Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
OntarioFox

Southampton Post Match (1-4) W

Really enjoyed that, best performance for a while. I didn’t and haven’t looked at the actual match thread but not getting that apparently a number of people think we were poor? Evidence perhaps that an element of our fan based do in fact base their opinion purely off possession stats and as we were out possessed, we were poor?

It answered a few questions for me. I was pleased to see Enzo adapt to being the team who would let the opposition have a bit more of the ball. Let’s be right, in the Premier League this will likely be the case if we get there with Enzo. When we had the ball, we still played good football, played out from the back and attacked quickly. Also the start to the game, 30 seconds in and 2 up before long showed an intent we hadn’t for a while.

Mostly good performances all round also and a a dominant win away at a team I still expect will be up there even if they have to dispose of their Brendan wannabe fraud manager first.

3 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

Really enjoyed that, best performance for a while. I didn’t and haven’t looked at the actual match thread but not getting that apparently a number of people think we were poor? Evidence perhaps that an element of our fan based do in fact base their opinion purely off possession stats and as we were out possessed, we were poor?

I think the main frustration was how regularly we were giving the ball away, definitely caused a few heart-in-mouth moments. Most rational fans (which seems like an oxymoron, we're on FoxesTalk :ph34r:) accept that it's not always going to click, especially at this level, but we've just given someone a pasting at last, and it's fair to say that was still only a 3rd gear performance at a push.

The difference is that we could finish last night. Take away their goal and Che Adams testing Mads early on, and their play in the final 3rd was comical.

Don't get carried away, but it's looking good.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Saints fan - lol

IMG_0549.thumb.jpeg.618c51602a393c8c57c0bb18396d05a4.jpeg

The Martin Out on Saints forum sent shivers down my spine as I remembered the utter frustration of Brandon's last two years with us. They realise that their manager is stubbornly nieve, in Martins case, making the schoolboy error of copying another's work.

Pep has spent a lifetimbe working on a style of play that is way more than just a system that can be replicated. It's charismatic leadership of excellent players and total dedication to his vision that few others can match. 

I'm so happy with our gaffa and to be where we are now full stop. No be careful your not Pep, because at last we have our own charismatic man in charge. And he will change, adapt and overcome.

That was a cracking result and very good controlled performance away to one of the supposed favourites, make no mistake Enzo has had some impact in a very short space of time, he has taken a club on its arse, with a honking mentality and has turned it on its head and you can see there is so much more to come. Last season I felt I had lost my connection.with the club and the squad, however this squad has rediscovered my enthusiasm for the club. 

Every player has and is continuing to improve, but what I really loved about last night was the energy and tempo that looked at another level, just shows the impact Enzo and his coaching staff have when they have extended time to coach. Also he has managed to unearth a real player in Kasey McAteer, there is no way anyone expected him to be starting and effecting games in the way he has, it’s fantastic to have an academy prospect starting and contributing to our success. 

There is a long long way to go but so far so good and last nights result and performance is a great way to bounce back from the disappointment of the Hull defeat. 

Enzo is having a similar impact to Nigel and I hope he can continue and replicate the job Pearson did in rebuilding the club and laying foundations for a decade of unprecedented success. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

I don't think "struggled" is ott. Yes we won our first 4 which was great, but we weren't convincing in any game and haven't created many chances until tonight. I think we had more good chances tonight than we did in all our other games combined. We always knew it would take time for Enzos tactics to work 100%. 

It also helps that Southampton tried to play against us. Other teams have pretty much sat back and defended. That will happen all season. Very few teams will try to have a go. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

I think the main frustration was how regularly we were giving the ball away, definitely caused a few heart-in-mouth moments. Most rational fans (which seems like an oxymoron, we're on FoxesTalk :ph34r:) accept that it's not always going to click, especially at this level, but we've just given someone a pasting at last, and it's fair to say that was still only a 3rd gear performance at a push.

The difference is that we could finish last night. Take away their goal and Che Adams testing Mads early on, and their play in the final 3rd was comical.

Don't get carried away, but it's looking good.

Exactly. I’m just now sure how people can be moaning. If it’s the same people who were lauding our performance at home to Hull with 21 shots and 1 on target slating that, it would blow my mind!

And yeah, whatever mistakes we made paled into insignificance compared to theirs. They had 8 shots on target, the goal itself and I reckon one or two where Hermansen parried and the rest were poor shots from distance which fell straight into Hermansen’s hands. The main one was that Armstrong change that he smashed over, I expected to be punished there.

