Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Southampton Match Thread

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

Most significant thing tonight is context. 

These give you an absolute clear indication of how difficult it is to play football this way, what the risks are of doing it when you don't have good enough players or a good enough coach. 

We've had some scary moments this year as we adjust to the new defensive shape but absolutely nothing like shipping nine goals in two games. 

Work Enzo has done so far has been amazing. Also, slight aside, listening to him shouting go go go to a young winger encouraging them to take a player on? Take fvcking note Brendan you cvnt 

Largely agree with this, we have huge defensive frailties still and as awful as Southampton are we have given them too many opportunities to punish us and that's been a theme of this season. I'm not getting carried away yet, I don't think it's "clicked" yet as some may feel, but I think tonight we've been competent enough to take advantage of some of the worst defensive structure i've ever seen from the opposition tonight.

One more thing, for fans who were bored in previous games and concerned about our attack. That was totally fair criticism, but I think Maresca has shown us that when taking over as a coach of a team that has got relegated, you first need to sort out the basic structure and foundation from which to play from.

Some of Southampton's attacks are quite nice, but the huge difference is that when we lose it, we look like we can recover and get back in time. Southampton are totally open time and time again when they lose it. They focussed on the attack, we focussed on the defence first. We still don't have very many clean sheets, but we don't concede that many clear-cut chances either.