Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

The Enzo Thread

11 minutes ago, Matt said:

And this is a point I've been trying to make for years but end up waffling.

It's clear there is a remit to play a possession based game, that is what the powers that be want, that is the type of managers we've appointed since 2017. Puel, Rodgers, Maresca.

Yet many of our signings have been suited to pre 2017 and continued to be.

Now I don't like possession based football, playing out from that back, I make no bones about it, generally I think it's a load of nonsense, compounded by not signing players that don't really 'fit' within that style, it's destined to fail.

This is the same thing I ramble on about as well.  Even made a thread on it which seemed to offend most who replied.

Bizarre we have an owner that wants us to play like Barca but then most of our signings in those years as you said dont fit the play.

One of the probable reasons Vesty is under negotiation e.g. is he is one of the few current players who does fit the style.

Really Top should be staying out of the style of play, it feels like he is treating us as a football manager game, get a manager employed to suit the squad, and the remit to be to get the most efficiency out of the squad possible because we are flat broke.  The ideology has cost us heavily in the last few seasons, and almost stopped us getting promoted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scotch said:

This is a tough one. I like Maresca. He is clearly a good coach with lots of potential to grow and who looks to play an attractive brand of football and the players seem to be behind him 100%. I'm definitely not opposed to him staying. 

However...

I have serious doubts about how effective his system will be in the PL against teams much better than we are. There were times when it faltered this season against teams far below our ability. Then there is his apparent point blank refusal to divert from this tactic and style. I don't think you can be so inflexible at PL level. Not only are the players we will face much better but so are the managers and even if his plan A works, most of the managers we will face will adapt to counter it and we already know Enzo won't do anything to adress that. This is why I'm also not overly opposed to him going. 

Over all, I'm pretty impartial to it. The only thing that pushes me slightly towards him staying is the fear of who we will replace him with. 

If we got Moyes I would be pretty confident of staying up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scotch said:

This is a tough one. I like Maresca. He is clearly a good coach with lots of potential to grow and who looks to play an attractive brand of football and the players seem to be behind him 100%. I'm definitely not opposed to him staying. 

However...

I have serious doubts about how effective his system will be in the PL against teams much better than we are. There were times when it faltered this season against teams far below our ability. Then there is his apparent point blank refusal to divert from this tactic and style. I don't think you can be so inflexible at PL level. Not only are the players we will face much better but so are the managers and even if his plan A works, most of the managers we will face will adapt to counter it and we already know Enzo won't do anything to adress that. This is why I'm also not overly opposed to him going. 

Over all, I'm pretty impartial to it. The only thing that pushes me slightly towards him staying is the fear of who we will replace him with. 

My thoughts exactly 

2 hours ago, Fuchsocksblu said:

Tell me you don't understand PSR without telling me - BINGO! 
PSR equates to club turnover and PLAYER sales, not a manager sale
10 million from Chelsea really doesn't mean a damn thing. 

You’ve confidently told someone they don’t understand PSR, whilst simultaneously demonstrating that you don’t understand PSR. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

If we got Moyes I would be pretty confident of staying up.

That's the other thing too though, isn't it? I agree that someone like Moyes potentially has a better shot at keeping us up than Enzo but our ceiling is far higher with Enzo in charge than it is with Moyes. 

It's that balance between short term success as well as long term growth. Maresca could very well end up being that guy but I've still got those niggling doubts. 

2 minutes ago, Scotch said:

That's the other thing too though, isn't it? I agree that someone like Moyes potentially has a better shot at keeping us up than Enzo but our ceiling is far higher with Enzo in charge than it is with Moyes. 

It's that balance between short term success as well as long term growth. Maresca could very well end up being that guy but I've still got those niggling doubts. 

Have to get a stable foundation though, no point having a higher ceiling, if you go crashing through the floor.  I also dont think we can give Enzo what he wants.

The thing that worries me is how positive the players are about the manager, think about winks who said it’s exactly how he wants to play. It could one damage morale in the prem next season plus make some players become slightly worse. Keep him at all costs 

Just now, Trev3939 said:

The thing that worries me is how positive the players are about the manager, think about winks who said it’s exactly how he wants to play. It could one damage morale in the prem next season plus make some players become slightly worse. Keep him at all costs 

It’s football though, players will leave as soon as they get a better offer just like managers will. 

Just now, Chrysalis said:

Have to get a stable foundation though, no point having a higher ceiling, if you go crashing through the floor.  I also dont think we can give Enzo what he wants.

Isn’t that what we have now? One people want to discard based on fear of failure at a later point.

I don't particularly want him to leave, but I'm more annoyed at the uncertainty it's going to cause. It's one thing with the possible points deduction, but unsettling the squad and club before what's going to be a difficult season is frustrating! We need this to happen quickly if he's going. I just hope there's plenty of decent replacements that won't be put off by a possible point deduction and see it as more of a challenge.

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Enzo would be loving that

Perhaps why they're looking at younger, less established managers. Easier to manipulate and will feel grateful for the seemingly amazing opportunity 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

Perhaps why they're looking at younger, less established managers. Easier to manipulate and will feel grateful for the seemingly amazing opportunity 

John Terry ticks all sort of boxes

32 minutes ago, Scotch said:

However...

Great post 

"Keep at all costs" is a bit of a race to the bottom. That means you have no faith in yourselves beyond whoever you're talking about. That's doomed to fail.

• Like 1