Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

The Enzo Thread

The Enzo appointment was an interesting one and one I had very much been enjoying, but it does feel a bit strange given the financial stuff floating about. Negated our fullbacks which I think are very strong for the division, and probably doesn't utilise our striker firepower as much as it could. Arguably made a difficult transfer window even harder to navigate.

Just now, Number 6 said:

The Enzo appointment was an interesting one and one I had very much been enjoying, but it does feel a bit strange given the financial stuff floating about. Negated our fullbacks which I think are very strong for the division, and probably doesn't utilise our striker firepower as much as it could. Arguably made a difficult transfer window even harder to navigate.

I'd say our strikers are the weakest part of our squad. The GOAT, now 37, a wildly unpredictable Daka, Kels who is an enigma and a unproven Cannon. 

Just now, sbfox said:

I'd say our strikers are the weakest part of our squad. The GOAT, now 37, a wildly unpredictable Daka, Kels who is an enigma and a unproven Cannon. 

In the right system any one of those 4 could be top scorers in this division.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, sbfox said:

Disagree with this. 3 of these (Kel aside) have had strong returns on the runs of games they have had and if any one had been the ‘main man’ for the season rather than being chopped and changed, would have likely had strong returns. 

Complete lack of any depth in central midfield (8’s and Winks cover) and on the wings are/have been far bigger issue imo.

• Like 3

Just now, LCFCJohn said:

Disagree with this. 3 of these (Kel aside) have had strong returns on the runs of games they have had and if any one had been the ‘main man’ for the season rather than being chopped and changed, would have likely had strong returns. 

Complete lack of any depth in central midfield (8’s and Winks cover) and on the wings are/have been far bigger issue imo.

Isn't the point we're getting at that actually this squad might not be all that it's cracked up to be and that actually we've done very well with what we have available...? 

Just now, Paninistickers said:

Not writing him.off. But it is unacceptable to fail with promotion with the hand he was dealt..

It'd be the equivalent of Man City finishing fifth and in the Europa. Totally unacceptable.

I'm not having that - sorry.  There is no current Man City equivalent of our relegation and subsequent loss of our best playmaker and most prolific winger. Wind the clock back to our ridiculous pre season, and so many on here were predicting that we would have a shocking start to the season and that we would be lucky to be chasing playoffs. 

The start that our team had this season raised the bar significantly, but i think lots of people have forgotten how sh1te things became and what a job it was to turn it around. We are now in a sticky patch and underperforming, but it was literally 6 league games ago (Watford) we were calling out the amazing work he had done and 5 league games ago (Sheff Weds) where we were saying we saw the best 1st half display this team had ever made. Around all that, we matched and beat a relatively strong PL side.

The bloke is not beyond criticism and i think there is a lot of work to do, but it doesn't take much for the vultures to come swirling. 

33 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

But, I've had this nagging feeling from the that a  much more pragmatic conventional 4231, with full backs bombing forward, would have blown this division away. 

We spent a significant portion of this season blowing the division away. We had one of the best starts ever seen and had a riciulous xmas and new year campaign.

Bring on a relatively stress free FA cup game, try and reset over the international break. It's not beyond the realms of possibility, that we finish the season strongly.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, sbfox said:

What's the right system? 

I don't think there's one right but one which places more emphasis on strikers than our current one does would probably lead to more goals. Southampton getting good returns from their forwards and I think ours are stronger.

1 minute ago, Number 6 said:

I don't think there's one right but one which places more emphasis on strikers than our current one does would probably lead to more goals. Southampton getting good returns from their forwards and I think ours are stronger.

Yet they are 4th?

Isn't the point we're getting at that actually this squad might not be all that it's cracked up to be and that actually we've done very well with what we have available...? 

It’s just hugely unbalanced. We don’t need 4 strikers (even thought as I say above, they are not the problem individually) and we don’t need 5 goalkeepers. If you could say remove Ward and Nacho from the squad and have these numbers in the form of another winger and number 8 even, I think this would have helped us hugely.

In terms of the quality of players we do have, you’d be reaching to suggest we have over performed but depth in key areas is lacking. This isn’t something to be put at Enzo’s door. You can only do so much in one summer and one (very quiet) winter windows.

1 minute ago, Number 6 said:

The question was about getting the best out of strikers. Not what the best overall system is.

But surely if it was much better they would have scored more goals than us and be in a better position than us?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sbfox said:

What's the right system? 

Any combination of 2 upfront (preferably Iheanacho/Vardy but can rotate as Daka/Cannon, Vardy/Cannon with Cannon dropping back as a "playmaker" ST) , a 10 with free roam instructions, Pereira/Justin as advanced FBs and Ndidi as a DMF. 

5 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

But... I don't know what this means? 

4 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

But surely if it was much better they would have scored more goals than us and be in a better position than us?

It's better in the sense that they have a striker on 18 is all I'm saying. I think that's an area of our squad we are strong in and probably haven't utilised to its fullest. 

Edited by Number 6

2 minutes ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

Any combination of 2 upfront (preferably Iheanacho/Vardy but can rotate as Daka/Cannon, Vardy/Cannon with Cannon dropping back as a "playmaker" ST) , a 10 with free roam instructions, Pereira/Justin as advanced FBs and Ndidi as a DMF. 

So the Rodgers system? 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 hour ago, when_you're_smiling said:

I think people have regularly forgotten he’s basically a managerial novice including when we were on a roll. He’s still learning about being a number one and he’ll learn a lot in the next few weeks. That’s part and parcel of taking a gamble on him. 

He's had 9 months to think of something different and his ability to see whats required is lacking for me. Not sure he'll ever learn as he's obsessed with 'the idea'. Coady had to play today.

4 minutes ago, sbfox said:

But... I don't know what this means? 

All I'm saying is, on the last day of last season if you'd have looked at our squad and chosen a manager to get the best out of the current players at the time, you probably wouldn't have gone with Enzo. We made the transfer window more difficult imo.

So the Rodgers system? 

What do you mean the Rodgers system? Rodgers only implemented this one when he was out of options and was forced to do it. It was just 5 or max 6 games if I remember well and we didn't lose any of them. We even won a game against Liverpool at home, if I'm not mistaken, with a depleted squad and this exact tactical plan. 

3 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

All I'm saying is, on the last day of last season if you'd have looked at our squad and chosen a manager to get the best out of the current players at the time, you probably wouldn't have gone with Enzo. We made the transfer window more difficult imo.

I think that’s a bit harsh. I probably wouldn’t have chosen Mahrez as a choice for a winger for example. 

just because someone is an option we didn’t think about, doesn’t make them a bad option