too late & then options closed down.

I don't think we deserved to lose .We wasn't that bad,but we waited too long for something to happen - pushing that last 1/3 with more vision

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Pliskin said:

There needs to be some calm. I think a lot of the knee jerk reaction is because some people seem to want this to fail, because we’re not aimlessly lumping a ball up field.

The problem today was Wilf, in an attacking sense, he can’t play that role and Enzo needs to drop that experiment….. and I think this in turn spoils KDH’s game as he’s expected to be the main force coming forward.

As soon as Casadei came on we all of a sudden looked 100% better…. But then we were just rushing everything and snatching at our chances. We needed a bit more composure in the final third.

The other problem, was the lacking of leadership at the back…. As mentioned.

We looked by far the better team, we were just our own worst enemy at times, but it will come…. There’s enough ability on this team, we just need to bring it together….. and not have duck head fans keep shouting “Lump it forward”…..

Agree

After the break, we need Casadei from the beginning,and not waste his skills,because we are pushing the game. Want to see Praet has that extra rotation/ competition vying for the 2 positions that could be filled:- Praet/KDH/Ndidi/Casadei/Choudhury/

then even Nacho /Justin..

Enzo wasn't happy in the 1st half,

but the squad still needs time and Enzo needs his  time,to build his solid first 11-15,

with twists within his wider potential.

Too many fans going off half cocked or OTT,this was always going to be a long spread out of " work in progress"

Then frustratingly dropping points like yesterday from winnable games.

We must be prepared also for hit and miss performances from players & team..