Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 4

What’s particularly boring about the squad value / budget argument is that it’s just the cold hard fact of history. 

If Ipswich get promoted they will make signings, their squad value will go up. Will that mean if they are relegated we will see similar tweets about them compared to say Portsmouth in 2025/26? 

Alongside that transfer fees etc are largely contextual to the moment. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CastagnesLasagnes said:

I don't know why anyone gives that 'podcast' attention - half baked opinions just looking for engagements 

It’s two clueless losers loving the sound of their own pretentious voices. I rarely say I hate anyone, but I think I hate those two freaks lol

I know its probably different people but you've got people on here that have spent nearly a decade noshing us off for winning the Prem on a budget. Then people crying because people are pointing out Ipswich are doing class on a relatively small budget.

I hope its different people but I wouldn't be surprised if not :D

• Like 4

I think what we proved in 2015/16 and what Ipswich are proving now is that the gap between success and failure is actually quite slim, it's just really, really hard to get it right and sustain it.

That consistent high performance is what attracts the huge fees and wages, and clubs chasing it can get it really wrong because they're paying many magnitudes more for players who are perhaps only fractionally better than cheaper players and can be overhauled by improving clubs and players with a good structure and plan.

• Like 2

Ipswich are the story of the season. 

I'm happy with that, and they deserve the plaudits they're getting. It actually took a serious amount of mismanagement last season for us to even be a chapter and it would have been a huge disappointment if we weren't fighting for promotion 

All I'm bothered about is that we go back up. I don't care whether that's with a squad that's 15, 20 or 50 times more expensive than the Ipswich squad. The team would still have a 'P' next to it on the final league table 

Edited by Jobyfox
  • Like 3

It really isn’t like Ipswich have come up and have one of the lowest budgets/wage budgets in the league.

They spent money in League one (the largest budget in league one)  and have also invested in the championship to the point where they have the 11th largest wage budget despite being newly promoted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shock as everyone realises that the amount you spend on a player, doesn’t equate to how good they are. 

On paper, we could have a team of Donnarumma, Cancelo, Grimaldo, Bastoni, Koundé, De Jong, Valverde, Ødegaard, Mbappe, Haaland and Musiala. if we’d purchased or picked them all at the right time, you could have that team for £0.

1 hour ago, Charl91 said:

Ipswich are a great story. Would much rather they succeeded over Saints and Leeds. Not worth getting our knickers in a twist about then getting plaudits - they deserve them. 

It is a good story but the 'little old' Ipswich line their fans are playing is largely bollocks. They are a decent size club which should be in the top ten of the second tier 

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

It is a good story but the 'little old' Ipswich line their fans are playing is largely bollocks. They are a decent size club which should be in the top ten of the second tier 

Yep, they have had some fallow years but they are easily a top half championship club

Edited by Tuna

1 hour ago, Charl91 said:

They certainly should be a championship team. But to be storming the championship straight after coming up -  getting close to a record points total with a midtable budget - is way above expectations, especially given that they've not been a premier league club for 20+ years.

Its only the fact that we're doing insanely well that that takes the gloss off their story a little. 

I have no problem with other clubs getting their time in the sun - our club has literally the greatest story to ever happen in football, so I can't begrudge other fans getting excited about their club defying expectations.

Haven’t disagreed with that at all. In fact told everyone in my Birmingham based office that they are the bigger story in the championship this season. 

But Ipswich fans on social media are playing up to some small club staging. They have a decent budget with cash rich owners. Their history is that of a club which has won major honours in relatively recent times. This is where they belong 

3 hours ago, Charl91 said:

Ipswich are a great story. Would much rather they succeeded over Saints and Leeds. Not worth getting our knickers in a twist about then getting plaudits - they deserve them. 

Definitely, because if we’re selfish for a moment, say Ipswich and Bristol City went up with us, you’d have to be fairly confident in our chances of then staying up the season after, whereas if it was say Leeds and Southampton, it feels a little trickier. 

3 hours ago, Charl91 said:

2 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Saints have a better story: from only getting average crowds of 235 in the 20/21 season up to average crowds of 29,020

11 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Definitely, because if we’re selfish for a moment, say Ipswich and Bristol City went up with us, you’d have to be fairly confident in our chances of then staying up the season after, whereas if it was say Leeds and Southampton, it feels a little trickier. 

Southampton play an even more possession dominant style than us, I feel their style would struggle in the PL for many of the reasons we might, and they have an inferior manager.

Ipswich's style I think is more suited to the PL, and after significant squad upgrades with PL money, could do better than us.

Ideally I'd like Southampton to come up with us in autos, and some random team through the playoffs (not Leeds or Ipswich).