Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 4

https://talksport.com/football/1613013/

James Maddison has gone but Leicester flying under Enzo Maresca – and even Jamie Vardy’s improving
Jason Bourne
24th October 2023, 7:33 am Updated: 24th October 2023, 7:34 am
Enzo Maresca has Leicester City purring again.

Last season’s relegation from the Premier League felt like the end of a golden area, but could it merely be a blip in what’s largely been a positive decade at the King Power Stadium?

Leicester sit top of the Championship having secured a seventh-straight league victory in a comfortable 3-1 win at Swansea on Saturday.

They’re 11 points clear of third-place Leeds. And it’s only October.

But putting last season’s woes hasn’t been an easy task for Maresca.

Almost a dozen senior players left in the summer, including James Maddison to Tottenham and Harvey Barnes to Newcastle.

But it’s been an evolution, rather than revolution as Maresca implemented a patient, passing game to his new squad.

“I always said the same: to change something is possible, but to change something quickly it’s impossible,” the Italian exclusively told EFL All Access on talkSPORT 2.

“It required time. We are working almost for more. What we are trying to do on the pitch every day, we can see it during the game. It’s a process and we are happy because we are in the right direction.

“At least when there is a relegation, most of the players are going to leave and the players that stay are mentally not perfect because of the relegation.

A Golden Boot winner with 136 Premier League goals to his name, but Maresca insists Vardy is still getting better

“You need to work with the new players to let them understand what kind of club this is and with the players that stay here you need to work with them and to give them energy. At the same time, to be honest, what helps a lot are the results!”

Many have predicted an instant Premier League return for Leicester.

Maresca has put together a squad of talented youngsters with a point to prove, blended with players that have top-flight experience.

He also has two Premier League winners to call upon in Marc Albrighton and the evergreen Jamie Vardy.

Conor Coady has been a positive influence – on and off the field – since arriving from Everton in the summer.

“He’s been unbelievable,” says Maresca. “Unfortunately, he has been injured for a long time; two months. Now he’s back with us, but he has been fantastic since day one.

“He helps everyone, talking every time, in terms of leadership at the top.”

Coady may have missed the first few weeks of the season with a broken foot, but he couldn’t keep away from his new teammates.

He was in the dressing room after victories congratulating them on taking another step towards promotion.

The England international also travelled to away games at Huddersfield and Rotherham when most injured players might’ve stayed at home.

Maresca’s still a relative newcomer to the management game.

Leicester is his first full-time appointment since an ill-fated six-month spell at Parma in 2021.

During the interim, he rejoined Pep Guardiola at Manchester City as one of his assistants.

In a relatively short period, Maresca has reinvigorated the club.

Still, he thinks there’s more to come, despite winning 11 of their first 12 matches.

“Hopefully, yes, for sure,” he says. “We have many things to improve. I always said the same. All of them they can improve. All of us, we can improve day by day.

“Stephy Mavididi, Harry Winks, Yunus Akgun, Abdul Fatawu, Cesare Casadei, all of them can improve. Kelechi Iheanacho can improve, Jamie Vardy can improve. Wilfred Ndidi can improve – he’s improving.

“They are improving – all of them – and this is the most important thing for us.”

Maresca is now settled in the East Midlands having relocated from the north-west in the summer.

And family-time is important when he wants to leave football behind – even if it’s just for a few hours.

“The family is happy,” he says. “The kids are happy. My wife, she’s settling good. We moved from Manchester, so it’s not far. I always say that I have four kids. I think now everyone knows!

“During the normal day I spend almost all day [at the training ground], but during the international break I try to spend time with the family.”

The Maresca clan may be only catching glimpses of the manager now, with a trip to QPR on Saturday and a key clash against Leeds six days later.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

We had three world class players, who would've made the starting xi for any team in the world that season. Barca, Bayern, Real, Man City etc

Not having a dig, but Ollie Watkins and Douglas Luiz and John McGinn wouldn't 

We had 3 players who became world class players that season, 2 who had hardly kicked a ball as a regular starter in the Premier League and 1 who hadn't played in the premier League at all. I get your point, but there's nothing stopping any player suddenly becoming a world beater in any given season.

I take the comparisons as a compliment, any "under dog" with even the slightest sniff of doing something special will always be compared to the Great Leicester City side of 15/16, but our title win will always rank above anything that is achieved until someone completely unexpected trumps it, something that is highly unlikely to ever be done. The 'experts' will discuss it in years to come, and anything done by any other team will always rank below what we did. 

