Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
OntarioFox

Southampton Post Match (1-4) W

Difficult game to analyse tactically cus I can't imagine we'll come across too many teams who play like that this year. But even though we're far from the finished article, it's clear maresca has done a much better job than martin after taking over clubs in a similar poistion. I thought you could definitely tell those players who weren't away on internationals had benefitted from the last 2 weeks. The work rate of mavididi and mcateer was particularly impressive, and vardy looked like he could potentially be a better link up player than kel. Great to see JJ back as well and would be thinking he keeps his place over Doyle when Coady comes back in

35 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Thoughts on Martin from the saints web forum...you're welcome

We were warned. 
it’s like Jones all over again. 

Martin happy with our performance in his post match with Sky. Mad nate 2.0

Needs to go now. Clueless chancer.

Absolute madman and chancer.

utterly delusional.

absolutely no awareness at all. (very very concerning)

He's deluded.

that interview really concerns me

Terrible appointment. 

that’s almost like FT after a Rodgers interview…

• Like 1

Just now, foxes_rule1978 said:

Yeah the whole way he presents himself; the two keeper on bench thing, his attitude and passion is totally awesome. The guy is class, and the team has now got out of first gear 

Its great

We've played 6 games, won 5.. only conceding 5, at least 2 from errors and one a deflection we could do nothing about, all with a makeshift defence waiting on coady to lead them, and no faes today. Once that's tightened up we're going to be dangerous aren't we

The squad all seem to be somewhat happy and know their roles (bar daka maybe but that's am awkward situation). Good to finally have a manager and squad that seem to be on the same page

• Like 1

The caveat to all this optimism is that it's very early days. It's far too early to anoint Enzo as the next Messiah just as it is to proclaim Martin as the devil incarnate. 

We've seen encouraging signs, but still evidence the team needs to gel. I'm optimistic, but the Championship is a long, hard, slog. 

However, 3 points away is a great result at any time and at the start of a couple of games where we might have reasonably expected nothing. Even a point from the next one now and we've got a very good return from two teams very likely to be direct rivals for a promotion spot. 

Very happy tonight, but I always wait for 10 games before I set the first benchmark of our progress 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Simonb said:

Its great

We've played 6 games, won 5.. only conceding 5, at least 2 from errors and one a deflection we could do nothing about, all with a makeshift defence waiting on coady to lead them, and no faes today. Once that's tightened up we're going to be dangerous aren't we

The squad all seem to be somewhat happy and know their roles (bar daka maybe but that's am awkward situation). Good to finally have a manager and squad that seem to be on the same page

Well he talked well about Daka; it is clear he was one of those that weren’t willing to play, I expect now that might change and he could come into the fold. The way he handled those type of players has been top class 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Well we won everyone bar Hull, so struggling is ott… you can’t win them all that is for sure. Coventry especially didn’t just sit back either, we clearly shown we have improved from that game massively tonight 

I don't think "struggled" is ott. Yes we won our first 4 which was great, but we weren't convincing in any game and haven't created many chances until tonight. I think we had more good chances tonight than we did in all our other games combined. We always knew it would take time for Enzos tactics to work 100%. 

• Like 1

I think we could win this league without me ever coming out of a game thinking we've played anywhere near our best. 

Ruthless win. Without being great by any means. 

Anyone got a problem with Vestergaard after tonight will never give him a positive comment, I thought he played well tonight. 

Nature of the championship, every single player did good and bad things. Never going to be a perfect performance. 

• Like 3

Anyone else actually astounded with martins comments post match.

Honestly thought we out classed them all game, they look worse than they did last season.

Shout out to Mavididi tonight, play like that & his confidence will grow & grow.

Lovely win down there!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I think we could win this league without me ever coming out of a game thinking we've played anywhere near our best. 

Ruthless win. Without being great by any means. 

Anyone got a problem with Vestergaard after tonight will never give him a positive comment, I thought he played well tonight. 

Nature of the championship, every single player did good and bad things. Never going to be a perfect performance. 

I have been one of those that felt vesty wasn’t a footballer… I would say in general this season anyway I have felt he has been steady but still acceptable to moments of insanity. Tonight he bossed it though 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Simonb said:

Exactly... what's the point in having the ball and doing nothing with it. He's lucky he didn't witness another Friday night 9 to be fair.

Mavididi should've had one in the first half, should've passed in the second, Nacho should've scored and there was a couple of other chances.

