Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

The Enzo Thread

how can people seriously not like him? I get the football may appear 'boring' but it works and it is making us currently the best team the championship has ever seen. Our fans need to stop complaining for once and support him. If he leaves out of frustration it will be the worst thing to happen to the club in a long time

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I know this is a Poe, but I actually think this isn't far away from what at least a fair few of the fanbase think when you get down to it.

4-4-2, direct, gerritFORWARD long ball is seen as "the English way", and so some people just want their team playing like that just because of that, even if it isn't as successful as other styles.

I must admit, I have my doubts.  We can afford to play like Man City in this division because we are the Man City of this division, just like Burnley were last year.  I think that the way that Burnley have been carved apart this year is a glimpse into our own future.  I think we will have to be a lot less open and a bit more ugly to survive.

57 minutes ago, HitchinFox said:

Would be such a Leicester thing to happen, for Enzo to fvck off due to our troglodyte fanbase, then become a top European manager elsewhere. 

Meanwhile, the GerRiD FoRwARd brigade get their wish with Sean Dyche. Mid-table Championship for next 10 years, but at least "we're energetic and full of effort". 

Idiots. 

Top European manager is pushing it. What have you seen to suggest that? Lets talk in a couple years after he's actually managed in the Premier League.

• Thanks 1

All about a bit of balance for me- I think he is getting a little prickly when there is no need really- you are always going to have some fans that do not want us to play quite as many passes as we do at the back in the way we do- I can understand that a little bit

Nobody can debate the numbers- they are nothing short of fantastic and he is doing a great job- there is no denying it

I do think its fair though that any and all managers and teams take a bit of criticism sometimes- there are things that are far from perfect with this team and I do not think its that big of deal if there is a bit of noise from the crowd who ultimately just want us to go after some of teams we are definitely better than

We definitely have an issue with doing more when we go 1-0 up- we haven't learned anything from shef wed, ipswich and ipswich games where we went 1-0 up and pretty much stopped playing- you could see that second ipswich game goal coming from half time and we all know it- there were shades of that last night but against weaker opposition and we did enough again to win- which we have done the majority of the time this season again against weaker opposition and Enzo and the team deserve credit for that

I personally think its a mixture of 2 things

1- we have been spoiled for years before last year with a very strong team that could more than hold its own in the best league in the world and 

2- we actually have never seen this style of football before - it does take some getting used to- it goes from downright boring to unbelievable highs in the flick of a switch- its definitely taking some time for me to adjust to and I think the crowd just get a bit bored at certain points and want to see us pass our way up the pitch quicker sometimes- again I see no problem in that as some of the time we probably should be 

It all comes down to a bit of perspective- I am just trying to enjoy it for what it is- the second tier against weaker oppo and we are doing very well- its not the summit- we arent the finished article and you know what yes at times seeing vesty, faes and the keeper pass it to each other 15 times can be a bit boring- but we are winning more often than not and if you cannot enjoy the team we love winning then there is definitely something wrong with you- enjoy it for what it is - do I think this team could cut it in the prem- 100% absolutely not - they would get found out massively but weve got plenty of time to worry about that - and so has Enzo- id prefer him to just keep doing what he is doing and hopefully learn from where we have made mistakes rather than have a hissy fit because every member of the crowd doesnt adore his beautiful football- get over it and get us out of this division please Enzo

I have no entitlement- Iv spent 80% of my supporting life watching us at this level- enjoy this year for what it is- nothing better than our team winning- nothing!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Top European manager is pushing it. What have you seen to suggest that? Lets talk in a couple years after he's actually managed in the Premier League.

How is it possible to witness last season, and then this, and remain so negative?? 

I bloody love the bloke

• Like 4

If Enzo decides to call it a day, then these fans who are moaning and want some kick 'n' rush ping pong football, will only get a possession-based coach as a replacement.  The club has decided since the days of Puel to go down the route of 'keep ball' and nothing will change in the foreseeable future.  I for one don't want to go back to lumping it up the field or become a counter-attacking team again, it wouldn't work in the championship, teams would sit off us and the players wouldn't know what the hell to do!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, murphy said:

I must admit, I have my doubts.  We can afford to play like Man City in this division because we are the Man City of this division, just like Burnley were last year.  I think that the way that Burnley have been carved apart this year is a glimpse into our own future.  I think we will have to be a lot less open and a bit more ugly to survive.

There's no guarantee an "uglier" brand would be more successful when we get promoted either.

Certainly adaptation will be required, but I really don't get the clamour for it now rather than when it is actually required (eg. to win games we might otherwise lose, which categorically isn't the case now).

5 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

How is it possible to witness last season, and then this, and remain so negative?? 

I bloody love the bloke

He's not being negative, the post is factual.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

These comments are lazy.

I don't want to see us "lump it forwards" but we should play with more intensity and quicker football. There are times this season it's been good, but there are times when it's been boring too (we scored quickly yesterday and then Swansea grew into the game before we got a lucky penalty). We're top of the league, and, on top of that have players that are often better than those we come up against.

As for all the "we will get what we wish for" regarding Enzo. He's inherited one of the best squad's this division has ever seen, anywhere other than top 3 would be disappointing for us. He isn't working miracles. That's on top of our budget and facilities compared to the rest of the league.

We still concede far to many chances but luckily the opposition haven't great quality. Finishing is the difference between this league and the Premier League. Enzo hasn't even managed in the PL yet so he can go through all this "I will leave" ideas about all he likes.

So did Leeds and Southampton. One of the 3 of us is 10 points clear. We are miles away from being 'disappointed' being anywhere other than top 3.

