Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 4

20 minutes ago, brucey said:

Southampton play an even more possession dominant style than us, I feel their style would struggle in the PL for many of the reasons we might, and they have an inferior manager.

Ipswich's style I think is more suited to the PL, and after significant squad upgrades with PL money, could do better than us.

Ideally I'd like Southampton to come up with us in autos, and some random team through the playoffs (not Leeds or Ipswich).

From what i've seen of ipswich (which isn't a great deal) - they seem to be very limited.  Good at what they do, but that's it - and i suppose some momentum and confidence. But their fast breaking gung-ho style of play is likely to be doomed without a massive upgrade in quality.

And if they started games as they did against us (nervy and sloppy in possession), PL teams will destroy them.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, brucey said:

Ipswich's style I think is more suited to the PL, and after significant squad upgrades with PL money, could do better than us.

I'd suggest that Ipswich would have to replace all eleven players - and us none  - if they were to even have a chance to overtake us in the PL, style suited or not 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, brucey said:

Southampton play an even more possession dominant style than us, I feel their style would struggle in the PL for many of the reasons we might, and they have an inferior manager.

Ideally I'd like Southampton to come up with us in autos, and some random team through the playoffs (not Leeds or Ipswich).

Thats a brave call. I think Ipswich would get absolutely mullered in the PL. You would need a squad the quality of Spurs to try that high intensity style, and they will be a mile off that.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, brucey said:

Can't defended in the Championship, which will be worse in the PL.

Out scoring Championship teams is one thing, out scoring PL is another.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Thats a brave call. I think Ipswich would get absolutely mullered in the PL. You would need a squad the quality of Spurs to try that high intensity style, and they will be a mile off that.

Perhaps I rate Ipswich and McKenna too highly/more highly than most on here. I was impressed with how they played against us and they were much better than I expected (after watching them being shite against Leeds, maybe a one off). 

I don't know a great deal about their recruitment, but if McKenna can identify cheap outcasts who have failed elsewhere such as Hirst, Davis etc and improve them significantly, I figure with PL money he can buy near enough a full squad with sufficient quality to stay up. Their lack of defence is certainly an issue, but I feel like trying to outscore the opposition will still work often enough. 

39 minutes ago, brucey said:

Perhaps I rate Ipswich and McKenna too highly/more highly than most on here. I was impressed with how they played against us and they were much better than I expected (after watching them being shite against Leeds, maybe a one off). 

I don't know a great deal about their recruitment, but if McKenna can identify cheap outcasts who have failed elsewhere such as Hirst, Davis etc and improve them significantly, I figure with PL money he can buy near enough a full squad with sufficient quality to stay up. Their lack of defence is certainly an issue, but I feel like trying to outscore the opposition will still work often enough. 

Staying up first season in the Premier League is a massive challenge for any club no matter their quality or resources.

I never understand the argument that a team “needs another year” as you need to grab the opportunity when it presents itself. If Ipswich fail this year there will be 3 more teams with parachute payments to contend with next year. 

The worst that can happen is that you’re instantly relegated, but with Premier League revenues that give you a massive advantage back in the Championship 

• Like 3

For the first time in ages we were talked about on the 5 Live morning football preview - when they predominantly talk about Premier League teams. They discussed how Palace, Brentford and Forest are all in relegation trouble as Luton seem to be the one who could survive. Then we were talked about as being 'on fire', 'miles ahead' and shouldn't be 'where we are'. 

On 28/12/2023 at 20:50, Bilo said:

I’m not buying Ipswich going up. They’ve struggled over Xmas and the season to date was fundamentally running on promotion self belief. This is petering out, especially once hammered by Leeds and only grabbing a point from us due to a lucky deflection. With players being recalled, banned and injured, they need to spend big in the hope it pays off in promotion - a massive gamble given their lack of resources atm. 

I have Southampton firmly in second place, with Leeds and Ipswich having to settle for the playoff crap shoot. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Koke said:

Screenshot_20231230_152804_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6f3d7d98dba2638fbb3f5dabfff2e752.jpg

Although it's nice to see how highly other fans rate us, I think they are wrong that they put in a decent performance. They're one of the only teams that we've played this season  that looked completely beaten from the first whistle. They're not far outside the playoffs and in the first-half inparticular, they looked completely in awe of us. We are a side that can be got at and the first-half of that game looked like a training exercise for us. 

• Like 2

On 28/12/2023 at 22:23, CosbehFox said:

?

It's a joke about the COVID season, behind closed doors although the numbers are wrong. They had a total of 12,000 in attendance that season (2,000 in two home games when lockdowns were lifted regionally, and 8000 in their final game of the season), 19 league games and 3 home cup games. That's an average of 632 in the league or 545 in league and cup 

4 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Although it's nice to see how highly other fans rate us, I think they are wrong that they put in a decent performance. They're one of the only teams that we've played this season  that looked completely beaten from the first whistle. They're not far outside the playoffs and in the first-half inparticular, they looked completely in awe of us. We are a side that can be got at and the first-half of that game looked like a training exercise for us. 

people seem to be mistaking us taking the foot off the gas and/or not being lethal and putting games to bed at 3 or 4 nil up as them putting in a good performance. 

7 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

For the first time in ages we were talked about on the 5 Live morning football preview - when they predominantly talk about Premier League teams. They discussed how Palace, Brentford and Forest are all in relegation trouble as Luton seem to be the one who could survive. Then we were talked about as being 'on fire', 'miles ahead' and shouldn't be 'where we are'. 

This is why we will cope far better if we do get promoted as we already had a team of Prem quality players and now have a manager that knows what hes doing, a few quality additions should set us up well.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MattFox said:

Noticeable how perceptions of the club have changed in the last decade

It's stark, isn't it? 

We've elevated away from the West Brom / Middlesbrough / Norwich type perception to a whisker away to a West Ham / Newcastle / Leeds / Villa level. 

Add Gary Lineker, bless him, who also still thinks we are punching and as such makes constant self deprecating remarks - well meant modesty, I guess - but bad for business. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

It's stark, isn't it? 

We've elevated away from the West Brom / Middlesbrough / Norwich type perception to a whisker away to a West Ham / Newcastle / Leeds / Villa level. 

Add Gary Lineker, bless him, who also still thinks we are punching and as such makes constant self deprecating remarks - well meant modesty, I guess - but bad for business. 

You do have to wonder how we would be perceived after a couple or more seasons in the championship though. Considering we've had one of the most successful decades out of any club in England including the big six it's arguable that our status as a club has only temporarily increased.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

You do have to wonder how we would be perceived after a couple or more seasons in the championship though. Considering we've had one of the most successful decades out of any club in England including the big six it's arguable that our status as a club has only temporarily increased.

I still perceive Blackburn as a biggish club, as they were polishing the Premier League trophy when I was younger. To me, the games against them feel bigger. In reality, they aren’t really. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MattFox said:

Noticeable how perceptions of the club have changed in the last decade 

Only people that seem to consider us a second tier club are a section of our own fanbase and Alan Smith

i dont remember him ever saying we are a championship club. he has said yo-yo club a few times tho