Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 4

3 hours ago, orangecity23 said:

He doesn't have many opinions on football, but his lyrics make it quite clear he thinks Steve Bruce will "bring me down" - must have watched a great deal of Mike Ashley era Newcastle.

He has indeed watched a side managed by Bruce, but as a Bluenose, it ended more successfully than up north - albeit with a broken heart as “Wigan agreed to pay Birmingham a then-world record compensation for the loss of his services of around £3 million”.

43 minutes ago, nwl fox said:

Whatever happened to Sidnei Tavares anyway?? Sorry @Ric Flair 😂😂

Him and his agent have made some very bad choices. My prediction turned out to be correct. His actions were preventing him from getting a chance here, Rodgers rated him extremely highly. He got a chance as a sign of goodwill and did OK, but still turned down a new deal.

Looks on course for obscurity.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I'd easily have KDH in my top three. 

Hermansen, Vestergaard and Winks are absolutely critical to what we do, they're imperious at beating the block at this level and we don't really have like for like replacements for any of them that could plug the gap. 

Stolarczyk is willing, Hamza has done OK and Coady isn't awful with his feet but it's very obviously a significant drop in our ability to play our when they come in. 

Meanwhile obviously we do have slightly more options in the middle if KDH isn't there. He's not quite priceless in the same regard. 

But we saw against Wednesday what happens when he's out of the team. I do think he's very undervalued by our own support. Not only is he incredible on paper, statistically, just with the old eye test you can see how much more presence we have in the middle of the park when he's there. Yeah he gives it away a bit and that's definitely something he'd have to improve on promotion but he also drives most of our best work in attack. 

Think my top three currently would be KDH, Winks and then I'd find it hard to pick one of Ricardo, Ndidi and Hermansen who are all excellent. 

All the points you make are extremely valid and fair. I’m not at all saying he’s not been good, because he has, pretty sure he’s our leader in GA contributions. Personally I think Wilf has been a bigger miss when he hasn’t played and I think that’s been plain to see, which after the last 18 months is surprising for everyone as is another player that makes my current top 3 performers this season, Vestergaard.

Absolutely key to the way we play, and how we start from the back. He’s remembered how to jump and has become colossal in the air, something we all thought we were getting when he signed which we only started to see this season. 

Then obviously Winks. He’s our quarterback. He makes us tick. Deceptively quick, unbelievable passing ability, works hard and he just gets it. 

Long may it continue. 

• Like 2

On 05/12/2023 at 16:01, lcfc278 said:

You'd have been committed if you'd made this shout last season but you're spot on. He's been brilliant this season and instrumental at both ends like you say. Well played Vesty.

Most fans on here were still doubting it 4 or 5 games into the season!  A few probably still are.

On 05/12/2023 at 15:36, Bert said:

Agree mate, it’s just silly and anything for a bit of content and exposure. Like I said, it’s simply stat peddling, I’d be very surprised if he made many fans top 3 performers in the first half of the season, even though his contributions in games have been really good, on the whole. 

I think he’d make most people’s top 3s tbh. Some of our fans like to champion those that go under the radar over the match winners sometimes, which isn’t a bad thing per se, but it causes people to go too far the other way sometimes and kind of play down just how important the match winning players are. Especially given most them say it’s because of consistency without taking into account that match winning attacking players are always inherently more inconsistent than defensive players or deeper-lying midfield players. 

Dewsbury-Hall has probably earnt us the most points this season and he’d be the player if you took out our side for a mediocre Championship equivalent we’d probably lose the most points by losing. Think he has to be in our top 3 players so far really if not POTS, even if he has also had a couple of stinking performances.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

Anyone else listen to the NTT20 podcast? One of the presenters on there, George Elek, seems to have a real issue with us. He is falling over himself to praise Ipswich and Leeds but any positive comments about us always seem to be qualified or grudging. He also keeps saying Burnley last season were much better than us, even though we are many points ahead of where they were at the same stage of the season. It's been going on right from the start of the season, even during our run of 9 successive wins. Last week he even selected a win for Plymouth at the KP as one of his 3 betting tips for the weekend!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Anyone else listen to the NTT20 podcast? One of the presenters on there, George Elek, seems to have a real issue with us. He is falling over himself to praise Ipswich and Leeds but any positive comments about us always seem to be qualified or grudging. He also keeps saying Burnley last season were much better than us, even though we are many points ahead of where they were at the same stage of the season. It's been going on right from the start of the season, even during our run of 9 successive wins. Last week he even selected a win for Plymouth at the KP as one of his 3 betting tips for the weekend!

Every podcast needs a contrarian in order to cover all areas of engagement - he's just arguing to the contrary in order to catch the attention of Leicester fans. 

Most seasons will have a broader spectrum of contrary thinkers (for example, there are probably more people who will take the 'contrary' position that Man City are on the downward slide) but with us and this season it's very few. 

• Like 1

On 07/12/2023 at 18:57, Sampson said:

I think he’d make most people’s top 3s tbh. Some of our fans like to champion those that go under the radar over the match winners sometimes, which isn’t a bad thing per se, but it causes people to go too far the other way sometimes and kind of play down just how important the match winning players are. Especially given most them say it’s because of consistency without taking into account that match winning attacking players are always inherently more inconsistent than defensive players or deeper-lying midfield players. 

Dewsbury-Hall has probably earnt us the most points this season and he’d be the player if you took out our side for a mediocre Championship equivalent we’d probably lose the most points by losing. Think he has to be in our top 3 players so far really if not POTS, even if he has also had a couple of stinking performances.

Id say Nididi but KDH not far behind & Winks

3 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

My only issue is the now all too familiar 'kante won it for us' schtick - but if memory serves, hardly anyone mentioned the bloke during the season, he was way down the list after vardy, mahrez, even drinkwater.  The moment he went to chelsea the media were all over him as though having a chelsea player in waiting was the only reason we won it.

15 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

My only issue is the now all too familiar 'kante won it for us' schtick - but if memory serves, hardly anyone mentioned the bloke during the season, he was way down the list after vardy, mahrez, even drinkwater.  The moment he went to chelsea the media were all over him as though having a chelsea player in waiting was the only reason we won it.

probably because he was so successful since leaving, so they'd see him as our most important player that season. vardy, kante and mahrez were the 3 world class players that season tho.

26 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

I don't think we would have won it without him, which is slightly different.  I think people say that because he came in that season and then left, whereas those others who we would not have won it without stuck around a bit longer, and other than Mahrez did not go on to win it again.

• Like 1