Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

LCFC 0 - 1 Hull Post Match Thread

No point in going over the top, we'll be able to judge it better after the international break. I do have concerns about these tactics as I'm not convinced some of our players are technically good enough or we have the creativity to play this style or football, and we don't seem to have a plan B, which can make us quite predictable at times. I also don't think we're anywhere near as aggressive in the press as we should be and better teams than those we've played so far can exploit that. But it's still very early days and I hope to see some improvement in the performances after the break

5 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

If we have had 21 shots and 1 on target, I'd say something has been created. I haven't seen where those 21 shots were from.

Completely get what you're saying. However, these are our shots, with the only one on target/requiring a save this one from KDH...straight down the middle.

Screenshot_20230902-171303.thumb.png.5a8ad9a76d79f4dfcca91192a5c7d47f.png

That doesn't fill me with confidence that we're creating anything threatening.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm sure we'll get better, I just don't know how long that's going to take. We need to be far more creative, and clinical.

Edited by CloudFox

Let's not pretend that this was not reminiscent of Puel and Rodgers where we were scared to play dangerous passes or simply don't have the players for it. 

Give it time, hopefully it comes together otherwise that's the blue print to beat us. Play on the break, dive, frustrate us wind us up so we can't play our game.

• Like 3

Managers can be like young kids at Christmas anxious to use all their new toys. And I think that's what happened today. In doing so Maresca undid whatever cohesion the team had - granted they hadn't played all that well the past couple of league matches.  The squad just looked disjointed - guys would get in position to make a play and the last pass was off or they shot when they shouldn't have.

KDH was poor for a good part of the match. Doyle had a clunker. Winks had some letdowns. Akgun couldn't mesh at all with his teammates. I think Maresca deserves some fault here. Go with what's been effective and work the other guys in vs moving McAteer and starting a guy who hasn't started - even with his former club.   

That said there's plenty of potential - and talent. That's pretty obvious. 

3 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

We played good football but to reliant on midfielders to score, they can't do that in every match.......we need a proven striker 

Could have Haaland up front and won't make a difference as we don't create anything. Did any of our strikers miss any clear chances today? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CloudFox said:

Completely get what you're saying. However, these are our shots, with the only one on target/requiring a save this one from KDH...straight down the middle.

Screenshot_20230902-171303.thumb.png.5a8ad9a76d79f4dfcca91192a5c7d47f.png

That doesn't fill me with confidence that we're creating anything threatening.

So we had 11 shots from inside the box, but didn't create anything?

• Like 1

Just now, jayfox26 said:

Could have Haaland up front and won't make a difference as we don't create anything. Did any of our strikers miss any clear chances today? 

Partly agree we don’t create enough but Iheanacho hit one straight at the defender when the keeper was beat and was a pretty embarrassing miss at the end of the first half tbf.

It was a chance that came up from Hull’s defence making an error so it doesn’t absolve our lack of creativity, but you can absolutely blame Nacho for missing that one 

Everyone will continue to beat everyone so you’ve realistically got until about the turn of the year to really get your act together and go on a run - it wasn’t until December in 13/14 that we really turned a corner and started kicking on after that away win at QPR. Today isn’t the end of the world and we’ll 100% lose a few more times between now and the end of the year (probably the next 2 to be quite honest).

I’d expect us to be settled and in a rhythm by about January time if we’re serious about automatic promotion, until then I imagine it’ll probably be a bit of a turbulent ride…but we can’t get cut adrift either, but I don’t think we will. 

Poor. Infact I’d go as far as saying shocking and awful. (Not on the scale of last season -always feel like I’ve gotta caveat it against that, it’ll stop, eventually)

However, anyone who has ever read any of my posts knows I hate, despise blaming officiating but today I’m making an exception, that was shocking, a card happy referee (for both teams), didn’t get on top of their time wasting, then they only give 3 minutes added - I’m not sure what the guidelines are but for the subs alone there should have been more than 3 minutes surely? (Not at fault for the result may I add)

We move on to the next game.

Unfortunately we have an international break to stew on it. ****ing hate international breaks.

Edited by Matt
  • Haha 1