Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trelleh

EFL Officiating Abomination Journal 23/24

22 minutes ago, BertFill said:

'For you' though. It's subjective. It nearly always is.

I can say otherwise, and I do.

The standard isn't shockingly bad; most officials are fine. Yes they make mistakes, and sometimes bad ones, of course they do, they're human. And some are better than others. But on the whole most of them aren't too bad.

Worst thing about the game nowadays is that referee decisions are 'talking points.' They shouldn't be up for discussion at all.

Of course fans will moan and grumble, we always have, but if the media didn't spend all their time talking about refs' decisions, the whole atmosphere of the game would be much better. And young refs in youth football wouldn't get abuse from parents and coaches on a weekly basis. No wonder there are hardly any of them.

im speaking in general about officials; not just yesterday etc

the wider game, in the premier league for example, one game you can get a sending off for one thing then in another its not even a yellow

there is no consistency at all, its all fans want is consistency with decisions

guess youll say Casemiro shouldnt have been sent off today then, when he clearly should have been

38 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Actually a really good point. What are we comparing it to? 

It's genuinely accepted when a ref has had a good game, when they're rarely noticed. 

I think the best officials are those where you don't fully notice they're there, managing the game in a way where it isn't stop start and they're in control of time wasting/repeat fouling.

Refs tend to get noticed when they make mistakes or there are borderline decisions. The former is human and the latter unavoidable.

There are plenty on here who were "in line", "2 rows back" or sat on the match ball, who clearly saw the ball hit the player's hand when it in fact hit his chest.

Just now, Foxmeister said:

Refs tend to get noticed when they make mistakes or there are borderline decisions. The former is human and the latter unavoidable.

There are plenty on here who were "in line", "2 rows back" or sat on the match ball, who clearly saw the ball hit the player's hand when it in fact hit his chest.

Most accept mistakes and borderline decisions. 

There's annoyance around the handball and the tripping of JJ for their first. Which is understandable

But the major annoyance is the inability for the officials to control the game, their number 4 should've had 3 yellows, the ref then let time wasting go unpunished until fairly late on. He wasn't consistent in what was shoulder to shoulder or a foul. All things he has direct control over 

• Like 1

I'm afraid decades of vitriol towards match officials has predictably led to a reduction in the talent pool. We've got exactly what we deserve.

I would genuinely like to see a pundit or manager ref a National League dead rubber at the end of a season and maybe an interactive programme on TV where we can ref a game at home.

Edited by Foxmeister
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

guess youll say Casemiro shouldnt have been sent off today then, when he clearly should have been

I wouldn't say anything about him, I only really watch Leicester games as a rule.

29 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

one game you can get a sending off for one thing then in another its not even a yellow

It's never exactly the same thing though. One of the good things about football is that all situations are a little bit different.

Look, I'm not saying refs don't make mistakes - they do. I'm just saying that on the whole they're nowhere near as rubbish as people make out, and that we need to be a bit more accepting of the fact that everybody makes mistakes sometimes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BertFill said:

I wouldn't say anything about him, I only really watch Leicester games as a rule.

It's never exactly the same thing though. One of the good things about football is that all situations are a little bit different.

Look, I'm not saying refs don't make mistakes - they do. I'm just saying that on the whole they're nowhere near as rubbish as people make out, and that we need to be a bit more accepting of the fact that everybody makes mistakes sometimes.

Yet pretty much every week we are talking about referees that have made honking decisions. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Winchesterfox said:

We should also accept that as fans of a particular club we are massively biased in  how we see refereeing decisions.  

True, which is why people highlight the inconsistencies from one week to the next on things that really have no reason to be inconsistent (timekeeping, 4 minutes yesterday was such a joke that Faes stopped playing to appeal it), and decisions in other matches as well when highlighting how poor refereeing standards are. The sport has come on massively in the last 2/3 decades in terms of pace and complexity and it's pretty clear now that one single referee cannot adequately handle that, problem is that the technology that would help doesn't get implemented (semi automated offsides), the technology that could help gets implemented in such a cackhanded way it becomes not fit for purpose (VAR) and there's zero accountability for poor performances or unprofessionalism - Antony Taylor's cockup with Liverpool v Spurs earlier in the season or Darren England deciding to prepare toVAR for the same match by popping out to the UAE to ref a match there two days before: both just faced a one week championship fixture and were then back in the prem 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bert said:

Yet pretty much every week we are talking about referees that have made honking decisions. 

