Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
OntarioFox

Southampton Post Match (1-4) W

Lovely to see Vardy playing like he did. Lets hope there are a few more performances like this from the old dog. Nacho looked awful when he replaced. Terrible first chance and bad shot. He's quickly going to become 3rd choice if he's not careful. 

Not sure where Southampton dragged Martin from. One of the most arrogant post match interviews i've seen since 'le miget' started mouthing off at the start of last season.

Brilliant from Mavadidi. Want my wingers to take keepers on. That 4th goal was brilliant.

Edited by Chelmofox
  • Like 2

So many positives. Would find it hard to listen to anyone pushing anything otherwise, the goal we conceded was not great yet the mistake came from a 19 year old on loan from the premier league champions, the lad is clearly gonna be a top class defender. Won’t go overboard on vestegaard, but has been fine all season and had a very good game tonight, was everything you’d want from an international cb.

Stephy was great and it’s refreshing to see a city winger keen to take the full back on again! 

loved the subs, and anyone criticising any of their performances can get in the bin because all contributed which isn’t always easy with limited time to get into the game. fatawu is so exciting and is gonna make a team/defender look very silly at some point, love the confidence and enthusiasm.

Enzo is building something and already can’t wait for the Norwich game. 

Edited by matty2702
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Watched the game at the pub with my mate who's a Southampton fan. He said we didn't play well and all our goals came from their mistakes. I agree that we did capitalise on their mistakes but I thought we were great and probably should have scored more. They were terrible at the back, not helped by their wafer thin midfield but i thought we set traps for them perfectly and forced their mistakes with our mixture of pressing and dropping off. When we pressed we caused their keeper and defence all sorts of trouble and when we dropped the press and allowed them out a bit we won the ball further back and broke on them. I didn't think we had played well at all this season, despite our good results (up until Hull) but I thought we were brilliant tonight. 

You're right, your mates listened to Russell Martin too much 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Lovely to see Vardy playing like he did. Lets hope there are a few more performances like this from the old dog. Nacho looked awful when he replaced. Terrible first chance and bad shot. He's quickly going to become 3rd choice if he's not careful. 

Not sure where Southampton dragged Martin from. One of the most arrogant post match interviews i've seen since 'le miget' started mouthing off at the start of last season.

Brilliant from Mavadidi. Want my wingers to take keepers on. That 4th goal was brilliant.

Said to my dad that it's the best I've seen him look in ages, well over a year. I don't think it's any coincidence that it was against the 2nd worst defence I have ever seen us play against though (the worst being Southampton 2019 :D) 

Can you imagine what prime Vardy would have done to that defence tonight? It would have been a massacre.

• Like 1

To think Southampton have had Nathan Jones make such a twat of himself with his arrogant interviews and then get Martin the season after. 

Martin absolutely epitomises what Rodgers was for us last season. Clueless, arrogant, unwilling to see his errors, and just an all round willy puller.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jayfox26 said:

He literally kept quoting stats saying we've had more possession etc. I'm like mate possession means jack shit when you're 4-1 down🤣

Exactly... what's the point in having the ball and doing nothing with it. He's lucky he didn't witness another Friday night 9 to be fair.

Mavididi should've had one in the first half, should've passed in the second, Nacho should've scored and there was a couple of other chances.

We battered them without really doing too much. Can't wait for when we actually properly click

• Like 1

Just now, Gamble92 said:

To think Southampton have had Nathan Jones make such a twat of himself with his arrogant interviews and then get Martin the season after. 

Martin absolutely epitomises what Rodgers was for us last season. Clueless, arrogant, unwilling to see his errors, and just an all round willy puller.

Best thing they can do is just bin him off.. we've witnessed what happens when you don't make a decision early enough. Not just the fact you lose ground but it really drags the players in to a pit.

• Like 1

Just now, Simonb said:

Exactly... what's the point in having the ball and doing nothing with it. He's lucky he didn't witness another Friday night 9 to be fair.

Mavididi should've had one in the first half, should've passed in the second, Nacho should've scored and there was a couple of other chances.

We battered them without really doing too much. Can't wait for when we actually properly click

Spot on. The main difference tonight vs the previous games is that every team we've played has parked the bus and we've struggled to break them down. Southampton and Russel Martin thought they could " play their game" against us and we destroyed them. If every team tried to attack us like Southampton, we'd win comfortably every week

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jayfox26 said:

Spot on. The main difference tonight vs the previous games is that every team we've played has parked the bus and we've struggled to break them down. Southampton and Russel Martin thought they could " play their game" against us and we destroyed them. If every team tried to attack us like Southampton, we'd win comfortably every week

Well we won everyone bar Hull, so struggling is ott… you can’t win them all that is for sure. Coventry especially didn’t just sit back either, we clearly shown we have improved from that game massively tonight 

Just now, jayfox26 said:

Give it a few weeks and I genuinely feel park the bus tactics won't bother us either. You can see the passing is getting crisper and faster and we'll carve out chances regardless.

Still work to do and plenty of dips through the season bit I think we'll be fine

Coady and faes didn't even play today and bar an error from a young lad we were pretty solid.. keeper looks class.. jj was solid 

Winks is class in midfield.. plenty of competition on the wings and midfield. Its exciting times.

1 minute ago, Dusty said:

Checked the Southampton forum to see what they were saying about Martin as I read there was a Martin out thread. I’ve not seen a single positive thing said about him yet, they all say he’s as bad as Nathan Jones 😂

In fairness to Jones, they were a poor team in the hardest league in the world.

Russell has one of the best teams in a lower division (still tough but not as good) he really has no excuse 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

One thing he did say though was that Maresca has come from the top with Pep and Martin has come from the bottom. I guess that difference showed tonight 

You can see Marescas learnt from the best. Seems very calm and honest, which can surely only help the players

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Simonb said:

You can see Marescas learnt from the best. Seems very calm and honest, which can surely only help the players

Yeah the whole way he presents himself; the two keeper on bench thing, his attitude and passion is totally awesome. The guy is class, and the team has now got out of first gear