So let them compare, it goes to show what we did was special and will be remembered for a very long time

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

We had 3 players who became world class players that season, 2 who had hardly kicked a ball as a regular starter in the Premier League and 1 who hadn't played in the premier League at all. I get your point, but there's nothing stopping any player suddenly becoming a world beater in any given season.

I take the comparisons as a compliment, any "under dog" with even the slightest sniff of doing something special will always be compared to the Great Leicester City side of 15/16, but our title win will always rank above anything that is achieved until someone completely unexpected trumps it, something that is highly unlikely to ever be done. The 'experts' will discuss it in years to come, and anything done by any other team will always rank below what we did. 

So let them compare, it goes to show what we did was special and will be remembered for a very long time

Unless.............. 

ENZO'S Leicester 24/25, takes us to PL title, with 11 pts to spare.. :bounce:

• Like 1

I'm just enjoying the season so far.

The team seem so clinical and getting better. I agree with some of the posters on here, that if we fall behind, I'm not worried about it.

It's the manager we have, Rodgers, didn't have plans to win the match, he just relied on the players to win.

I'm expecting us to win tonight and to play to a plan to win.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MANFACE said:

I'm just enjoying the season so far.

The team seem so clinical and getting better. I agree with some of the posters on here, that if we fall behind, I'm not worried about it.

It's the manager we have, Rodgers, didn't have plans to win the match, he just relied on the players to win.

I'm expecting us to win tonight and to play to a plan to win.

Funny innit..?? 

Not a few months ago we were worried, calculating & asking where when we will pick up points, even for this season.. 

Now we are calculating, when we might drop points.. 

Tho' Fox-DNA, "shit we drop against Sunderland.." Next game, must win" trapdoor opens"

• Like 1

On 21/10/2023 at 08:43, kushiro said:

Wow - talk abour rewriting history. Do people not remember how this forum was split down the middle in mid-Aprl 2016? Half were saying 'Don't worry we'll do it!' The other half were crapping themselves thinking we were going to blow it. I think I may have been in the latter camp!  

Have a look at these comments after Spurs won 4-0 at Stoke (the day after Vardy was sent off v West Ham):

Did we honestly think it would be that easy?   @Ric Flair

I'm not so confident of winning the title after tonight.    @Cornish Lair

It's all gone pear-shaped.  @Kasey Keller

Spurs look superb. I don't think they'll drop another point.  @Dan LCFC

Jonathan Moss could've just cost us the League title.  @Leicesterpool

Anything but a win on Saturday and we have probably blown it. Can't see Spurs losing.  @Larry_LCFC

If we don't beat Swansea I fear it's over. @adam

***in hell I'm scared. Can't see Spurs dropping points.  @Brooksy

But no - somehow this myth has taken hold that Spurs were never in it. 

Said we'd win it after Man City away and didn't fluctuate from that at any point, despite this comment.

3 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Said we'd win it after Man City away and didn't fluctuate from that at any point, despite this comment.

I said it over 60+ years, never wained….but you chose the year…can I have your autograph..:P

Edited by fuchsntf

4 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Fair comment - you were confident right through the run-in. I believe you.

The significance of your comment (and the others) is that had Spurs indeed won their last four, the race would've gone to the last day of the season,  

• Like 1

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/ridiculously-low-james-maddison-transfer-8856715

'Ridiculously low' James Maddison transfer fee secret to rampant Leicester City
The latest Leicester City news from LeicestershireLive as the Foxes once again sweep aside a Championship opponent to continue their promotion campaign

ByBrian Dick
11:03, 25 OCT 2023

Sky Sports pundit Jobi McAnuff has praised the Leicester City hierarchy for the club’s scintillating start to their Championship campaign – not least their decision to sell James Maddison to Tottenham.

The Foxes recorded their 12th win in their first 13 league games on Tuesday night, with James Justin’s first half header enough to seal a 1-0 victory over Sunderland.

City are charging towards an immediate return to the Premier League – at record-breaking pace – with Enzo Maresca confirming his potential as one of the brightest coaching minds in the country and his team not missing the likes of Maddison and Newcastle’s Harvey Barnes.

Asked why the Foxes are ‘standing out so much’, the former Reading midfielder pointed to decisions taken in the summer, not just appointing Maresca but acting decisively on other areas.
“That recruitment in the summer,” McAnuff told Sky Sports. “I think firstly getting a manager in with a clear philosophy and identity but giving him the time to go and implement that throughout preseason. We've seen clubs that come down, maybe lose big players and not quite replace them or either leave it too late in the window.

“You look at Maddison, he went for a lot, you see what he's gone on to do now at Spurs, we’re talking about a £40 million fee which seems ridiculously low for what he's doing, but what it does, it enables them to just get that process going, get the bodies in that they want.