I'm not convinced we really are. We go looking for any and every mistake, and they all get blown up out of all proportion, and half the time nobody can agree anyway what the right decision was!

And yes, of course refs sometimes make bad mistakes, of course they do, I'm not saying it never happens. Just like players and managers do. Probably every week some professional footballer somewhere misses an open goal - it doesn't mean the standard of football is bad, it just means that every single kick of a ball, or refereeing decision, is now liable to be seen and discussed around the world within minutes of it happening. Hundreds of open goals weren't missed, just like thousands of refereeing decisions were correct.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BertFill said:

I'm not convinced we really are. We go looking for any and every mistake, and they all get blown up out of all proportion, and half the time nobody can agree anyway what the right decision was!

And yes, of course refs sometimes make bad mistakes, of course they do, I'm not saying it never happens. Just like players and managers do. Probably every week some professional footballer somewhere misses an open goal - it doesn't mean the standard of football is bad, it just means that every single kick of a ball, or refereeing decision, is now liable to be seen and discussed around the world within minutes of it happening. Hundreds of open goals weren't missed, just like thousands of refereeing decisions were correct.

as i said before, we know they are human etc so theyll get things wrong, but all we/players/managers want is consistency with decisions and frankly there isnt any, even with VAR

ive only seen one ref who i really rate(of late) and thats Sam Allisson, hes played the game to a reasonable high standard, has common sense and can keep up with the game, every game ive seen him ref either leicester or another hes been excellent

Edited by FrankieADZ

10 hours ago, BertFill said:

Yeah and the bad misses get talked about daily. 

Just look at how Justin was taken out in the build up to the first goal. He would’ve been the covering man. 

6 hours ago, FrankieADZ said:

as i said before, we know they are human etc so theyll get things wrong, but all we/players/managers want is consistency with decisions and frankly there isnt any, even with VAR

ive only seen one ref who i really rate(of late) and thats Sam Allisson, hes played the game to a reasonable high standard, has common sense and can keep up with the game, every game ive seen him ref either leicester or another hes been excellent

And yet he was awful in the Southampton game the other night

13 hours ago, Foxmeister said:

I'm afraid decades of vitriol towards match officials has predictably led to a reduction in the talent pool. We've got exactly what we deserve.

I would genuinely like to see a pundit or manager ref a National League dead rubber at the end of a season and maybe an interactive programme on TV where we can ref a game at home.

Interesting idea for a video game.

7 minutes ago, Bert said:

Yeah and the bad misses get talked about daily. 

Just look at how Justin was taken out in the build up to the first goal. He would’ve been the covering man. 

What annoyed me,was how the foul on Justin was kept quiet and made inconsequential… poor linesman/ref..poor media…

It was defining,so has no showing of yellows to same player.

what is also happening across the profi game and no excuses..

Are how few minutes of extra-time are being clocked..

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Thought JJ was too far behind play to influence it to be honest, he is quick, but not that quick

No chance at all for me. Watch it back. Their lad was pretty much level with JJ. I’d back him against most to at least match them for pace. 

If you watch it, their player doesn't even know Justin is there and I'm not sure if Justin knows where there guy is, he's just stepped across their players path in an attempt to play the guy in the middle offside. It's just a coming together and unfortunately for Justin he's come out of laying on the floor. Me and @Dahnsouff are in agreement, it's a rare day :D

In watching it back, I also noted Vesty desperately trying to step up after being so deep and in doing so, letting their man run clean through with no way of catching him was the kind of stuff I expect to see routinely happening next year if we decide to retain his services.

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

If you watch it, their player doesn't even know Justin is there and I'm not sure if Justin knows where there guy is, he's just stepped across their players path in an attempt to play the guy in the middle offside. It's just a coming together and unfortunately for Justin he's come out of laying on the floor. Me and @Dahnsouff are in agreement, it's a rare day :D

In watching it back, I also noted Vesty desperately trying to step up after being so deep and in doing so, letting their man run clean through with no way of catching him was the kind of stuff I expect to see routinely happening next year if we decide to retain his services.

Time to close me account and get GTFO. lol

• Haha 1