Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 4

2 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

This is precisely what irritates me when this conversation comes around. When we do well following a relegation people come out of the woodwork talking about “blessings in disguise” and “getting the club back”. They forget about the whole jeopardy that relegation brings.

Turn one way and you’re straight back up.

Turn the other and you fail in the playoff lottery, lose revenues, get stuck in the Championship and become one of the litany of clubs like West Brom, Sunderland, Sheff Wed, Watford or Norwich. Just bobbing around in the division hoping that this is the year they happen upon the magic formula to get them out the league. You could get stuck for a generation. 

If relegation does prove to be a “blessing in disguise” with Maresca coming in and a new trajectory. It’s still a fairly irrelevant conversation. You’d never plan it as a strategy. You’d never gamble the clubs existence in the way described above. 

I’d much rather a history where we sacked Rodgers earlier, stayed in the Premier League, appointment Maresca and started our rebuild from a position of strength. 

We were an established Premier League club. We didn’t need relegation to force a reset. To think anything else is a hangover of the small club mentality we’ve grown up with being historically a yo-yo team. 

(And I don’t even hate Rodgers like some do and blame the club for not acting earlier, to some extent, when it was obvious that he was presiding over a terminal decline) 

Yeah but you answered your own indignation at the question- we did not stay up, we did not sack Rodgers, so your hypothetical outcome is just that hypothetical and worse, unlikely as there is reason to believe it would have happened as you suggest. We did need a way to reset, we were hamstrung by wages, we were stale with a manager who would not walk away and worse we looked like we had become fat and stale as a club. Relegation provided an unpleasant way to address those issues we faced. It’s not ideal, but whilst we have parachute payments, it’s not catastrophic.

I just cannot see why would we sack Rodgers if we had survived, it does not seem especially likely.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Yeah but you answered your own indignation at the question- we did not stay up, we did not sack Rodgers, so your hypothetical outcome is just that hypothetical and worse, unlikely as there is reason to believe it would have happened as you suggest. We did need a way to reset, we were hamstrung by wages, we were stale with a manager who would not walk away and worse we looked like we had become fat and stale as a club. Relegation provided an unpleasant way to address those issues we faced. It’s not ideal, but whilst we have parachute payments, it’s not catastrophic.

I just cannot see why would we sack Rodgers if we had survived, it does not seem especially likely.

Errr…. we sacked Rodgers before we were down. 

My scenario could have transpired with a converted penalty by Maddison or even no Everton goal in their last game of the season 

1 minute ago, Jobyfox said:

Errr…. we sacked Rodgers before we were down. 

My scenario could have transpired with a converted penalty by Maddison or even no Everton goal in their last game of the season 

Do you think we would then employ Maresca if Smith or whoever had saved us? Just feel the rot went far deeper than Rodgers, and the wages situation would remain at PL levels.

Apologies for misremembering, damn whisky and fizz.

9 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Do you think we would then employ Maresca if Smith or whoever had saved us? Just feel the rot went far deeper than Rodgers, and the wages situation would remain at PL levels.

Apologies for misremembering, damn whisky and fizz.

It’s going well, so far, isn’t it?

It could so easily have gone the wrong way if Jesse Marsch had been appointed or we’d been 20 points behind and currently in the playoffs. We’re still not certain of the end result if injuries were to hit us badly. 

Accepting relegation to plan for a rebuild is a bit like blowing your house up because you need a new kitchen.

Anyway. Happy New Year to you :thumbup:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jobyfox said:

It’s going well, so far, isn’t it?

It could so easily have gone the wrong way if Jesse Marsch had been appointed or we’d been 20 points behind and currently in the playoffs. We’re still not certain of the end result if injuries were to hit us badly. 

Accepting relegation to plan for a rebuild is a bit like blowing your house up because you need a new kitchen.

Anyway. Happy New Year to you :thumbup:

Loving were we are, hating how we got here.

A most Happy of New Years to you too. :scarf:

2 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I think, given time, Brendan might be remembered fondly.

The FA Cup really was our holy grail.

And we fvcked up the big clubs for 2 years.

If it wasn't for Covid, I genuinely think we'd have made the top 4, qualified for the Champs League and taken the club to the next level.

A real sliding doors moment.

I still don't think he'll be as fondly remembered as Little, O'Neill, Pearson and Ranieri though.

Even though he achieved more than 3 of those and two of them jumped ship.

we could have qualified even despite / in spite of covid. we had a soft underbelly under him that can’t be denied. we should have been nowhere near where we finished last season, that team should have been in the top 8

2 minutes ago, AllGoneTitsSchlupp said:

we could have qualified even despite / in spite of covid. we had a soft underbelly under him that can’t be denied. we should have been nowhere near where we finished last season, that team should have been in the top 8

Don't disagree.

Look where we are right now having only really lost 4 players.

We lost momentum over Covid, we were at our weakest then.

