Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

The Enzo Thread

Start of the season Neil Warnock joked that his scout told him Leicester hadn't got one team capable of promotion, but 2! 

Allowing a bit of poetic licence for lack of balance, he ain't far off; 

Stolarcyk/ Iversen 

Doyle Coady,  Souttar, VK

Praet & Hamza & McAteer

Kels & Daka & Cannon

3 minutes ago, Danno said:

😂 all failed, which is why we’re in the championship, and no one wanted them in the summer. Musa had a good game once in the PL, doesn’t make him a PL player 

How many players did Hull have today who've played multiple times at the top.level?

I like what Enzo  is trying to achieve but we do have the best squad in the league.  

Bot getting promoted would be a failure and it’ll be harder next year with the teams that go down and us having to sell players / loose them at the end of their contract.  Next season if we are in the championship will be a real test for Enzo.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I did actually yes. I’ve said throughout that I’ve held some reservations about Enzo’s reluctance to be flexible. You learn nothing about a team and manager when you’re winning, but you do when you’re losing, and at the moment Enzo doesn’t appear to be dealing with it very well. Is it lack of experience or stubbornness. 

Not my point really, your point alludes to us being better this season had we played with a different style of play, as we aren't playing to our strengths and that we struggle to play it. But based on the winning runs and the fact that with 9 to play we're top we probably are fairly good at playing it. I'm not debating whether he could mix it up a bit more in games like against QPR.

4 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Yeah, in some games it worked and we looked fantastic, in most it's been the bare minimum for a team of our quality in the championship, 
Hermansen is a premier league keeper already I think most of us can agree,
Ndidi
Vardy
Coady
Ricardo
Winks
KDH is one of the best midfielders in the division and arguably a lower prem player for many
Iheanacho is a premier league level striker 
Vestergaard is arguably the best CB in the division
Dennis Praet is better than the championship
Callum Doyle is proven at this level
Faes is more than good enough for this level 
Souttar proven at this level and has had some decent games in the prem
Mavididi and Fatawu are 2 of the best wingers in the division, Fatawu could very likely step up as could possibly Mavididi with the right setup and some confidence. 

This is a top 2 team minimum.
Regarding which system is better, it's not my job to decide that, but i'd suggest we would very likely improve if we played a system that didn't actively play against the strengths of our players collectively. Even if we wanted to play possession, Alonso has a very aggressive possession based system that utilises overlaps and fast flowing attacks, something that would much better suit many of our players, we both have the same average possession this season. 
Too many times this season we have been below par for our level in this division. 

Enzo is in the minority of managers playing this style in worldwide football, there are plenty of alternative systems that would work with the squad we have, what we are doing right now is exacerbating our own flaws by playing a way that our players can't play to a high standard consistently enough, we've been let off the hook by opponents missing chances on many occasions this season, but we have also made a hash of many of our own chances this year too. 

Great post

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Finn Claw II said:

I like what Enzo  is trying to achieve but we do have the best squad in the league.  

Bot getting promoted would be a failure and it’ll be harder next year with the teams that go down and us having to sell players / loose them at the end of their contract.  Next season if we are in the championship will be a real test for Enzo whoever replaces Enzo.

If we don't get promoted he will be gone imo.

12 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Yeah, in some games it worked and we looked fantastic, in most it's been the bare minimum for a team of our quality in the championship, 
Hermansen is a premier league keeper already I think most of us can agree,
Ndidi
Vardy
Coady
Ricardo
Winks
KDH is one of the best midfielders in the division and arguably a lower prem player for many
Iheanacho is a premier league level striker 
Vestergaard is arguably the best CB in the division
Dennis Praet is better than the championship
Callum Doyle is proven at this level
Faes is more than good enough for this level 
Souttar proven at this level and has had some decent games in the prem
Mavididi and Fatawu are 2 of the best wingers in the division, Fatawu could very likely step up as could possibly Mavididi with the right setup and some confidence. 

This is a top 2 team minimum.
Regarding which system is better, it's not my job to decide that, but i'd suggest we would very likely improve if we played a system that didn't actively play against the strengths of our players collectively. Even if we wanted to play possession, Alonso has a very aggressive possession based system that utilises overlaps and fast flowing attacks, something that would much better suit many of our players, we both have the same average possession this season. 
Too many times this season we have been below par for our level in this division. 

Enzo is in the minority of managers playing this style in worldwide football, there are plenty of alternative systems that would work with the squad we have, what we are doing right now is exacerbating our own flaws by playing a way that our players can't play to a high standard consistently enough, we've been let off the hook by opponents missing chances on many occasions this season, but we have also made a hash of many of our own chances this year too. 

Well. That's certainly an opinion. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Paninistickers said:

I'm.noy anti Enzo per se. And there may well be long term benefits of the system, as evidenced at Bournemouth. 

But, I've had this nagging feeling from the that a  much more pragmatic conventional 4231, with full backs bombing forward, would have blown this division away. 