As for the last point, the stats paint a very different picture, and we are +11 goal difference to the next best. Not +2 or +3. + 11.

I wish the fans could give their heads a wobble and just enjoy this for a bit. 

Edited by Chelmofox
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

I bloody love the bloke

I am not negative. This is what annoys me.

It is okay to be critical sometimes, regardless, but even with my post I was not being critical. I was questioning how OP thinks Enzo is going to be a “top European manager”.

But let’s be honest, after relegation, we’d have loved anybody to have us top of the league. But his “I will leave” persona he throws about doesn’t sit well with me, that’s all.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I didn't say he would definitely become one.

I was merely suggesting that it would be such a Leicester thing to happen if he did - after driven out by our fan base. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

There's no guarantee an "uglier" brand would be more successful when we get promoted either.

Certainly adaptation will be required, but I really don't get the clamour for it now rather than when it is actually required (eg. to win games we might otherwise lose, which categorically isn't the case now).

I'm not clamouring for anything, I am simply saying that this team playing this way might be too open in the PL next year.  I have seen it many times before with promoted teams. Perhaps you're right and Enzo will adapt and perhaps I'm wrong and we will succeed where Burnley have failed.  I tend to think that Enzo has a set of footballing prnciples that he will live or die by however.

Anyway, I was simply wondering aloud about whether Maresca feels that this time can compete next year without significant reinforcements,  I am not clamouring or even wishing for change.

2 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

So did Leeds and Southampton. One of the 3 of us is 10 points clear. We are miles away from being 'disappointed' being anywhere other than top 3.

As for the last point, the stats paint a very different picture, and we are +11 goal difference to the next best. Not +2 or +3, + 11.

I wish the fans could give their heads a wobble and just enjoy this for a bit. 

I am enjoying it.

I wish people would give their heads a wobble and realise the difference. 

I go home and away, I enjoy it 90% of the time, sometimes I don’t. Was I enjoying walking out of Hillsborough having conceded? No. Was I enjoying walking out of The Hawthorns having won? Yes.

I can be critical and enjoy it. I’ve done that with every manger we’ve ever had while I’ve supported the club. 

• Like 2

I do think the style of play is a bit boring and I can get frustrated with it at times, but ultimately it's more than doing the trick and I'm totally behind it. Yes there are weaknesses and yes I wish we were more ruthless when a goal up, but points are all that matter.

The job this season is to get out of this league. Our squad, on the whole, is too good for this league, so adopting a slower, controlled style of play is a really sensible way of maximising that quality and ensuring that we keep ticking over during a long season.

I've come to the conclusion though that managers like Puel, Rodgers and Maresca are just never going to be that popular with a large portion of our fanbase. As a club, and as a city, I think a fast paced, aggressive, never-say-die style of play is what fits best. We love being the underdog who never know when they are beaten. That's what really resonates with the majority of Leicester fans, not a slower, methodical style of play that also tend to come with a lack of resilience when we are put under pressure.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Trev3939 said:

how can people seriously not like him? I get the football may appear 'boring' but it works and it is making us currently the best team the championship has ever seen. Our fans nee d to stop complaining for once and support him. If he leaves out of frustration it will be the worst thing to happen to the club in a long time

I don't dislike him, Just don't like the boring brand of football we play, if you are happy to pay 36 quid to watch 70 mins of the defenders pissing about with it at the back then good on ya, but when I go to watch a game I liked to be entertained.. And looking at all the empty seats last night I'd say I'm not alone but that's just my opinion maybe I'm wrong,  If we try to play the same way if promoted  we will be next seasons Sheff Utd..

2 minutes ago, murphy said:

I'm not clamouring for anything, I am simply saying that this team playing this way might be too open in the PL next year.  I have seen it many times before with promoted teams. Perhaps you're right and Enzo will adapt and perhaps I'm wrong and we will succeed where Burnley have failed.  I tend to think that Enzo has a set of footballing prnciples that he will live or die by however.

Anyway, I was simply wondering aloud about whether Maresca feels that this time can compete next year without significant reinforcements,  I am not clamouring or even wishing for change.

Apologies, should have been clearer that I was referring more to elements of the fanbase in general rather than you specifically when it comes to "clamouring", which is rather clearly happening.

Again, I agree that adaptation should be required when we go up, but I think those elements of the fanbase (again) are being a little unwise by calling for it right now.

• Like 1

Could people in this thread please try to understand that the only alternative to Maresca's style is not necessarily Tony Pullis' land of giants long ball game? 

I think in your haste to patronise, many of you are forgetting that there are many different ways to play football.

Again, I am not advocating change I just wish that people would stop being lazy and condescending.

• Like 2

I think the most boring aspects of just how a lot of teams are playing now is that there are so few physical battles on the pitch. 1 team has possession, the other team watches them pass the ball. Then the other team has the ball and the opposition watch them pass it around.

Wolves v West Brom has 7 tackles in the first half. In what is supposed to be a ferocious derby,

The competitiveness of the game is being sucked out, tactics are getting more and more risk averse to the point where games are more and more becoming about who makes the fewest mistakes. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, murphy said:

Could people in this thread please try to understand that the only alternative to Maresca's style is not necessarily Tony Pullis' land of giants long ball game? 

I think in your haste to patronise, many of you are forgetting that there are many different ways to play football.

Again, I am not advocating change I just wish that people would stop being lazy and condescending.

I've come to the conclusion this is the default response you'll end up with. It's what I've had all morning.

There are different ways to play football. I think Liverpool show that under Klopp, they play good fast football but are direct with it.

• Like 1