Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
adejo92

LCFC v Norwich (A) - 20/09/23 @ 8:00PM - PRE MATCH THREAD

I'd consider resting Doyle with Justin on the left.

I don't think i'd go through with it but I think that's the position i'd look at the most.

Probably end up with;

Hermansen

Faes Vestergaard Doyle

Ricardo Winks

McAteer Ndidi KDH Mavididi

Vardy

4 hours ago, AKCJ said:

I'd consider resting Doyle with Justin on the left.

I don't think i'd go through with it but I think that's the position i'd look at the most.

Probably end up with;

Hermansen

Faes Vestergaard Doyle

Ricardo Winks

McAteer Ndidi KDH Mavididi

Vardy

We have played a couple of games.so why not try rotation in other positions than strikers…Enzo mentioned he could envisage some players ( Mcateer) moving occasionally more centrally..so why not this game…

Hermansen

Faes Vestergaard Justin

Ricardo Wink

Akgun/Fatawu McAteer KDH Mavididi

Vardy

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-future-no-secret-8761899

Leicester City future is 'no secret' for Norwich City boss David Wagner
The Canaries manager has been discussing Leicester City ahead of Wednesday night's Championship fixture at Carrow Road, which sees second in the table take on fourth

ByJordan Blackwell
18:24, 18 SEP 2023

Norwich City boss David Wagner is adamant Leicester City will be promoted back to the Premier League this season.

Wagner, whose side host City on Wednesday night, said he is preparing for the toughest test the Canaries have had this term. City could well say the same, taking on a Norwich outfit who sit just two places behind them in the table and who have scored the most goals in the division.

Five wins from six Championship matches under Enzo Maresca means pre-season title favourites City are second under Maresca ahead of the trip to Carrow Road. Wagner is confident they will finish in the top two.

sure you can bet on them to get promoted.

“This is the biggest test we have faced this season, at home or away. We are looking forward to it and are excited. Our aim is to make their evening the most uncomfortable they’ve faced all season.

“It is a test against an opponent who are top all over the park. We face them quite early, but we are looking forward to this challenge. We will need everyone, and when I say everyone I mean everyone, in the stadium. If we have that, we will be okay.”

Like City, Norwich’s unbeaten start to the campaign ended in the final game before the international break as they lost 2-1 at Rotherham. However, also like City, they returned to winning ways over the weekend, beating Stoke 1-0.

Attacking midfielder Gabriel Sara will be one to watch. While Maresca won manager of the month for August, the Brazilian won player of the month. He has created the most chances in the division as things stand.

• Thanks 1

Probably same team.

But I'd be quick on the subs (Kel and probably AFI?) maybe as early as half time if they're just parking the bus and we're struggling to break them down. 

The hope is that they press us fairly high up the pitch and we can beat that and counter but if they've got the sense to block low and break from deeper it could be a long evening. 

13 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I've not actually watched Norwich this season but they don't strike me as a team who will sit back, I think they will have a go at us. 

They've either scored 3/4 or 1/2 goals in their games this season, their game against Southampton, the 4-4 is probably the best comparrison as to how they will play against us.... or they've learned their lesson a bit and might not be quite so open lol 

8 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Probably same team.

But I'd be quick on the subs (Kel and probably AFI?) maybe as early as half time if they're just parking the bus and we're struggling to break them down. 

The hope is that they press us fairly high up the pitch and we can beat that and counter but if they've got the sense to block low and break from deeper it could be a long evening. 

Wagner is a smart manager. They won't play the way Southampton did against us as it would be suicide. Tomorrow will be much more cagey.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Wagner is a smart manager. They won't play the way Southampton did against us as it would be suicide. Tomorrow will be much more cagey.

I'm not suggesting for one second they'll play like Southampton. It's not even about Wagner's intelligence it just isn't their style of play. 

But there's multiple ways to set up to be conservative and counter. If they back themselves to do it well, probably the smart thing to do against us is press from the front with a higher line, really put us under pressure and force us to make mistakes the same way we did against Southampton. 

This obviously carries some risk but comes with reasonable reward. If they turn the ball over in our half they've a good chance of scoring but if the likes of Winks can beat their press high up the pitch then we can counter ourselves. 

This is how they ended up drawing 4-4 with Soton. 

The other approach is obviously to sit in a much lower block and only engage in their own half, it forces us to play but it also invites us on to get much closer to their goal. The risk is probably lower given the quality of our creative players vs. what we can do on the break but it obviously presents them less opportunity to score themselves with a counter. 

Wagner typically prefers option A. He's not really a Sean Dyche to be fair and we definitely do still have a mistake in us, as good as Vestergaard, Winks and Hermansen were against Soton. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Difficult to leave players out?

