Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 4

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

I think we might have a rocky patch at some point, might be about to stat so I'll never be comfortable we're home and hosed until much nearer to the end of the season. It's a brutal league.

It's certainly that..  You just have way too much for the league.  I'd feel the same about us if we'd got a better start and a decent margin over third.  You'll have a few hiccups but most teams won't be able to cope with Leicester this season.  You have the strength in depth to deal with injuries.  I've rarely called "promoted" about any team in October before but I did Leicester.  Friday definitely doesn't change that.  You'll be up with little fuss or bother.

3 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

After these last few days, I find it amazing the difference between the two teams

Leeds & Leicester different media outlets since season begin..

Leicester seem to have a more neutral balanced approach,everybody happy with situation,but by no means going OTT. No promising the world..Even Maresca leans

towards holding that awareness of the reality..

whereas..

Leeds, media outlets,seem to have that Need to chase the stars,recognition to prove they are the uncontested best,even the manager of middle mass success

chasing the proof to be creating a team of extenuating qualities and it’s his defining destination to ride and deliver the crest of the quest..

I don’t know what medical-term-syndrome you can put to it,buts like the wicked queen, constantly needed to be told by all & sundry plus the mirror,so suffering from

WE ARE THE FAIREST IN THE LAND—- Syndrome

I mean I could be cruel and put this on all within those born within the sound of the „bow-bells“ of Leeds…But travelling around and through the dells and having great working colleagues,I have met some Level headed,balanced People from the soul of Yorkshire,but even they have a tendency to have the need  to remind us all from where hence they come,and wear Tyke like an invisible badge of honour…

What are the symptoms of NPD?

People with NPD have a very exaggerated sense of their own importance. Key symptoms include:

• feelings of grandiosity (being superior)
  • fantasising about power, beauty, success and intelligence
  • exaggerating achievements and abilities
  • constantly seeking attention and admiration
  • inflated sense of entitlement
  • Will squeeze dry any thought of negative history by denying it ever happened
  • believing that others are envious of them
  • expecting constant praise and recognition for achievements
  • unrealistic goal setting

base rules for being given the honour of being able to work in Tykeland. 

Then some of our fans just can’t pull themselves out of the steep valley of pessimism 

Delusion of grandeur. :nigel:

Edited by blue blood

6 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

Fair enough.  I'm not exposed to that.  Dragged myself away from active SM engagement years ago.  My mental health is better for it and it doesn't sound as if i'm missing out on a whole lot lol

I am the same actually. I just don’t use it and agree better for it.

Quite a lot gets posted on this forum for example which shows it really. I think you always tend to get the more balanced views from the match going fans not the online lot!

Honestly, many of our fans are already crowning us as champions but the lead over you still makes me nervous. If any club can conspire to throw it away, it is us as we are all or nothing. Never boring, always either sublime or ridiculous. If we go through one of our ridiculous spells, that lead could disappear quite easily.

Hopefully the manager and coaching staff will not allow that to happen mind but it’s far to early to be talking about promotion or titles at this point.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

Quite a lot gets posted on this forum for example which shows it really. I think you always tend to get the more balanced views from the match going fans not the online lot!

Honestly, many of our fans are already crowning us as champions but the lead over you still makes me nervous. If any club can conspire to throw it away, it is us as we are all or nothing. Never boring, always either sublime or ridiculous. If we go through one of our ridiculous spells, that lead could disappear quite easily.

Hopefully the manager and coaching staff will not allow that to happen mind but it’s far to early to be talking about promotion or titles at this point.

Spoken like a true Leeds....Leicester fan lol

3 minutes ago, blue blood said:

Delusion of grandeur. :nigel:

It's not unlike Bayern.. ( Munich) 

Having 100s of Media rag outlets, is what does it.. SM made it worse. 

The fans  celebrations.. no bother there, that's what it's all about.. The banter across regions factory or office floors,

Great. BUT the constant hype of selling Leeds from their local media, or  wandering journalists in national papers, is close to being a Virus.. 

