Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 4

14 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

Top of the table clashes will be hyped up at the time, but ultimately it’s just another 3 points. Strangely enough the exact same points total we got for beating Rotherham 

Funnily enough this is exactly what Enzo keeps saying. I seem to recall another Italian manager we once had who insisted that the most important game was always the next one. Seemed it worked out quite well if i remember

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Eh. Like I've said before, their whole shtick is making out that the Championship is the most exciting, competitive, difficult league in the world. At the start of the year they were predicting Middlesbrough ( lol ) would win the league and that the newly relegated sides would struggle, including us. 

When we won our first few games the narrative had to be that we weren't playing well and that we were getting lucky because they were desperate for us to struggle. 

When we continued to win and continued to make the league look easy they had to pretty much just continue to moan about it and try and put it down because if we absolutely piss the league it debunks a lot of their hype about the amount of quality that's supposed to be in here. They like Leeds BECAUSE Leeds are struggling an acceptable amount and also because they play football that's a bit, I suppose, less "pretentious."

The narrative will no doubt shift at the end of the year when we smash every record going, they'll just use us to have a moan about parachute payments and how unfair it all is which, not gonna lie, is probably right. None of us are pretending that it's a level playing field and I think we all acknowledge we're too good to be here and never should have been. But it's not like we fvcking wanted to get relegated. 

well the bookmakers did not think the newly relegated clubs would struggle seeming they had us then Leeds first and second to win the championship and Southampton in the top six in the betting 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, lcfc old boy said:

well the bookmakers did not think the newly relegated clubs would struggle seeming they had us then Leeds first and second to win the championship and Southampton in the top six in the betting 

Saying we'd all go back up first time isn't really the contrary opinion that'll drive listeners/engagement though, is it?

28 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Eh. Like I've said before, their whole shtick is making out that the Championship is the most exciting, competitive, difficult league in the world. At the start of the year they were predicting Middlesbrough ( lol ) would win the league and that the newly relegated sides would struggle, including us. 

When we won our first few games the narrative had to be that we weren't playing well and that we were getting lucky because they were desperate for us to struggle. 

When we continued to win and continued to make the league look easy they had to pretty much just continue to moan about it and try and put it down because if we absolutely piss the league it debunks a lot of their hype about the amount of quality that's supposed to be in here. They like Leeds BECAUSE Leeds are struggling an acceptable amount and also because they play football that's a bit, I suppose, less "pretentious."

The narrative will no doubt shift at the end of the year when we smash every record going, they'll just use us to have a moan about parachute payments and how unfair it all is which, not gonna lie, is probably right. None of us are pretending that it's a level playing field and I think we all acknowledge we're too good to be here and never should have been. But it's not like we fvcking wanted to get relegated. 

Which is ridiculous as clubs do not receive parachute payments on the year that they are promoted. If we get promoted this year we will have received a grand total of £0 in parachute payments. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Noahfence said:

In their defence it must be hard trying to cover that many teams and the podcast is a good listen 

For sure, if they acknowledged this rather than pretending to be extremely knowledgeable on all then they'd get a lot less stick

55 minutes ago, lcfc old boy said:

And there is a reason for that.

Bookmakers are multi-billion pound, commercial operations with amazing proprietary data sets and huge teams of analysts (including "ears on the ground") working 24-7. They make money by getting predictions right. 

The podcast is put together by part-timers who get their "data and insight" from watching highlights and reading social media and news sites. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Noahfence said:

In their defence it must be hard trying to cover that many teams and the podcast is a good listen 

Agree on the first point. Disagree with the second.

I tried to give it a listen, I really did. But they offer nothing – no insight whatsoever, no information that hasn't already been made available through official channels. 

It's like listening to some random blokes at the table next to you at the pub talk about football. Just days after the games took place, so by the time you hear them natter on, you've already read, seen and heard it all before. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Noahfence said:

Anyone else been listening to the NTT20 podcast? You can tell that George Elek just wants us out of this league lol all season it feels like anything positive he’s said about us has been through gritted teeth. Latest podcast said nothing remotely complimentary about us just that we’d played weak opposition. Which I guess is true, but can only beat who’s in front of you. The other guy always seems very fair though

I've listened all season and I do agree about Elek. I think they're genuinely quite clued up and they both see football quite similarly to how I do but I do think Elek in particular does seem to have a bit of a gripe. I mean he's called Leeds better than us a few times and that's just demonstrably not true now.

Haven't listened to this weeks. I definitely know more about the EFL than I did six months ago. The betting show is a cracking feature for anyone who does it - definitely a net positive for me this season in that department put it that way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HitchinFox said:

Agree on the first point. Disagree with the second.

I tried to give it a listen, I really did. But they offer nothing – no insight whatsoever, no information that hasn't already been made available through official channels. 

It's like listening to some random blokes at the table next to you at the pub talk about football. Just days after the games took place, so by the time you hear them natter on, you've already read, seen and heard it all before. 

That’s fair enough, I never usually listen to the whole thing just what they have to say about a few championship games. They’re a lot better than “The second tier” podcast however, they just want clicks on Twitter 

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

I've listened all season and I do agree about Elek. I think they're genuinely quite clued up and they both see football quite similarly to how I do but I do think Elek in particular does seem to have a bit of a gripe. I mean he's called Leeds better than us a few times and that's just demonstrably not true now.

Haven't listened to this weeks. I definitely know more about the EFL than I did six months ago. The betting show is a cracking feature for anyone who does it - definitely a net positive for me this season in that department put it that way.

Yeah as a whole i think it’s a decent podcast for people who maybe just want a quick update on how the EFL is going.

I really shouldn’t care what he has to say about us but it does make me laugh the stuff he comes out with, been like it all season. I think they had us finishing 4th in their pre season predictions.  

4 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

listened to their predictions before the season. one of them(don't know who) said we had the worst  squad of the teams to come down lol 

6 hours ago, Finnegan said:

but in our case we're not dominating the league exclusively because of the parachute payments - yes, they were helpful financially, but, if i'm not mistaken, the money has all gone on paying the interest on the loans.

Any signings have been as a result of the sale of our best players, not the parachute payments,

I know that is over simplifying things, but to right off what we're achieving as merely the result of parachute payments wouldn't be entirely fair; and year in, year out, parachute payments are no guarantee of a successful first season in the EFC - so it's a bit of a weak complaint if that's the best they've got.

On 02/01/2024 at 17:53, Noahfence said:

Anyone else been listening to the NTT20 podcast? You can tell that George Elek just wants us out of this league lol all season it feels like anything positive he’s said about us has been through gritted teeth. Latest podcast said nothing remotely complimentary about us just that we’d played weak opposition. Which I guess is true, but can only beat who’s in front of you. The other guy always seems very fair though

We've played every single team in this division now, if we've only played weak opposition maybe this league is just full of pub players...