Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 4

12 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

They did, but you don't think Kante would have made a difference over Mendy who played 9 games.

A Kante who that season was named the PFA Players' Player of the Year, the FWA Footballer of the Year and the Premier League Player of the Season.

Interesting.....

Personally I think we would have done better then 13th in the league.

We finished 31 points off 5th place, as good as kante was that season even he couldn't have mad any realistic difference to us.

Besides, Ndidi played 17 games for us in 16/17 and finished as our highest OPTA ranked player; (mendy only played 272 minutes, King was our most used CM)

Interestingly, in 16/17 Ndidi registered 4 tackles per game, kante 3.6  (who.scored) - kante, also, has never matched his tackles p/g rate he registered for us in 15/16

16 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

yeah, but we're not talking about perception on FT, we're talking about perception in the media.

The worry is that the stronger the media narrative becomes that Kante essentially won us the league on his own or was a level above the rest of the squad, the more fans will buy into that idea and the brilliance of that season will become distorted and move away from the ultimate TEAM performance that it was.

I think most FTers know how things really were.

Again perceptions how one reads the different Media,journalist pundit posts..

I ignore the nonsense and follow my own romantic recall of the good,bad,ugly,fantastic memories of the season…Then nobody spits in your soup

THE CLUB, got the players,manager right….Media,journalists,pundits just watched from the side.line, with the lack of emotions,attachments and carry the big spoon

to do the stirring. No problem they have to earn their tricks somehow…

They can’t wipe out our own very own G.Lineker home tapes and emotions,so truths written through UKs official reporting site BBC…

Sky & BBC, were our precious support that one season..Ovens burnt out around pundit-medialand after so much humble pie cooked digested and more free helpings..

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lillehamring said:

We finished 31 points off 5th place, as good as kante was that season even he couldn't have mad any realistic difference to us.

Besides, Ndidi played 17 games for us in 16/17 and finished as our highest OPTA ranked player; (mendy only played 272 minutes, King was our most used CM)

Interestingly, in 16/17 Ndidi registered 4 tackles per game, kante 3.6  (who.scored) - kante, also, has never matched his tackles p/g rate he registered for us in 15/16

The style we played helped Kante get those stats. 

3 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

They did, but you don't think Kante would have made a difference over Mendy who played 9 games.

A Kante who that season was named the PFA Players' Player of the Year, the FWA Footballer of the Year and the Premier League Player of the Season.

Interesting.....

Personally I think we would have done better then 13th in the league.

We finished 12th not 13th. And yeah we might have finished 9th or 10th but certainly wouldn’t have been challenging for Europe or made any concrete difference to our following season, too many players just played way below their best the following season, Kante couldn’t have really made -*that* much difference. Ndidi also signed in January and did a good job replacing Kante in terms of replacing his tackles and interceptions stats for 2-3 seasons although didn’t have the energy.

Edited by Sampson

Pretty shite again from Percy.

They have same number of points 

A striker who scored goals (Vardy had 15 by Xmas, watkins has 9) 

A manager with something to prove? (bit of stretch comparing Ranieri to Emery)

Big back to back wins. 

Seems to me someone's editor is trying to drum up some sort of competitive league

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

What's happened to Percy the last couple of years? Absolute nonsense 

He's become a Clickbaiter like so many media people.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Big back to back wins. 

Seems to me someone's editor is trying to drum up some sort of competitive league

Think anyone that gets wound up at that probably needs to chill out. There's obvious similarities between our 15/16 season and Villa's current season.

Genuine chance they're top at Christmas.

What i'd say is that no matter what happens it wouldn't top our achievement. I don't think anyone is arguing that either.

• Like 4

On 13/12/2023 at 18:39, Lillehamring said:

3) We finished 31 points off 5th place, as good as kante was that season even he couldn't have mad any realistic difference to us.

2) Besides, Ndidi played 17 games for us in 16/17 and finished as our highest OPTA ranked player; (mendy only played 272 minutes, King was our most used CM)

Interestingly, in 16/17 Ndidi registered 4 tackles per game, kante 3.6  (who.scored) - 1) kante, also, has never matched his tackles p/g rate he registered for us in 15/16

1) Because he was playing for a team who expected more and actually had more of the ball. 

2) Ndidi isn't Kante, he wasn't breaking the lines and countering anything like Kante was. He was integral to how we played. 

3) He was our one absolutely indisputably world class player, a player who dragged others through along with him due to his sheer brilliance and doggedness. 

He'd have made an absolutely massive differnce to us. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Think anyone that gets wound up at that probably needs to chill out. There's obvious similarities between our 15/16 season and Villa's current season.

Genuine chance they're top at Christmas.

What i'd say is that no matter what happens it wouldn't top our achievement. I don't think anyone is arguing that either.

Yep. Who cares if people are comparing Villa's season to ours in 2015/16? There are clearly some similarities along with some obvious differences. Does it really matter? I'd love Villa to do it, personally...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Big back to back wins. 

And let's not forget - all the big 6 teams having a shit season!

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

Got a point . 

He has got a point. We're very lucky to have had the decade we've had. 

Although.... nobody despises Rodgers more than me but to say we finished midtable for a couple of seasons is slightly harsh lol

Granted we bottled top 4 twice but still haha

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

When feeling a bit meh with football I just have to immerse my brain with 2013 to 2021for a pick me up. Still staggering this was our club. I dare not get too carried away but so far this season is a another booster.

wouldn't even say we bottled it. just proof of the financial disparity between the big clubs and everyone else.

7 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Palace were promoted the season before us and have gone: 11, 10, 15, 14, 11, 12, 14, 14, 12, 11 in the league, plus a single FA Cup semi final. 

They got to 15/16 FA Cup final, too. But get your point, must be galling for them for Brighton to come up and overtake them 

• Like 2

4 cup finals, 4 major trophies, 5 seasons in Europe (inc one run to the 1/4 finals of the CL) since the Premiership was formed. I don't think there's another club outside the Euro super league teams who have matched that. 

To think when I was 10 I nearly decided to support Norwich. 

• Haha 4