The fans, even way back in my youth and dreaded hooligan period of the 70s,

great pub corner table banter or debate, including both positive & negative thoughts towards others & their own. 

We all applaud ( playing side/system) of Man. City, but we don't tend to get it shoved down our throat.. Where yet another version and reminder pops up on My handy of the favorable  Leeds utd path.. 

8 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

Spoken like a true Leeds....Leicester fan lol

2 double digit point leagues squandered to finish 5th when in 4th the whole season.

Being 7 points adrift in March (in 2015) to win 7 in the last 9 and stay up (going on to win the league).

Before that, the season before promotion we were top in I think February, went on an awful run for months and dropped out of the playoff positions before recovering it on the last day (away at Forest). Then Deeney day in those playoffs.

Literally, such a crazy, ridiculous club and that’s just on the pitch in the last 10 years!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, LCFCJohn said:

2 double digit point leagues squandered to finish 5th when in 4th the whole season.

Being 7 points adrift in March (in 2015) to win 7 in the last 9 and stay up (going on to win the league).

Before that, the season before promotion we were top in I think February, went on an awful run for months and dropped out of the playoff positions before recovering it on the last day (away at Forest). Then Deeney day in those playoffs.

Literally, such a crazy, ridiculous club and that’s just on the pitch in the last 10 years!!

That all happened. Is there any evidence to suggest that it's unique to Leicester though? Don't a lot of clubs experience ups and downs and streaky form both good and bad? Isn't that, just...football? 

18 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

I believe you need to take a step back, many ex-terrasse fans, can only like myself participate because of this forum.. Upto a few years ago, I would come over regularly and take in away & home games, though Membership scenario killed then the off-cuff supporter.. MY health put a stop to then introducing my kids to the club plus my Tigers very close connection.

Our world wide ex-pats fans, for all clubs keep & spread the word, may of even helped KP to decide on our little club. Or yes help needed investment from our so called Plastic fans.. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

That all happened. Is there any evidence to suggest that it's unique to Leicester though? Don't a lot of clubs experience ups and downs and streaky form both good and bad? Isn't that, just...football? 

Well yes..but the point is we seem to be particularly extreme with the ups and downs not only over a period of years but how hot and cold we have been within seasons themselves. 

It’s not like I’m talking about a 5 game unbeaten run followed by 5 game winless run in a season of finishing midtable like all teams face.

I may be wrong, but I can’t think of any other clubs who have been quite as extreme in recent memory but can be stand corrected!

Anyway, as I said before, not a bad thing. It’s what makes it exciting to support us! But also what is stopping me telling anyone who will listen that we are already up and everyone else may as well give up as some are doing!

2 hours ago, Pub breath said:

Well nope and that makes you look a little like your grapes aren't the sweetest.

Seen a few things written about how we supposedly over-celebrated (who set the bar for that?).  Unsure if that's about the fans or the players.  If it's the fans, then that's badly misguided.  We're like that after every win that matters.  Some of the celebrations against nobodies in our promotion season trumped Fridays.  If it's about the players, well that's understandable.  We had a seriously turbulent start, ruined by want away players and the inability to make the signings we needed until we understood the position properly.  Since then, we've had solid automatic promotion form and a win away against the runaway league leaders would obviously be a big deal for those players, proving to themselves that we are as good as anyone now.  Why wouldn't they celebrate?

Saying it's our cup final seems to suggest we have some rivalry with Leicester or don't care about whatever else happens this season.  Neither is true, quite obviously.  The only reasons it mattered is because is made a statement, got 3 vital points in a promotion push and drew you in closer to us, even if it's only by a smidge.  11 points is certainly much better than the 17 it could have been.

I dont think there were any over celebrations that I saw. Nothing no other team/fans would do. 

I don't think it's a stretch to have called it Leeds Cup final though. Not because of any rivalry with Leicester or because I think we're some absolute giant football club Real Madrid should dream of being one day (even if it's true). I'd call it 'Leeds cup final' for the reasons you posted. It was the difference between 11 points and 17. It was one game you simply HAD to win. Which you did whilst playing quite well. 

