Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Norwich 0-2 LCFC - Post Match Thread

Really impressed with the defending last night.  All the defenders showed commitment we could only dream of last season to win the first and second ball, and to try to stop the crosses even coming in.  Still have the Rogers fear of corners, but we're looking so much better. 

I can't see Mads staying with us very long he's absolutely class and everything you want in a modern goalkeeper playing out from the back.  Shot stopper, claims the ball from crosses and has great distribution - he has everything. 

• Like 3

I always think those type of offside calls (for Kasey’s goal) are a bit silly. Whether or not the ball was played slightly forward and whether he was ever so slightly ahead of KDH, he had an open goal to roll the ball into. It would have made no difference to the level of the opportunity for him. But it all looked level to the eye.

My lifelong best mate is a Norwich fan along with his whole family.

Good club, always played decent stuff and decent fan base. 

Always nice to get one over on them, though😁

Enzo ball not only makes me believe we've got a great chance of returning to the PL , but actually having the players and game plan to hold our own , when we get there🦊👍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nod.E said:

I think we only did that once though? Granted it was a big one, but once losing the ball in our own half from building from the back from countless attempts is very impressive.

It's worlds away from the dithering symptom of having no plan that was Amartey and Faes/Soy exchanging 5 yard passes over and over again.

We always have an extra man and we appear very comfortable playing this way. Not only does it wear down the opposition, as teams push for an equaliser it leaves spaces in behind their press. 

It always felt like that second goal was there for us tonight. 

Playing long might remove immediate danger, and there is a time for that, but playing the way we do is how you close out a match like tonight.

I've gone the the stats and we only lost possession around 10% of the time thru passing and around 5% by being dispossessed in the carry. Seemed far more watching in real time

2 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

Amazing on a footie forum that so many people clearly do not know the offside rule. If the ball is pulled BACK to a player it cannot be offside. There can be no interference in play. VAR would not have ruled it off because it wasn’t. 

For me, this move gave me my first real feeling that Enzo is getting our squad into an unbelievable frame of mind. It’s like prime Barcelona - at a lower level obviously - insomuch as KDH could have scored, but he made absolutely sure that we did score by passing to Kasey. 

There will be mistakes and errors playing like this, but it’s pretty awesome to watch at times. 

...pretty much the players gaining a better understanding of the game and seeing the bigger picture!!!

These players are going to be getting such a better understanding about the game, you would nit be surprised if a lot of these players eventually end up going into management. 

3 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

Amazing on a footie forum that so many people clearly do not know the offside rule. If the ball is pulled BACK to a player it cannot be offside. There can be no interference in play. VAR would not have ruled it off because it wasn’t. 

No, people know the rules. First and foremost, the ball went forwards, not backwards.

Point of pass:

Screenshot2023-09-21at12_50_42.thumb.png.9c29fbd97b13e192f6462ed2eba58928.png

Point of ball received:

Screenshot2023-09-21at12_50_52.thumb.png.fe40d47242493f259913c6f08c4947ab.png

The question is whether he was ahead of the ball when it was passed, and that is very very close when you take perspective into account.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, James_lcfc said:

VAR would definitely have been drawing lines - It was tight.

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The question is whether he was ahead of the ball when it was passed, and that is very very close when you take perspective into account.

And the answer is that he was ONSIDE... and it was a great call from the lineman. 

Where the blue lines meet is the position of his head relative to the ground. Red line the ball. 

on.png

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Without a wider angle it's impossible to draw lines, but looks level at worst here? 

McAteer Goal.jpg

If you take in the angle of lines of the 6 yard box and the 12 yard change in colour on the grass, looks like his head if offside as he leans forward to me. I think it’s more likely than not that VAR would’ve found him offside.

Of course this kind of margin that doesn’t affect play is not what the offside rule was invented for and I’m glad we don’t have VAR spending 5 minutes analysing these close calls anymore 

3 hours ago, Benji said:

Really impressed with the defending last night.  All the defenders showed commitment we could only dream of last season to win the first and second ball, and to try to stop the crosses even coming in.  Still have the Rogers fear of corners, but we're looking so much better. 

I can't see Mads staying with us very long he's absolutely class and everything you want in a modern goalkeeper playing out from the back.  Shot stopper, claims the ball from crosses and has great distribution - he has everything. 

He looked a little dodgy first game on corners and he didn’t come to punch or catch one last night. would be interesting to see us play a team again with great delivery (as hamer for cov) 

1 hour ago, joeybside said:

I've gone the the stats and we only lost possession around 10% of the time thru passing and around 5% by being dispossessed in the carry. Seemed far more watching in real time

The passing stats are presumably as a percentage of total passes.  So many of our passes are sideways safe as we move the opponent around.  I suppose the stat to look for would be losing possession on forward passes/ passes in the final third. 

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

He looked a little dodgy first game on corners and he didn’t come to punch or catch one last night. would be interesting to see us play a team again with great delivery (as hamer for cov) 

I think I saw a stat last night that Norwich were first in terms of headed goals this season. Seems like we've come a long way since that Cov game as we defended like Trojans aerially last night.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Babylon said:

And the answer is that he was ONSIDE... and it was a great call from the lineman. 

Where the blue lines meet is the position of his head relative to the ground. Red line the ball. 

on.png

It's closer from the other angle, but at this resolution you only have to be out by a mm for it to swing. Reality is, there was nothing clear cut about the decision. It's very close. 

I watched the game last night and it seemed to be a poor affair with mediocre passing that resulted in a lot of handed over possession by both sides. Our defending must have improved over last season otherwise we would have conceded 5 goals from corners last night, or maybe the attacking prowess of opponents isn't as good as in the premiership. I like to think its down largely to having a better keeper but he did a couple of silly passes outs last night straight to a Norwich player. He could have been chipped when he passed from outside of the box straight to a yellow shirt. Our old guard didn't play particularly well last night, Vardy was largely uninvolved and Natcho had a poor heavy first touch all night. 

I'm liking Winks and Madidivi because they move the ball faster than most seem to manage. Casadei looked like he was wearing lead boots last night, at one point in the centre circle he was on his own looking at the ball at his feet yet unable to pick up his feet, almost fell over then surrendered the ball, very strange. Then at the end of it all, HairDo ends up topping the season player ratings. Its footballing life, just as we know it. A bit strange. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

For me, this move gave me my first real feeling that Enzo is getting our squad into an unbelievable frame of mind. It’s like prime Barcelona - at a lower level obviously - insomuch as KDH could have scored, but he made absolutely sure that we did score by passing to Kasey. 

There will be mistakes and errors playing like this, but it’s pretty awesome to watch at times. 

It's not pass direction that matters, it's player position relative to the ball. 

https://footballrules.com/offences-sanctions/offside/

A player is in an offside position when any part of their body* is:

in the other team’s half (the halfway line does not count) and

closer to the opponents’ goal line than both:

the second-last opponent, including the goalkeeper and

the ball

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sooper Steve's shin said:

We will find out pretty soon - he’s on four yellows for the season, which I think puts him one away from a one-match suspension. Vestergaard is the same, although we have more cover for him. 

I think he could play both Ricardo and Hamza when Winks is out, one of them playing the hybrid RB/CM role and other taking Winks’ place. We haven’t involved anyone else in those positions as far as I can recall (even as sub) and I don’t see him putting Ndidi there given his more limited passing range. 

Imagine we still have Maddison. Him playing the role now played by Winks would be amazing. But he will truly be too good for the Championship so I am glad to see him doing well with Tottenham although I wish we got more $ for him.