Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Southampton Match Thread

26 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

You are a hard guy to please!

No doubt that their best chances came from us overplaying, but that was ALWAYS going to be the case when implementing a new system. Whenever I see Arsenal or Brighton concede, it's also due to overplaying, and these are two of the best teams in Europe at playing it out.

Many people had Southampton down as favourites for the Championship title, and we've just gone away and spanked them, and could have scored a ton more.

I do rate you, because you have more of a pragmatic take whereas I will fully admit I am a glass half full kind of a guy. But at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I cannot stress how difficult it is to get a team of strangers to play such cohesive football in such a short space of time. You (and many others) judge us like we are a team that has played 50+ games together. We've not even played 10! If a coach can drill a team like this in such a short space of time, it's hard not to see Enzo Maresca becoming one of Europe's top coaches. If these mistakes are still present after game 34 of the season, then I'd agree with what you are saying. I expected us to be about midtable by now with some good flashes, but structural problems. We are well ahead of schedule!

I often feel like a broken record on here and I do tend to vocalise the more pessimistic side of things but I think many of us do that. We've been spoiled for years and we've seen just how fast it can be thrown away.
Completely agree with you, the job Maresca has on his hands is huge, and I don't think us fans even see a fraction of the job he's doing to be grinding out results and getting over the line with such a monumental shift in style, asking players to play positions they have never played, playing roles they've never played. Who'd have thought Ndidi would be playing as a makeshift Box to Box/Attacking midfielder and actually doing okay? Ricardo slotting into midfield? Yannick Beckenbauer defending with 50 yards behind him etc etc. 
And I do admit often I'm probably a bit harsh in terms of the standards I expect, and the results i'm ecstatic with, but I do feel like before tonight we have looked at times like a team who had only played 10 games as I think often we've been a bit disjointed. That's not to say we won't improve, I thoroughly believe we will continue to improve, however I think many fans take the approach of just assuming it will definitely click soon and we will set sail on HMS PTL, for me I'm a bit more cautious on that front, once it starts to flow and we put together performances like tonight 3-4 games in a row I will soon come around.

I fully back what Enzo is trying to achieve, I was excited by the prospect of what he wants, I'm very much a fan of the Red Bull system so seeing a manager who wants to build up play with players drifting all over the pitch resonates with me, but it takes a hell of a shift to actually make it work as many managers have found who have attempted it in Europe.

Tonight was a huge step!

Edit: Just to clarify when I make the Red Bull comparison, I'm not saying EM is trying to adopt the Red Bull style, I mention it in the context that RB teams typically rip of the traditional tactical approach and that's what Enzo is trying to achieve here.

Edited by cityfanlee23
  • Thanks 1

Aside from the mistake, really liked the Doyle, Vestergaard and Justin defence. JJ was awesome and felt much happier with him in there than Faes to be honest. Great win and when we click going forward we look incredibly dangerous

3 hours ago, An Away Move said:

Not if there is a team ‘philosophy’, which is a word Maresca likes to use. I’d wager the odds on scoring the goal were better with the pass. 

But it went in so it's a mute point. Philosophy or not 99% of the players in the world take the shot on the second one. Even a prime barca team are taking the shot. 

The first one can be talked about though. Not only because he missed, but because the keeper had closed him down so much chances are he doesn't score.