Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Southampton Match Thread

Just now, Bilo said:

Agree there.

Southampton probably have the best technical players besides us in this division, have tried to much our style and ended up being humiliated. 

Winks, Vestergaard, Hermansen, Pereira have looked absolutely untroubled by their press all night. 

• Like 2

Just now, An Away Move said:

Should Mavididi have passed? I think so. Does scoring instead make it the right option? Discuss!

Possibly, given that he has had that choice 5 times tonight - passed twice and we scored on both occasions (Vardy & Ndidi) - 3 times taken the shot and scored once.

But the fact he has been in that position 5 times in an away match shows his talent

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

For me my criticism prior to tonight was based on me feeling like we were trying to bypass the structure bit and run before we could walk. After 2 years of getting the basics wrong It's been concerning to see us creating so many needless opportunities for the opposition, even tonight I think we've created most of Southampton's chances by just trying to overplay.

Hopefully this is a defining moment for us as so far this season I think we've ridden our luck too often, tonight we've played well but with how awful Southampton have been I still think it's hard to judge lol

You are a hard guy to please!

No doubt that their best chances came from us overplaying, but that was ALWAYS going to be the case when implementing a new system. Whenever I see Arsenal or Brighton concede, it's also due to overplaying, and these are two of the best teams in Europe at playing it out.

Many people had Southampton down as favourites for the Championship title, and we've just gone away and spanked them, and could have scored a ton more.

I do rate you, because you have more of a pragmatic take whereas I will fully admit I am a glass half full kind of a guy. But at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I cannot stress how difficult it is to get a team of strangers to play such cohesive football in such a short space of time. You (and many others) judge us like we are a team that has played 50+ games together. We've not even played 10! If a coach can drill a team like this in such a short space of time, it's hard not to see Enzo Maresca becoming one of Europe's top coaches. If these mistakes are still present after game 34 of the season, then I'd agree with what you are saying. I expected us to be about midtable by now with some good flashes, but structural problems. We are well ahead of schedule!