Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trelleh

EFL Officiating Abomination Journal 23/24

6 hours ago, Bert said:

And this is exactly why these blue cards are being introduced 

You don't need a blue card for that though, just guidance to the refs to stop treating second yellow like a red in terms of threshold for giving it. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, LFox99 said:

How Winks ended up as the only one in the book for kicking away the ball is beyond me.

Bernard got booked for a full on NHL body check on Vardy before that, setting the bar on what he's willing to give a booking for.

Edited by Mike the Metal Ed

4 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Is that within the remit of a fourth official?

Whether or not it should be, I believe they have input with on field decisions - they’re all in comms together.  Could be that the 4th official has way more of an influence than some of us realise 

As others have said, he was out of his depth.  He could be a decent official in the future but he’s not ready 

Edited by st albans fox

35 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Is that within the remit of a fourth official?

Yes it’s fine. The issue there wasn’t the fourth officials input, it was somehow that the ref didn’t think it was a foul in the first place. If he gives it straight away then nobody is complaining. 

3 hours ago, The Doctor said:

You don't need a blue card for that though, just guidance to the refs to stop treating second yellow like a red in terms of threshold for giving it. 

Which is the point. 

The blue card is being introduced because they’re not competent enough. 

Anyone else not celebrate the opening goal properly because they thought the ref didn’t give it/was giving something else? 

I always thought the ref signal to give a goal was to point backwards, towards the centre spot. But last night Fatawu slot it home and the ref pointed towards Sheffield Wednesday’s goalline 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Truly atrocious officiating last night. Ref bottled it big time. At least one stonewall red and possibly 2. 

No need for me to rehearse all the strange decisions last night, others have done that.

I don’t remember seeing this guy before though so we don’t know if he is really crap or just had a bad day at the office.  Keith Stroud on the other hand is absolute shíte every time.

54 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Anyone else not celebrate the opening goal properly because they thought the ref didn’t give it/was giving something else? 

I always thought the ref signal to give a goal was to point backwards, towards the centre spot. But last night Fatawu slot it home and the ref pointed towards Sheffield Wednesday’s goalline 

I was jumping up and down, I glance at the lino and that's good enough for me. 

Bizarre refereeing at times last night . 
There no. 4 committed conceded 5 free kicks in fist half . Two were probably yellow card offences . 
No yellow  card . 
Said to my pal - “ first foul Winks commits  will be yellow “. This happened in 80th minute - innocuous challenge - yellow card . Dreadful inconsistency 

9 minutes ago, henry56 said:

Bizarre refereeing at times last night . 
There no. 4 committed conceded 5 free kicks in fist half . Two were probably yellow card offences . 
No yellow  card . 
Said to my pal - “ first foul Winks commits  will be yellow “. This happened in 80th minute - innocuous challenge - yellow card . Dreadful inconsistency 

I think winks passed the ball after a the whistle was blown. It wasn’t his free kick offence. Having said that, he had pulled a shirt first few mins and also made a sliding tackle foul in the second half so wasn’t surprised that he wasn’t given any rope 

Their CB should of had his second yellow card in the first 25 minutes when he took someone out on the halfway line. Refs think theyre helping the game by being lenient but if Wednesday turned it around and this CB scored the equaliser when he should of been off then we’d be absolutely raging. Dont even get me started on that Vaulks who stopped 4 attacks and got absolutley **** all which allowed him to do the same thing over and over again. Do your fcking job ref

I thought he was card-shy but otherwise I didn't think he got too much wrong.

He was right to pull the play back with that Mavididi foul right on half time. Blatant foul and i'm not sure why it took him so long to give it.

The bit before HT was mad, don't think I've seen that before. The decision itself I'm not fussed about, it was the fact he allowed 5 seconds of us throwing bodies forward, and then a quick Sheff Weds free kick, creating an artificial counter attack. So weird. If you give the decision that late, fine, but don't let them take it quickly.

7 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I thought he was card-shy but otherwise I didn't think he got too much wrong.

He was right to pull the play back with that Mavididi foul right on half time. Blatant foul and i'm not sure why it took him so long to give it.

This is the main issue for me.

By all means give the foul if he's wanting no pulling etc but the delay in his decision making was very poor.  

It was a frequent occurrence where the game had continued for a good few seconds before he'd stopped play

6 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Also, a yellow and a blue card would result in a red card anyway, so it doesn't really solve that problem :D 

You're right though, one of the main issues with refs is that they don't apply the laws of the game consistently in the same game. They think they're orchestrators. The amount of times you see yellow card fouls in a first half and then absolutely nonsense yellows given in the 2nd half is awful. It's literally cheating, but they get applauded by commentators for "managing the game well"

It was his inconsistency. 

The shirt pull was correct but he delayed his decision and then Wednesday took a quick free kick. 

He let loads go in the first half but then there was innocuous Fatawu shoulder to shoulder. 

He didn't look in control of the game rather weak. 

Am i the only one who actually enjoyed the refereeing?  Yes, Vaulks was lucky to not get a yellow, which made the winks one hard to take, but i can't remember seeing a ref who was so good at not just playing advantage, but also calling it back when no advantage was gained.

I'd rather a ref understands this part of the game than doshes out yellow cards all game.