Mads

JJ and VK as full backs 

Vesty, Coady, Faes, Big H (pick any 2) 

Ricky Wilf Winks and KDH

Kels and Vards

....Rotation and tactical changes for game changing pace and and legs with Mavididi, Fatawa, Hamza, Daka 

We'd literally destroy teams

I've thought the same over the last couple of weeks

2 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I'm.noy anti Enzo per se. And there may well be long term benefits of the system, as evidenced at Bournemouth. 

But, I've had this nagging feeling from the that a  much more pragmatic conventional 4231, with full backs bombing forward, would have blown this division away. 

Mads

JJ and VK as full backs 

Ricky Wilf Winks and KDH

Kels and Vards

....Rotation and tactical changes for game changing pace and and legs with Mavididi, Fatawa, Hamza, Daka 

JJ who, best will in the world, isn't a ball player and can't cross. 

VK. Unknown quantity. Could be shit. 

Your two CBs are what we have now. Fine. 

Two holding midfielders? Why? Who is ripping through the lines at this level? We only have Wilf and Winks that naturally play there anyway. 

KDH as the only out and out attacking midfielder. 

Kels been woefully for years. Vardy, the GOAT, is on his last legs. 

Like I said, it's definitely a opinion.

5 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Mads

JJ and VK as full backs 

Ricky Wilf Winks and KDH

Kels and Vards

Sort of agree with this. I think this system is about long term payoff, if it fails in the Prem (should we get there) then it will have been a terrible route to go down. We've probably made it more challenging for ourselves this season.

Having said that, a month or so ago we looked on course to set the points record.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Number 6 said:

Sort of agree with this. I think this system is about long term payoff, if it fails in the Prem (should we get there) then it will have been a terrible route to go down. We've probably made it more challenging for ourselves this season.

Having said that, a month or so ago we looked on course to set the points record.

Fwiw, I think we'll go up! 

But my (many) points are we've made awful heavy weather of a division with a squad that was largely designed for a top 10 PL campaign 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Finn Claw II said:

Bot getting promoted would be a failure and it’ll be harder next year with the teams that go down and us having to sell players / loose them at the end of their contract.  Next season if we are in the championship will be a real test for Enzo.

They'll sack him if we don't go up 

3 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Fwiw, I think we'll go up! 

But my (many) points are we've made awful heavy weather of a division with a squad that was largely designed for a top 10 PL campaign 

Not a chance this squad gets top 10 in the PL.

Just now, coolhandfox said:

Not a chance this squad gets top 10 in the PL.

I think the point was more that the players were signed for that level, even though many of them have not performed at that level, they are miles above the championship regardless of the poor few seasons they have had. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

He's been given 15 or so premier league players and the biggest budget ever at this level (by a mile) to play at a level below and finish in the top two. 

I'm not having a pop at him. But it's a stark reality that literally any normal manager should be able to win promotion when dealt  a hand like that. 

On paper, yes. But when we got relegated most people on here feared the worst. 

I'm not saying he's perfect, and there's still time to go yet, but we sit above Leeds and Southampton in the table who also have Premier League players in abundance. 

It isn't all bad.

Ultimately I think Enzo's game is highly dependent on having technically gifted players, and coaching. With the volume of fixtures recently, we'll have barely trained shape and routines.

Meanwhile, it's not surprising that the loss of Pereira has coincided with us looking a little ordinary. He plays a key role in the midfield. He's intelligent, nippy, and has real quality. Without him we can look sluggish, and it's an awful lot easier to double up on Winks with no Ricardo to worry about. 

I think we'll see an upturn in form after the international break. A bit of time on the training pitch, and hopefully N'didi and Pereira starting, will make all the difference.

Hopefully next season we'll be able to recruit a core of quality midfielders of the Sensi profile, potentially funded by a KDH sale. 

To write him off after a two week wobble is ridiculous.

• Like 1

Just now, Nod.E said:

On paper, yes. But when we got relegated most people on here feared the worst. 

I'm not saying he's perfect, and there's still time to go yet, but we sit above Leeds and Southampton in the table who also have Premier League players in abundance. 

It isn't all bad.

Ultimately I think Enzo's game is highly dependent on having technically gifted players, and coaching. With the volume of fixtures recently, we'll have barely trained shape and routines.

Meanwhile, it's not surprising that the loss of Pereira has coincided with us looking a little ordinary. He plays a key role in the midfield. He's intelligent, nippy, and has real quality. Without him we can look sluggish, and it's an awful lot easier to double up on Winks with no Ricardo to worry about. 

I think we'll see an upturn in form after the international break. A bit of time on the training pitch, and hopefully N'didi and Pereira starting, will make all the difference.

Hopefully next season we'll be able to recruit a core of quality midfielders of the Sensi profile, potentially funded by a KDH sale. 

To write him off after a two week wobble is ridiculous.

Not writing him.off. But it is unacceptable to fail with promotion with the hand he was dealt..

It'd be the equivalent of Man City finishing fifth and in the Europa. Totally unacceptable.