Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 4

On 02/01/2024 at 17:53, Noahfence said:

Anyone else been listening to the NTT20 podcast? You can tell that George Elek just wants us out of this league lol all season it feels like anything positive he’s said about us has been through gritted teeth. Latest podcast said nothing remotely complimentary about us just that we’d played weak opposition. Which I guess is true, but can only beat who’s in front of you. The other guy always seems very fair though

I listened to George's sister Anne a few years ago and she has an interesting theory about Brontosauruses !!

6 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Yeah, but then some ass came along and made it 21… why would you do that? 

6 hours ago, ARTY_FOX said:

The only thing to do now is justice for @Wolfox and remove the lot. 

2 hours ago, bmt said:

He said 20+ tbf

@bmt gets it…. It was an emotional moment going through the 20…

I could always add that I don’t like some posters opinions that Rodger’s isn’t a nob for 20+ more?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

but in our case we're not dominating the league exclusively because of the parachute payments - yes, they were helpful financially, but, if i'm not mistaken, the money has all gone on paying the interest on the loans.

Any signings have been as a result of the sale of our best players, not the parachute payments,

I know that is over simplifying things, but to right off what we're achieving as merely the result of parachute payments wouldn't be entirely fair; and year in, year out, parachute payments are no guarantee of a successful first season in the EFC - so it's a bit of a weak complaint if that's the best they've got.

It’s only received at the end of the season. 

There’s differing evidence to if we even receive it if we go straight back up. 

14 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

he's called Leeds better than us a few times and that's just demonstrably not true now.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they're closer to 17th place now than they are to us lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

We absolutely do get it, and whilst you don't get it until the end of the season, all clubs will use that guaranteed income to budget. So, it will have, in theory, been spent already, but certainly not all on loan repayments. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they're closer to 17th place now than they are to us lol

I know before they beat Birmingham they were the same points away from them in 20th as they were from us. I still sort of get the idea that Leeds on their day have the highest ceiling, but we are far more consistent and that's why we'll get an autos place and they won't. Southampton have been a lot more consistent than them as well.

I'm just listening back and I agree with the criticism - he's hit the point of bias now. You can't call a run of 8 wins, 2 draws and 0 losses all "easy fixtures" when we've been away to the teams in 2nd, 5th and 9th in that period. We have had kind home games but part of it is how easy we're making them look, and who exactly are Southampton playing that we're not?

Like you (I think) said, it is simply because what we are doing this season is rendering a lot of the foundation of the podcast to be untrue and they have more time for Leeds because their ineptness has fitted into this. I think compared to say Ipswich we probably don't deserve loads of praise but compared to Leeds we do.

It’s just piss poor from someone who considers himself a journalist. 

In December, we won at West Brom where Ipswich and Leeds dropped points.

Won at Birmingham where Leeds and Ipswich dropped points.

Did the double over Rotherham who’ve taken points off the other top three sides. 

Double over cardiff who pinched points off Leeds. 

Also played Ipswich away. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Sure - the observation was made purely based on us actually receiving said payments. That it's not even guaranteed makes it even less of a factor than people are making it out to be (though it is undoubtedly good to have)

39 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Receive what the parachute payment?

Yeah. I’ve seen dodgy sources suggest there is no payment if immediate promotion whilst other more assured articles say you receive a single parachute payment but no obviously no further payments 

Guest Kopfkino
7 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Yeah. I’ve seen dodgy sources suggest there is no payment if immediate promotion whilst other more assured articles say you receive a single parachute payment but no obviously no further payments 

I mean obviously you get paid it - the fact that you can borrow from Macquarie against it tells you that it definitely gets paid otherwise have Macquarie has no security this season and we’re potentially insolvent for a bit. At the end of the day you still have a cost base you have to cover for that season which is what the parachute payments are for.

It is that you don’t get paid seasons 2 and 3 - that instead gets divvied up between the EFL clubs I believe

26 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

We 100% receive the payment for 23/24 even if we get promoted at the end of the season.

4 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I know before they beat Birmingham they were the same points away from them in 20th as they were from us. I still sort of get the idea that Leeds on their day have the highest ceiling, but we are far more consistent and that's why we'll get an autos place and they won't. Southampton have been a lot more consistent than them as well.

I'm just listening back and I agree with the criticism - he's hit the point of bias now. You can't call a run of 8 wins, 2 draws and 0 losses all "easy fixtures" when we've been away to the teams in 2nd, 5th and 9th in that period. We have had kind home games but part of it is how easy we're making them look, and who exactly are Southampton playing that we're not?

Like you (I think) said, it is simply because what we are doing this season is rendering a lot of the foundation of the podcast to be untrue and they have more time for Leeds because their ineptness has fitted into this. I think compared to say Ipswich we probably don't deserve loads of praise but compared to Leeds we do.

About hits the nail..

But hquite honestly,I was hoping podcasts might give better perspectives & opinions over the forums..Sorry I reckon most are producing bias crap & nonsense

Jack-Ass for football supporters seems to come out of most of them..

Most seem platforms for poor quality Pundits,because they can’t hold back on their envious-bias…

Ric.s try’s to make a better go of it…but not my cup of tea…

Far better decorum and balanced posters on most Forums than podcasts.

11 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

About hits the nail..

But hquite honestly,I was hoping podcasts might give better perspectives & opinions over the forums..Sorry I reckon most are producing bias crap & nonsense

Jack-Ass for football supporters seems to come out of most of them..

Most seem platforms for poor quality Pundits,because they can’t hold back on their envious-bias…

Ric.s try’s to make a better go of it…but not my cup of tea…

Far better decorum and balanced posters on most Forums than podcasts.

Like I said though I do think they're a net positive on the whole, I just think one of them in particular has a gripe with us because we have made the league look the total opposite to everything they sell it on. I'll still listen to it despite this.

Guest Kopfkino

One of the most insane things I’m sure I will read all year and evidence that democracy, at least when it includes Coventry, is questionable. Like even if you accept our home atmosphere is crap now, this fella will never have experienced an atmosphere like Sevilla at home. I really hope we don’t return to this league anytime soon (not that we were meant to anyway), it’s so ****ing small time.

“It sounds crazy, but I genuinely would not swap our last 10 years for theirs. The League Two and League One promotion seasons were the most enjoyable I've had following this club ever*. Got to visit so many grounds we'd have otherwise never had the chance to. In that time our home and away support has grown massively. We get praise wherever we travel and I've lost count of the amount of fans who have said our home support is the best they've seen for many years. 

Compare that to Leicester's sterilised day-tripping happy clappy shit fans. 95% of their stadium was mute at their place earlier this season until they piped up for 5 minutes after their second. No thanks.

*Obviously 90% of this forum were not here back then, so you'll have to trust me on this.”