16 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

I dont think there were any over celebrations that I saw. Nothing no other team/fans would do. 

I don't think it's a stretch to have called it Leeds Cup final though. Not because of any rivalry with Leicester or because I think we're some absolute giant football club Real Madrid should dream of being one day (even if it's true). I'd call it 'Leeds cup final' for the reasons you posted. It was the difference between 11 points and 17. It was one game you simply HAD to win. Which you did whilst playing quite well. 

Nah.

Important match for us, nowt more.  A "cup final" is what small clubs have against their most bitter, generally bigger rivals when they have little else to play for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LCFCJohn said:

I need to dig out the list I made. I think we’ve had two “nothing mental happened” seasons in the last 30 years.

20 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

A "cup final" is what small clubs have against their most bitter, generally bigger rivals when they have little else to play for.

It's OK mate you can acknowledge that Leeds just aren't what they used to be, that Leicester are by far and away the most massive club in this league and that it's basically a cup final for all you other Also Rans that are making up the numbers. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's OK mate you can acknowledge that Leeds just aren't what they used to be, that Leicester are by far and away the most massive club in this league and that it's basically a cup final for all you other Also Rans that are making up the numbers. 

I'm close but not quite ready to be carted off to the padded cell just yet :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pub breath said:

Nah.

Important match for us, nowt more.  A "cup final" is what small clubs have against their most bitter, generally bigger rivals when they have little else to play for.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you I can just see why some would call it that way in a non degrading way. 

5 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Not necessarily disagreeing with you I can just see why some would call it that way in a non degrading way. 

Yeah, perhaps.  One of those internet scenarios when you've ended up somehow involved in discussing something much more than you anticipated or wanted, that doesn't actually matter whatsoever anyway lol

I'm sure i'll view it as time well spent when i'm watching the long strings of drool extend on to my thigh for the very last time.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pub breath said:

Yeah, perhaps.  One of those internet scenarios when you've ended up somehow involved in discussing something much more than you anticipated or wanted, that doesn't actually matter whatsoever anyway lol

I'm sure i'll view it as time well spent when i'm watching the long strings of drool extend on to my thigh for the very last time.

It's been more entertaining than work has been so it's a win for me lol

• Haha 1

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-notebook-vestergaard-ends-8890917?fbclid=IwAR0BnDngyhhEiD8aE-66LyM-LVgGKxrV908-BGOIPsPgffbmeuZvyvo3I0U

Leicester City notebook: Vestergaard wait ends, another Heskey scores and Fatawu wings it into top 10

Jordan Blackwell reports on the latest news, gossip and chat from around Leicester City as Enzo Maresca gets a pat on the back and Foxes youngster makes a big impact

By

Jordan Blackwell

10:00, 8 NOV 2023

Jannik Vestergaard is back in the Denmark squad amid his good form for Leicester City (Image: Paul Marriott/REX/Shutterstock)

Jannik Vestergaard has credited Enzo Maresca’s style of play for helping him return to the Denmark squad. The defender has not played for his country for 17 months while he has been an outcast at City, but after an impressive run of form for Maresca’s Championship table-toppers, he has been called up by Kasper Hjulmand for Euro 2024 qualifiers against Slovenia and Northern Ireland.

Vestergaard is in the squad alongside Mads Hermansen, Victor Kristiansen and Kasper Schmeichel. The 31-year-old centre-back has looked at home in the system employed by the Leicester City boss, and he believes that has allowed him to return to his best. That has helped him convince Hjulmand to give him another try.

“I was of course happy when Kasper called on Monday, because it is always a pleasure to be with the national team and something that I value enormously in my career,” Vestergaard told Ekstra Bladet. “I’m playing at my absolute best level again and I’ll come home with a lot of joy and confidence.