“Harry Winks coming in has been absolutely fundamental, the goalkeeper coming in which was a position they really needed to go and fill. So I think there are certainly some real good examples of that recruitment side and then it's about the manager and obviously a real good squad of players there.”

Co-pundit Keith Andrews praised Maresca. “It's managing the players as well,” the former West Brom man said. “[Jannik] Vestergaard didn't start the season, looked like he was going on to pastures new and it's how you manage that situation. They were itching for the window to close with the squad looking strong. Vestergaard in recent weeks, since Coady's injury when he really cemented his place within the team, has been outstanding.

“They're very, very impressive with everything they've done, how they've approached it, the humility, what's needed to compete and be successful in this league. It's not just about talent. I think that was quite telling from [Kiernan] Dewsbury-Hall, how he spoke about that win and what was needed tonight. It wasn't vintage, it wasn't as fluid as they would have wanted in possession.

“A lot of that goes down to the way Sunderland set up and they could have, should have probably got the second goal to make things a little bit easier. But Sunderland will say they should have got on the scoresheet as well and that would be accurate. But listen what they've done so far has been very, very impressive.”

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, brucey said:

Prefer to only read the Leeds and Southampton forums for reasonable comments about us, as everyone else just repeats the same FFP and parachute payment comments. 

Yes. Nightmare scenario would have been collapse and falling through trapdoor. Parachute payments etc can still lead to wrong purchases 

12 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

The Second Tier podcast predicted Us and Ipswich to be in the top two.

They also predicted Rotherham, QPR and Sheff Wed to be in the bottom three.

They might come out with some clickbait bollocks but not sure why our twitter weirdos get their knickers in a twist just because they thought we wasted money on Coady.

The Coady signing hasn't proved to be great business tbh. He brings leadership blah blah blah it's still significant outlay for a 30 year old with wank stats

1 hour ago, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/ridiculously-low-james-maddison-transfer-8856715

'Ridiculously low' James Maddison transfer fee secret to rampant Leicester City
The latest Leicester City news from LeicestershireLive as the Foxes once again sweep aside a Championship opponent to continue their promotion campaign

ByBrian Dick
11:03, 25 OCT 2023

Sky Sports pundit Jobi McAnuff has praised the Leicester City hierarchy for the club’s scintillating start to their Championship campaign – not least their decision to sell James Maddison to Tottenham.

The Foxes recorded their 12th win in their first 13 league games on Tuesday night, with James Justin’s first half header enough to seal a 1-0 victory over Sunderland.

City are charging towards an immediate return to the Premier League – at record-breaking pace – with Enzo Maresca confirming his potential as one of the brightest coaching minds in the country and his team not missing the likes of Maddison and Newcastle’s Harvey Barnes.

Asked why the Foxes are ‘standing out so much’, the former Reading midfielder pointed to decisions taken in the summer, not just appointing Maresca but acting decisively on other areas.
“That recruitment in the summer,” McAnuff told Sky Sports. “I think firstly getting a manager in with a clear philosophy and identity but giving him the time to go and implement that throughout preseason. We've seen clubs that come down, maybe lose big players and not quite replace them or either leave it too late in the window.

“You look at Maddison, he went for a lot, you see what he's gone on to do now at Spurs, we’re talking about a £40 million fee which seems ridiculously low for what he's doing, but what it does, it enables them to just get that process going, get the bodies in that they want.

“Harry Winks coming in has been absolutely fundamental, the goalkeeper coming in which was a position they really needed to go and fill. So I think there are certainly some real good examples of that recruitment side and then it's about the manager and obviously a real good squad of players there.”

Co-pundit Keith Andrews praised Maresca. “It's managing the players as well,” the former West Brom man said. “[Jannik] Vestergaard didn't start the season, looked like he was going on to pastures new and it's how you manage that situation. They were itching for the window to close with the squad looking strong. Vestergaard in recent weeks, since Coady's injury when he really cemented his place within the team, has been outstanding.

“They're very, very impressive with everything they've done, how they've approached it, the humility, what's needed to compete and be successful in this league. It's not just about talent. I think that was quite telling from [Kiernan] Dewsbury-Hall, how he spoke about that win and what was needed tonight. It wasn't vintage, it wasn't as fluid as they would have wanted in possession.

“A lot of that goes down to the way Sunderland set up and they could have, should have probably got the second goal to make things a little bit easier. But Sunderland will say they should have got on the scoresheet as well and that would be accurate. But listen what they've done so far has been very, very impressive.”

Was Maddisons fee 40 million with add ons or just a flat 40?