Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 4

I think, given time, Brendan might be remembered fondly.

The FA Cup really was our holy grail.

And we fvcked up the big clubs for 2 years.

If it wasn't for Covid, I genuinely think we'd have made the top 4, qualified for the Champs League and taken the club to the next level.

A real sliding doors moment.

I still don't think he'll be as fondly remembered as Little, O'Neill, Pearson and Ranieri though.

Even though he achieved more than 3 of those and two of them jumped ship.

Edited by tom27111
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

The FA Cup really was our holy grail.  And we fvcked up the big clubs for 2 years.

If it wasn't for Covid, I genuinely think we'd have made the top 4, qualified for the Champs League and taken the club to the next level.  A real sliding doors moment.

I  still don't think he'll be as fondly remembered as Little, O'Neill, Pearson and Ranieri though.

Does Brian Little really belong in that company?

That list reminds me a bit of Del Boy'a van:

Paris, Milan, Peckham...

Edited by murphy

5 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I'm 44 years old. I started watching us under David Pleat.

For me, and I'd guess anyone around my age, Little gave us hope.

He turned us from the brink of the old division 3 to almost taking us to the promised land.

Arguably the man that started it. Even though we had over a decade of shite in the noughties.

Little did take us to the promised land and then jumped ship as soon as Villa approached (after saying he wasn't going anywhere). 

7 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

He turned us from the brink of the old division 3 to almost taking us to the promised land.

Arguably the man that started it. Even though we had over a decade of shite in the noughties.

But do you remember how much he was hated when he left, the feelings among most supporters were way worse towards little and they are towards Rodgers.

Over time, people have relaxed and realised the immense work he did to turn the club around and get us back to the top flight.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I know, I was there too.  And i remember the acrimony.

I just don't believe that any achievements or 'almosts'  were on the same scale of legends like MON, Don and Nigel.

4 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I’ve often said this, took a club that was on its knees and turned it round on the tightest of budgets, started the momentum that led to all those Wembley finals and O’Neil, yes we slumped for a period but the club had changed, we’d got a new stadium had had success which changed the outside worlds perception of us which allowed us to spring forward again when the conditions were right.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Agree with this.

I started watching under Brian Hamilton. Despite the Filbert Street passion we were a nothing club going nowhere.

Little restored the hope and the excitement. The Wembley trips started then, followed by O’Neill and the League Cups. I really think it was the higher profile that we gained then that ultimately helped us following administration. Just as our PL win and FA Cup give us a much higher profile now 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

The FA Cup really was our holy grail.

And we fvcked up the big clubs for 2 years.

If it wasn't for Covid, I genuinely think we'd have made the top 4, qualified for the Champs League and taken the club to the next level.

A real sliding doors moment.

I still don't think he'll be as fondly remembered as Little, O'Neill, Pearson and Ranieri though.

Not by me.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, murphy said:

I know, I was there too.  And i remember the acrimony.

I just don't believe that any achievements or 'almosts'  were on the same scale of legends like MON, Don and Nigel.

Like I said, we had a decade of utter dross, but I don't believe we'd be where we are without Little.

He made us believe what was possible.

And looking back, with hindsight, I can't blame Little or O'Neill for going. Boyhood clubs.

Easy to say as a middle aged man, much harder to take at the time.

But, we had the last laugh, didn't work out that perfectly for them.

It's still raw that Brendan took us down, but see where we are in 3/5 years...

The club is always bigger than any man.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

It's always like one of those:

Would you prefer England to win the World Cup or your team to win the league?

People answer it seriously like only one could ever happen lol

T’is the very nature of a hypothetical question or proposition, especially those of an unsavoury nature

• Like 1