Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 4

On 22/12/2023 at 19:15, UniFox21 said:

Interesting to see even some of our ex pros are finding this talk disrespectful.

The narrative around us changes every year from how well drilled and gelled the side was. To "the big 6 had off years".

The "Big 6" narrative is ridiculous. In the last 9 years, Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd have won the league a grand total of once between them! 

Its fair to say Man City had a down year, but Chelsea and Liverpool have both been hot and cold in that period. That year was actually a high watermark for Arsenal and Spurs and Man Utd have just not been relevant. 

4 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I've mentioned this before on here, but I remember seeing Lawro on Football Focus, during 2015/16 with his diffident arrogance, and I think the season was well past Christmas. There was a discussion about who would win the league, and when Dan Walker (I think) asked him if Leicester could do it, he said no. A fair enough opinion, but when asked 'why not?', he simply dismissed the question by saying "Because they can't - they won't'", as if that was any sort of explanation for his point of view. He wasn't challenged on it, and I never took anything he said seriously after that - I would imagine a fair few of you were ahead of me in that regard.

I remember a similar discussion with Garth Crooks when we were at least half way through the season. Arsenal had just dropped points to stop them getting closer to us. 

Garth stated: “ … I know Leicester are top and it’s nice and it’s fun, but the real story here (in terms of the title) today is Arsenal …” 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gerard said:

Manchester City only won the Champions League last season because Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich aren't quite the teams they were 10-15 years ago.

That and the fact that they’re an unrelentingly corrupt bunch of cvnts who will have every single trophy removed and should be forced to pay millions in compensation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

I remember a similar discussion with Garth Crooks when we were at least half way through the season. Arsenal had just dropped points to stop them getting closer to us. 

Garth stated: “ … I know Leicester are top and it’s nice and it’s fun, but the real story here (in terms of the title) today is Arsenal …” 

That statement really did sum up the attitude at the time. Some of the so called experts could only just about acknowledge Leicester City as Premier League champions through gritted teeth. So many downhearted and confused when it dawned on them that's it's not just about certain clubs and players. Whatever happened to Crooks and Lawrenson? Not that I give a flying one. 

22 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

And on the other hand I can remember Alex Ferguson calling it quite early when he said we’d win the league. He also called that villa would have a good season after getting stuffed by newcastle on the opening day. One knows his stuff, the other doesn’t. 

I remember this. Think he called it in March

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Spudulike said:

That statement really did sum up the attitude at the time. Some of the so called experts could only just about acknowledge Leicester City as Premier League champions through gritted teeth. So many downhearted and confused when it dawned on them that's it's not just about certain clubs and players. Whatever happened to Crooks and Lawrenson? Not that I give a flying one. 

Crooks still does his Team Of The Week crap on BBC Sport as if anybody cares about his worthless opinions. He was pretty out of order at the start of the season when he said he couldn't take Luton seriously as a Premier League team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iancognito said:

Crooks still does his Team Of The Week crap on BBC Sport as if anybody cares about his worthless opinions. He was pretty out of order at the start of the season when he said he couldn't take Luton seriously as a Premier League team.

He's one of the dinosaurs that just won't leave.

All I've noticed being down here in this division is there is a lot of dick measuring contests going on. I guess that's all people have to shout about when their club has been in the sewer for decades. The opposition are mostly crap, their football is terrible and the online banter is shit. 

• Like 1

On 23/12/2023 at 06:48, Sampson said:

Wtf?

Well how many of that squad were essentially championship (or equivalent) players? - don't read it as a criticism, it's part of what makes the achievement so remarkable.

On 24/12/2023 at 11:05, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

😂 are you serious? Which 2 were your non championship players? 

No you're right, in 2015 they were all effectively championship players, having a go at stepping up to the prem (i was giving mahrez and kante the benefit of the doubt having never played in the championship and clearly far too good to ever play there).  I'm not going to sit and research it but how many of them had actual PL experience before joining us - Simpson, Kasper maybe....?

Part of the magic of us winning it was that we did it with players that had played most of their careers in leagues below the level of the prem.

5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

2nd tier having a field day with us drawing, squad value etc.

Didn't see any of this when Leeds played them with their £35m striker 

tbh got to ignore some of the waffle they say, pretty sure they are farming impressions at this point, 

plus im sure they dont watch the games either, just highlights