We battered them without really doing too much. Can't wait for when we actually properly click

Spot on again. Coady Will be huge for us when he's fit and our depth in every position is starting to show now despite many of us having concerns about our depth. It helps that Mcateer has been brilliant as well. Always great to see players from our academy flourish in the first team. Mcateer, KDH and Choudhury are all academy lads and will all play a big part this season, then add in Wanya plus Alves and Braybrooke coming back from injury and we are looking strong. A 25 man squad becomes a lot bigger and more competitive when you have home grown under 21s included 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Well he talked well about Daka; it is clear he was one of those that weren’t willing to play, I expect now that might change and he could come into the fold. The way he handled those type of players has been top class 

Exactly. I'd imagine he left him out as his head weren't in the right place, but he's probably spoke to him now he hadn't gone and is confident that he's happy to contribute and reintegrated him

I'm not a daka fan and I can't see many games after tonight where there will be space in behind to use his pace, but he may prove useful.. vardy  Nacho  and daka in the championship is outrageous to be honest 

Certainly put our stamp on it tonight showing our quality really thought we played well tonight on and off the ball Vardy goal on 21 seconds ( that’s got to be his fastest ever goal surely?) McAteer played well took his goal calmly and with sublime calmness Ndidi yet again proved he can bang them in and what can you say about Mavadidi I don’t think anyone will top that for goal of the season this year a 75-80 yard run took the pee out of the Saints player knocking it round him to run to one on one with the keeper and knock a beautifully amazing goal into the back of the net 1-4 !!

another refreshing thing with this game and Enzo, the triple subs we brought on, 2 of them where attacking minded players(course Hamza replacing Winks)

something under rodgers we certainly wouldnt have had, with Akgun playing a more central role, maybe a hint at something in the future with Fatawu on left. Mav right and Akgun central, least its another option there

1 minute ago, jayfox26 said:

Spot on again. Coady Will be huge for us when he's fit and our depth in every position is starting to show now despite many of us having concerns about our depth. It helps that Mcateer has been brilliant as well. Always great to see players from our academy flourish in the first team. Mcateer, KDH and Choudhury are all academy lads and will all play a big part this season, then add in Wanya plus Alves and Braybrooke coming back from injury and we are looking strong. A 25 man squad becomes a lot bigger and more competitive when you have home grown under 21s included 

Yea exactly that. Hopefully a couple months in the u23 and those 2 lads will be ready, maybe for the fa cup in January. Not needed at the moment so I wouldn't risk them.

Only worry with mcateer is how he will cope when he inevitably finds himself as a sub. I like the lad but yunus and Abdul will get ahead of him soon.. he's intelligent and makes the right runs, hopefully he just keeps taking his chances when they come.

Can't wait to see mav on the left and Abdul on the right ripping defences apart. How long have we waited to have 2 wingers that take players on. 

What a squad... not whacking a tenner on winning the prem in 2 years though 🤣

3 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

another refreshing thing with this game and Enzo, the triple subs we brought on, 2 of them where attacking minded players(course Hamza replacing Winks)

something under rodgers we certainly wouldnt have had, with Akgun playing a more central role, maybe a hint at something in the future with Fatawu on left. Mav right and Akgun central, least its another option there

Rodgers would've took vardy off for faes on 2 minutes to hold on for the win

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, lnkstern said:

For such an (superficially) impressive final score...

We were so wildly inconsistent, especially in the first half.  For short periods (5 - 10 minutes) we looked like world-beaters, next period we were shambles in our own half.

We started slowly second half, and I was a bit worried.  Finally seemed to grab the game by the scruff and scored the final two goals.

The subs seemed spot-on.  Southampton also wilted as the second half wound down.

Re: Vestergaard -- WOW.  I have called him Lurch for two years; I may have to retire the nickname.  Excellent game, bar one mistake leading up to the sole Southampton goal.

Vardy back in the goals.

Lots of very promising young players, who will be occasionally inconsistent but show bags of potential.

Re-reading this, I think I was overly critical of our performance.

We played well for much of the game.  The goals were well-worked and well-taken.  Many Leicester players earned top grades.

Southampton helped by being so open and losing some turnovers in dangerous locations, but we had to turn those into chances, which we often did.

The Enzo style is quite appealing to me, and I think he is successfully teaching the team (especially the youngsters) how to implement it.

I am happy that I was able to thoroughly enjoy the win, and I am enjoying that I can look forward to upcoming matches with optimism!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Winning the league was the pinnacle, but winning the fa Cup as a championship side wouldn't be too far behind 🤣

I might be going overboard but I honestly think we can have some good runs in the cups still. The way we play, especially against sides that feel they are better and can attack we can pick them apart 

2 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

I might be going overboard but I honestly think we can have some good runs in the cups still. The way we play, especially against sides that feel they are better and can attack we can pick them apart 

I hope you're right but I don't fancy our chances at Anfield

• Haha 2