“They train every day because they want to play. Not to sit on the bench. I know that because I played for 20 years. Sometimes you have to take a decision. Sometimes my decision is not the right one. But they have to accept and be ready in the right way.”

...right there, a get-out-of-jail-free card...fantastic bit of communication!!!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

“We need to manage this situation and share minutes. This was why we made changes the other day. We’ll see tomorrow if we make more changes.”

16 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

"The only thing I can say is that Stephy, Yunus, and Fatawu, they didn’t arrive here 100 per cent fit. They came from a different country with a different tempo. Stephy said it was different. Abdul played 90 minutes last in June. He is dangerous in one on ones, but he needs step by step to get better. Hopefully soon they will all be 100 per cent and we can decide.”

These are interesting quotes when trying to work out what we're going to do tomorrow. 

I think Norwich are so strong that we'll need to play the best team possible, I'm not convinced we'll rotate much. Maybe Iheanacho comes in for Vardy from the start? But Vards had his best game in ages, it'd be a shame to drop him now. 

Obvious place to rotate is out wide but that quote says to me that Yunus and Abdul probably aren't considered fit to start and that's probably a big part of why McAteer is first choice. 

Curious. Have a hard time settling on what I think the team will be. Nice to have options, though. Think Winks is the only one that strikes me as truly undroppable. 

• Like 2

I know it's only small but I'm a big fan of the way he talks about other clubs...

Norwich?

“They are a very good team. They have different ways to play. They are in one shape on the ball, a different shape off it. They are unbelievable. We’re going to try to be ourselves on and off the ball and try to get some points there.”

You can tell he's A) Genuinely respectful of them B) Intrigued by the way they play & C) Wants to pick it apart and beat them

I think at least in the last season with Brendan he lost that level of respect for the opposition & thought we were good enough in general to compete with most of the league, which we weren't & it's nice to have that back. 

This has been one of my favourite starts to a season in a while, genuine enjoyment with a manager that wants us to be better, fitter, stronger & more intelligent than everyone we face, go on the boys!

• Like 4

Just now, CrazyKopCorner said:

Yes he's a bit rude though not correctly identifying their supporters as the best fans in the world (as per Delia Smith) and that they are not beautiful people - What's wrong with the man 

Guess he won`t get an invite back stage for some top scran then!

• Like 1

On 17/09/2023 at 14:34, Claridge said:

Daka is awful, hope I don’t see him all season

Trust me, I am not a fan either.. however there is bound to be a time when both kelechi and vardy are out together and Cannon probably won't be ready to play all the games he's out.

Even if its just bringing him on for 20 mins to run down a weary defence.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

These are interesting quotes when trying to work out what we're going to do tomorrow. 

I think Norwich are so strong that we'll need to play the best team possible, I'm not convinced we'll rotate much. Maybe Iheanacho comes in for Vardy from the start? But Vards had his best game in ages, it'd be a shame to drop him now. 

Obvious place to rotate is out wide but that quote says to me that Yunus and Abdul probably aren't considered fit to start and that's probably a big part of why McAteer is first choice. 

Curious. Have a hard time settling on what I think the team will be. Nice to have options, though. Think Winks is the only one that strikes me as truly undroppable. 

I've always thought he would rotate some of the players at least. I don't see Vardy playing every 2 games so quickly, though because we played on Friday the extra day means he could. I doubt it personally though.

I put some of this in the Tactics thread, but some changes I can see based on tactics, not just fitness:
- Norwich CBs are a bit slow. I think more of the false 9 approach would work against them to draw them out. So Iheanacho starting here could make sense so the 8's can run past him. Vardy is a better presser which Maresca wanted against the suicidal playing out from Southampton.

- Ashley Barnes is pivotal for them. He's a bruiser type and Faes seems to play better against those types than fast ones. So he might come in for JJ, or Doyle with JJ taking Doyle's place.

- Ndidi starts again for me because they use Sara as a single pivot when they are in settled in possession, so having Wilf on him could start a lot of attacks for us.

But more than anything, I think he will pick based on condition. If one player is at 95% condition and another one at 100%, I think he picks the 100% player. So maybe wingers or the CAMs get change. No one played badly in the last match so it's tough on anyone removed!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Need to bring in Faes for Doyle imo.. more experience and solidity required here. They score goals and Doyles a little shaky ATM

I'd keep the midfield the same and then decide between vardy and kelechi up top.

Not a team we want to mess about with.

If I'm reading in between the lines correctly, I agree with you, it sounds like he's hinting that Abdul is probably a few weeks off being ready for a start maybe? And that Stephy is fit now.. probably the same for Yunus. I'd keep with Stephy and Kacey for this one.

For me, tinkering should be done against Bristol. Don't get me wrong, Bristol won't be easy either, even though ironically I fancy a big win in that one depending on who plays, but Norwich away is a massive game, keep it simple.

• Like 1