“I simply enjoy playing football. Our manager has a very positive, modern, creative style of play with a lot of possession, where I have a good and exciting role in the build-up game as a kind of playmaker from the back. The plan is for me to set a rhythm and play up through the lines. Our manager has a clear philosophy where we work very tactically, and that is one of my strengths.”

There was no hesitation on Hjulmand’s part in recalling Vestergaard, who was a key player during his country’s run to the Euro semi-finals in 2021. The Denmark boss has been pleased with what he’s seen of the defender at City this term.

“It is very natural with Jannik,” Hjulmand said. “He was close (to a call-up) last time, and since then he has done even better. He is really, really good on the ball. He delivers well and knows our principles in the national team.

“It is a pleasure to have him back, not only for his playing qualities, but also as a person and a leader. He has so much to offer, so we are looking forward to getting him back in.

“He has been through a lot and for a year has experienced the reverse side of the coin at Leicester. He has been sitting on the platform while the train has moved. Now he is back and enjoying his football life. He is back at his right level, and so he is an asset to any team.”

Spurs take on former City scout Mackenzie

During four years at City, Rob Mackenzie was a key part of Steve Walsh’s recruitment team and was involved in deals for the likes of Jamie Vardy, Riyad Mahrez, Esteban Cambiasso, Anthony Knockart and Marcin Wasilewski. Since then, he’s been here, there and everywhere.

He initially left City in 2015 to join Tottenham, and that’s where he is again now. His first stint at Spurs was only brief and between 2018 and 2020 he was working for King Power again as OH Leuven’s head of recruitment.

He then took on the same role at Aston Villa, but leaves after three years to rejoin Spurs. In doing so, he follows Johan Lange from Villa Park, the Dane swapping the West Midlands for North London to become Tottenham’s technical director last month.

Another young Heskey among the goals

How City would love to have Heskey up front scoring goals again. Well, now there’s two to choose from.

It’s been known for a while that Emile’s son Jaden was one to keep an eye on as he progressed through the ranks at Manchester City, and this season he was named captain of their under-18s team. But also making strides is 15-year-old Reigan.

On his debut for the under-18s in the Uefa Youth League on Tuesday, the younger of the two Heskey brothers stepped up to coolly convert a penalty. Older brother Jaden knew he wouldn’t miss.

“It was mad,” Jaden told Man City on hearing the news he would be playing alongside his brother. “He was actually at school at the time and found out there, then I got a text off my mum saying he was playing, then we found out today that he was starting. It was a big surprise, but it was good.

“I had confidence in him, he won it himself and he’s normally very good at penalties. I didn’t think the atmosphere would get to him too much.”

As things stand, both young Heskeys look like making the grade at Man City. But if they don't, surely there must be a place for them back where their dad is so adored?

Fatawu ranks among best young wingers

The statisticians at the CIES Football Observatory have put together another list, this time of the 100 best dribblers in the world under the age of 23. And coming in at number eight is City’s own Abdul Fatawu.

The Sporting Lisbon loanee has already shown City what he can do out wide and has tormented a few Championship full-backs. It turns out, there aren’t many better developing talents right now.

CIES say they’ve used dribbling data combined with league quality to come up with their list, which sees 19-year-old Fatawu one place above Arsenal’s Gabriel Martinelli. At the top is Norwegian prodigy Antonio Nusa, who plays for Club Brugge.

• Like 2

Nice mention on C4 news tonight. Feature on the Republican leadership race with interviews of the American public in a bar. One particular interviewee was supporting a no-hope candidate and remarked to the British interviewer that they would know all about outsiders winning because of what happened with Lie-ces-ter City. 

The World Famous City. That's us. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Nice mention on C4 news tonight. Feature on the Republican leadership race with interviews of the American public in a bar. One particular interviewee was supporting a no-hope candidate and remarked to the British interviewer that they would know all about outsiders winning because of what happened with Lie-ces-ter City. 

The World Famous City. That's us. 

https://www.channel4.com/news/trumps-rival-republican-presidential-hopefuls-stage-third-primary-debate

1 minute 58 seconds in 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1