Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trelleh

EFL Officiating Abomination Journal 23/24

1 minute ago, phoneticerror said:

Looked like a hand ball from SK4. Haven’t watched back though on tv

Was watching on a stream and have seen a slow mo replay, it was his chest.

19 minutes ago, Bert said:

Second half. The ball has bounced and hit their 5’s hand. It’s a penalty. I was right in line with it. The red card. Same suspect. Booked in the first 5 minutes. Then not booked ten minutes later for the exact same foul. 

It didn't hit Clarke's hand. There was very clear video. Next? 

Just now, The Doctor said:

His arm was outside of his silhouette and moved towards the ball, nearest player was McAteer like two yards away, not sure how you can claim it's not handball when it's not accidental and hits his hand

It hit his chest haha. Have you seen the replay?

Just now, The Doctor said:

I've not but it definitely didn't hit his chest given it was at hip height, pretty sure we're thinking of different incidents 

I can only think of the one incident, so unless this happened during a blip in the stream, it didn't hit his hand.

There was a big appeal and there was a replay shown.

28 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

So, referees aren't competent enough to give decisions correctly without help then? Not like it was from a corner with a blocked sight line, it was out towards the side of the box

There not no, thats been evidenced endless times.

Standard of officiating is worrying. I may be wrong, but wasnt the ref today a prem ref? Probably become too reliant upon VAR to pick up his errors.

We have all moaned about refs, myself included.  There are good ones and crap ones.  I still firmly believe though that if you are relying on a refereeing decision to win then your team haven't done enough.  It's that simple.  If anyone blames the ref for losing yesterday and not the fact we were well below par and missed a number of clear chances, then there's no hope.  

We have more than enough quality to beat most of, if not all of the teams in this division, with or without the refs help/hindrance 

Edited by rugbyblue

31 minutes ago, Kinowe Soorie said:

Their keeper was time wasting in the first half! Don’t think I’ve ever seen that before?

Literally Hull. Yesterday was pretty much the exact same pattern of game as against hull, the moment they got ahead it was niggling little fouls (not pulled up because we didn't make a meal of them) and timewasting to disrupt our play and stop our chances of getting back into it, enabled by a referee who was afraid of his cards and couldn't count to 5.

• Like 3

Sorry if this has been said already.

Clarke wipes out Ricardo but according to commentary Engel got booked instead.

When Clarke then takes out Praet, ref knows that if he goes to book him he has a problem so just ignores it.

Ref was poor throughout, we just need to accept that officials at all levels in our country are poor. 

1 minute ago, fox_favourite said:

In 33 games, there has been a grand total of 1 decent referee. 1!! 

Training needs to be improved across the board. The standard in England as a whole is terrible at the moment 

Used to think the Prem was bad regards referees, I think the main thing with them is they all interpret the rules differently.

6 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Literally Hull. Yesterday was pretty much the exact same pattern of game as against hull, the moment they got ahead it was niggling little fouls (not pulled up because we didn't make a meal of them) and timewasting to disrupt our play and stop our chances of getting back into it, enabled by a referee who was afraid of his cards and couldn't count to 5.

We have lacked being street wise for years. 

Just now, Kinowe Soorie said:

We have lacked being street wise for years. 

Yep. I don't like it but the professional fouls in your offensive third to stop breaks and exaggerating niggly fouls to get free kicks and force refs to make decisions is part of the modern game now, the opportunity to stomp it out when man city and Liverpool started with it has long been missed and we need to learn to play that game

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Foxmeister said:

What are we comparing the standard of refereeing to? They get criticized/abused at all levels all over the world. 

Actually a really good point. What are we comparing it to? 

It's genuinely accepted when a ref has had a good game, when they're rarely noticed. 

I think the best officials are those where you don't fully notice they're there, managing the game in a way where it isn't stop start and they're in control of time wasting/repeat fouling.

5 hours ago, Kinowe Soorie said:

Their keeper was time wasting in the first half! Don’t think I’ve ever seen that before?

tbf he was time wasting within the first 10 mins, first time i remember a keeper doing that since Ben Foster

Clarke should have been sent off for me yesterday, standards of a officials from top to bottom in the country is shockingly bad, no one can actually say otherwise, so so poor fo

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

Clarke should have been sent off for me yesterday,

'For you' though. It's subjective. It nearly always is.

4 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

standards of a officials from top to bottom in the country is shockingly bad, no one can actually say otherwise

I can say otherwise, and I do.

The standard isn't shockingly bad; most officials are fine. Yes they make mistakes, and sometimes bad ones, of course they do, they're human. And some are better than others. But on the whole most of them aren't too bad.

Worst thing about the game nowadays is that referee decisions are 'talking points.' They shouldn't be up for discussion at all.

Of course fans will moan and grumble, we always have, but if the media didn't spend all their time talking about refs' decisions, the whole atmosphere of the game would be much better. And young refs in youth football wouldn't get abuse from parents and coaches on a weekly basis. No wonder there are hardly any of them.