Southampton were poor but I don’t subscribe to they were poor and that’s why we won. We played well and forced errors and it showed a different way of playing. Obviously we won’t be able to play like that at home to a Cardiff or Hull who will sit behind the ball but it showed awareness from Enzo to adapt to the opponents despite many saying we only need one way of playing.

Missed the post match interviews! And with all the talk on how deluded Martin was in his.... I'm now intrigued to see it!

Anywhere to watch these yet? Or will it be waiting for highlights on ITV later today?

Edited by jimmer

Lots of positives to take both individual performances and as a collective.

For me, the passage of play that pleased me the most was the last one of the match. You could hear Enzo screaming “attack, attack” to Fatuwa from the touchline, Hamza busting a gut to win a tackle after possession lost and then JJ winning a 50/50 that resulted in a red card for the opposition. All at 4-1 up in the 96th minute. That shows to me a huge shift in mentality. Well done Enzo and the staff 👏

• Like 1

Lovely to sit back and watch the highlights last night. Pre match thoughts were either we’d get exposed or we’d show what we can do against a side that will open up and approach the match trying to get more than a point. Looks like the work Enzo has put in is paying off. If we can get a win Wednesday night at Carrow Road, could be ominous signs for the rest of the division 

1 hour ago, LCFCJohn said:

whatever mistakes we made paled into insignificance compared to theirs. They had 8 shots on target, the goal itself and I reckon one or two where Hermansen parried and the rest were poor shots from distance which fell straight into Hermansen’s hands. The main one was that Armstrong change that he smashed over, I expected to be punished there.

The two mistakes, one for the goal and Winks being dispossessed in our own box plus the Armstrong chance could have resulted in 3 goals, realistically we are not going to keep getting away with it, although saying all that it was a good team performance in general, the chances made was exceptional, if we are going to be really picky about the performance then it should be the fact we didn’t win by double the amount we actually did 

I missed the game but looking at the forum match ratings its the first green gong since Tottenham last year as far as I can recall, that was almost a full year of abject yellow. It's good to see fans enjoying the football again after such a barren period during the decline and fall of Rodgers. It's telling to see how many Rodgers rejects from Cags, to Perez even through to Lurch that have come good since. 

Has anyone found highlights that show more of the build up before the ndidi goal?

Sure we had the ball for a few minutes, moving the Saints players around exactly where we wanted them. One of the best team goals I’ve ever seen us score 

This post on the Southampton forum made me chuckle 

7 hours ago,  Saint_clark said: 

Adkins was probably the happiest Saints fans have been since Strachan, maybe even Lawrie. All he asked for was hard work, solid defending and getting the ball forward quickly using wingers and potent finishers.

Absolutely. It's that ****ing simple. 

RM is a pretentious toss pot. Like those ****ing chefs trying to cook a streak with strawberries and serving it on a house brick. ****ing shit, not clever, not tasty, just ****ing grill the thing, season it and be done with it. 

Results are what matters, not a pat on the head for being super duper clever.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dr.o.ball said:

The Martin Out on Saints forum sent shivers down my spine as I remembered the utter frustration of Brandon's last two years with us. They realise that their manager is stubbornly nieve, in Martins case, making the schoolboy error of copying another's work.

Pep has spent a lifetimbe working on a style of play that is way more than just a system that can be replicated. It's charismatic leadership of excellent players and total dedication to his vision that few others can match. 

I'm so happy with our gaffa and to be where we are now full stop. No be careful your not Pep, because at last we have our own charismatic man in charge. And he will change, adapt and overcome.

I was quite nervous pre match, till I saw who their manager was. He always comes across as clueless, a bit like me,as I thought we needed to sub N'didi at half time.

11 hours ago, moore_94 said:

I think it is rather early to call them questionable loans when Yunus has only been here for 2 league games and Casadei for 4

Neither have started a league game yet

Also despite his recent wobbles in games, Doyle has still also managed to have good games so far this season, as well improving and contributing in games where he was initially poor

At least give the guys a chance, come on

Yunus started against Hull?

Totally agree with you by the way…

3 minutes ago, owen said:

Has anyone found highlights that show more of the build up before the ndidi goal?

Sure we had the ball for a few minutes, moving the Saints players around exactly where we wanted them. One of the best team goals I’ve ever seen us score 

Has bout 30s of the build-up

• Thanks 2