Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Wilfred Ndidi

4 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Can Wilf play as an attacking midfielder in the PL, as he did last year in the Championship? Almost certainly not. Can he return to the imperious defensive midfield destroyer he was in 2017-21, as opposed to the chasing-shadows, highly ineffective defensive midfielder he was in the following two seasons in the PL? Possibly, but very possibly not.

On balance I'd prefer it if another club took that gamble.

No

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

Who says he can't get a gig elsewhere?

Looks to me like he's not rushing his options. 

You may be right.

I just don't think you are. If he renews here, it'll be because he couldn't get anything better...and that will be due to fitness issues, and the fact that he just isn't very good anymore. (Yes yes I know he did well in the first half of last season)

Just an opinion...before people get upset.

5 minutes ago, James_lcfc said:

You may be right.

I just don't think you are. If he renews here, it'll be because he couldn't get anything better...and that will be due to fitness issues, and the fact that he just isn't very good anymore. (Yes yes I know he did well in the first half of last season)

Just an opinion...before people get upset.

Or I could be that he's really happy here and is only willing to leave for a great opportunity.

I would really like to see him sign a new contract and think that a combo of him and Winks as the BWM/DLP duet at CM with a 10 in front could work very well. 

I also think his stint as an 8 last year will make him a more complete no.6. We all know he has the ability to win the football, now he might be more confident and competent once he has it to recycle play and pass it off to team-mates who will start attacks. 

4 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Or I could be that he's really happy here and is only willing to leave for a great opportunity.

He is I read doing a business degree at the uni, so that could be a factor

People talking about him being older... he's 27. Christ alive, that's supposed to be your prime. 

As long as his wage drops, keeping him is a no brainer. We don't have the money to spend on ANOTHER central midfielder, especially one of Wilf's calibre. 

I think this is done, Mavididi posting on social media to him to sign it just wouldn't happen if Wilf was leaving in my opinion. Club are just as always slow to announce/holding off.

• Like 1

I would like to keep him but if he's casting about and stalling then get rid. We don't want another Tielemans situation with a player uninterested in play for any great period of time. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gevans_97 said:

People talking about him being older... he's 27. Christ alive, that's supposed to be your prime. 

As long as his wage drops, keeping him is a no brainer. We don't have the money to spend on ANOTHER central midfielder, especially one of Wilf's calibre. 

I think this is done, Mavididi posting on social media to him to sign it just wouldn't happen if Wilf was leaving in my opinion. Club are just as always slow to announce/holding off.

I cannot see his wage dropping, he'll want a nice pay day but I do agree at least it's one less player to fork out for.

My worry is his fitness, let's say he signs for three years on a big wedge, has the consistent form and injury problems of the last few years - we are yet again stuck with a high earner we can't move on and still have a hole in the squad.  

Overall I have mixed feelings about this, one of those 50/50 sort of situations.  

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

I would like to keep him but if he's casting about and stalling then get rid. We don't want another Tielemans situation with a player uninterested in play for any great period of time. 

I also considered this, but I think he put in a good shift last year when fit and that was his final year of contract and in a lower league.  Could easily have dialled it in but didn't.  

Would like to think if he re-signs he will be energised and professional enough to be committed to the cause. 

Of course, it could go the other way and once he gets a new contract he puts his feet up.  But I am going to be glass half full today! 

2 hours ago, Fox1norfolk said:

He is I read doing a business degree at the uni, so that could be a factor

He must have finished that by now, unless he's doing it p.t. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gevans_97 said:

Some players peak earlier than others. Ndidi's form dropped massively in his last two seasons in the PL with us. He was awful for much of the time. Yes, this coincided with the team generally being in decline, but even in a poorly-performing side Wilf often stood out as one of the worst performers. He went from being statistically one of the best tacklers in Europe to being almost ghost-like, wandering around with no physical presence.

It is of course possible that his drop in form can be attributed to a combination of injuries and the team's general decline, and he will be able to return to the form he showed in his first few years with us. But giving him a bumper contract based on the hope that he can return to former glories must surely be regarded as a major risk?

Edited by ClaphamFox

33 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

It’s nothing like the Tieleman’s situation, he was running down his contract, if Wilf is with us next season it means he’s signed a new contract.

Just now, hackneyfox said:

It’s nothing like the Tieleman’s situation, he was running down his contract, if Wilf is with us next season it means he’s signed a new contract.

In the absence of a better offer - much like Tielemans was in the last 2 seasons of his contract.

That's the comparison I'm trying to make here. Tielemans sat around for two years (metaphorically) waiting for a better offer and it showed in his performances. If Wilf signs on in the absence of a better offer we'll be in much the same position. A player who is with us as a last recourse rather than wanting to play for us.

I'm surprised you didn't get that.

29 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

In the absence of a better offer - much like Tielemans was in the last 2 seasons of his contract.

That's the comparison I'm trying to make here. Tielemans sat around for two years (metaphorically) waiting for a better offer and it showed in his performances. If Wilf signs on in the absence of a better offer we'll be in much the same position. A player who is with us as a last recourse rather than wanting to play for us.

I'm surprised you didn't get that.

Too completely different scenarios and as I generally take the more positive view I’m reading it as Wilf is more than happy to stay unless a better offer comes in.

That's a common sense approach which we’d all take.

6 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Not going Celtic

https://celtsarehere.com/wilfred-ndidi-agent-respond-celtic-speculation/

His agent told us “Wilfred is unfortunately not coming to Celtic. The news is false”.

I think his wage demands might be a little too high for an SPL team.  He currently earns more than Celtic’s TV revenue.

7 hours ago, Gevans_97 said:

You realise he's not actually 27 right?