I've kind of blanked it from my memory, but was it Watford that Chilwell scored against in the last minute?

Then they scored in added on injury time? Craig Dawson? I can't remember. 

But we hold on to win that game, history is totally different. 

Yeah, we didn't.

Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I think, given time, Brendan might be remembered fondly.

The FA Cup really was our holy grail.

And we fvcked up the big clubs for 2 years.

If it wasn't for Covid, I genuinely think we'd have made the top 4, qualified for the Champs League and taken the club to the next level.

A real sliding doors moment.

I still don't think he'll be as fondly remembered as Little, O'Neill, Pearson and Ranieri though.

Even though he achieved more than 3 of those and two of them jumped ship.

Not for me, I think it’s oversimplifying to say Covid ruined our chances of top 4. Our form after getting pumped by Liverpool on Boxing Day 2019 until when the league was suspended wasn’t disastrous but was definitely patchy, it was quite clear we were wobbling a bit. We were beaten by Southampton, Burnley and Norwich in that period. That’s quite bad.  

A 0-0 draw on Valentines Day 2020 at Molineux being the nadir of frankly ****ing terrible football games. 

7 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Like I said, we had a decade of utter dross, but I don't believe we'd be where we are without Little.

He made us believe what was possible.

And looking back, with hindsight, I can't blame Little or O'Neill for going. Boyhood clubs.

Easy to say as a middle aged man, much harder to take at the time.

But, we had the last laugh, didn't work out that perfectly for them.

It's still raw that Brendan took us down, but see where we are in 3/5 years...

The club is always bigger than any man.

I think your last line here sums up just why many (myself included) will never remember Rodgers fondly and always consider him a rat. He made it the other way round. 

For me, it isn’t all about winning a trophy or even being in charge of the club being relegated (I know technically Rodgers wasn’t for the latter but the course was set) that make or break a manager. It is everything in between.

I don’t remember for example, Micky Adams or Ian Holloway negatively despite them managing us when relegated as they were decent guys and at least tried their hardest with what they had and came up short. 

the rodgers crap, we was crap long before last season, and it all caught up with us

thats all in the past now, what will be will be, Lets all just enjoy the ride we are on atm; as much as the premier league is the "promised land" , you have to admit, the football league is far more enjoyable

9 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

Agree with this.

I started watching under Brian Hamilton. Despite the Filbert Street passion we were a nothing club going nowhere.

Little restored the hope and the excitement. The Wembley trips started then, followed by O’Neill and the League Cups. I really think it was the higher profile that we gained then that ultimately helped us following administration. Just as our PL win and FA Cup give us a much higher profile now 

It was also due to moving to Freeman's Wharf. Although that was a contributing factor to the mess the club found itself in. But it did raise the clubs status. 

10 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

But do you remember how much he was hated when he left, the feelings among most supporters were way worse towards little and they are towards Rodgers.

Over time, people have relaxed and realised the immense work he did to turn the club around and get us back to the top flight.

The difference is that people wanted Little to stay no one seriously wanted Rogers.

Don Claudio, the most beloved man in Leicester, won a trophy with us before looking nailed on to take us down the following year. The board acted cold and swift to do what's right for the club.

Rodgers, the most hated man in Leicester, won us a trophy before looking nailed on to take us down the following year. The board slept on any decision and it cost us.

Had the board acted as swiftly, has reputation would not be tarnished. I wasn't the biggest fan of his personality, but he delivered success to my club and had us challenging at the very top so I respect him for that.

The Rodgers thing always felt like a bubble waiting to burst even when we were doing well, did anyone else get that feeling? I guess the Bournemouth capitulation was the cause of that for me, but I was always uneasy under Brendan despite the early success. 

Not that he isn’t a good coach because his record indicates that he is a good football coach but he is utterly abysmal at the psychological side of things. 

Edited by Lionator
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, wardyfox86 said:

Don Claudio, the most beloved man in Leicester, won a trophy with us before looking nailed on to take us down the following year. The board acted cold and swift to do what's right for the club.

Rodgers, the most hated man in Leicester, won us a trophy before looking nailed on to take us down the following year. The board slept on any decision and it cost us.

Had the board acted as swiftly, has reputation would not be tarnished. I wasn't the biggest fan of his personality, but he delivered success to my club and had us challenging at the very top so I respect him for that.

I think we need to wait for biographies from the likes of Soyuncu, Tielemans and even Vardy, so we find out if BR really did damage players' careers. There was something seriously wrong in the last season and a half. Truth will out.

3 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

I'd guess he probably is a good coach for improving players but just a crap manager. Either way, Brendan Rodgers is responsible for the biggest downfall we've had. He may have won a trophy but he absolutley ruined us. 

I’ve said before: deserves to be in the conversation about our best ever managers. Unfortunately he also should be in the conversation about our worst ever manager.

• Like 3