Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

The Enzo Thread

15 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Mavididi annoyed me far less than a lot of other players last night. He wasn't good but he was the only one trying to actually make anything happen. Often led down blind alleys though. I cut the wingers quite a bit of slack in this system.

But the opposition know what he's going to do 90% of the time. Slow dribbling towards the slowly retreating fullback, doing loads of little stepovers and fake shoulder drops, followed by a stop and pass back/inside or running out of space and losing the ball or conceding a goal kick. 

Enzo fkin loves this as it "keeps the ball" whereas actually taking the fullback on is risky and gives away possession a lot, which is an Enzo no no. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

His style of football only works with elite players.

Man City can do it because even if opposition are making it difficult De Bruyne, Silva, Foden, Haaland etc will do something out of the ordinary.

We don’t have that and as soon as teams figured out how we play (and our reluctance to change) we’ve become very easy to play against. Even though we’re top, I can’t recall the last game we won comfortably 

Exactly this. The opposition concede territory and pack their half, knowing that we'll commit players forward in greater numbers and there'll be an opportunity to break against a lumbering lighthouse and sideshow bob on acid. 

All they have to do is block channels and force play wide by packing the middle of the pitch. If we don't get our passes 100 percent right, we cannot break them down. And even when we do get it right, we seem unable to do the simple thing at the right time, and pass when we should shoot or vice-versa. 

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Think a lot of the issues with Enzo come from expectation, whatever they may be on an individual basis. After the problems of last season they were fairly low generally I think, but the rapid start, perhaps beyond expectations for some, on point for others, did little to temper expectations.

We also should be careful not to reinflate the ratings of some of these players that contributed to our demise next season, as it is a group project.

I am not trying to excuse his poor adaption to the tools available to him, these players are sufficient for this level, but I suspect his inexperience is limiting what he feels comfortable utilising, hence the lack of flexibility we are seeing.

If this is to be a long term project then so be it (Puel, Rodgers, Enzo suggests it is), stick with it, give him the best tools we can to allow him to evolve this squad into a group suitable of carrying out his vision.

Suspect he may walk come the end of the season though and I could not really blame him if the opaqueness of the board is found to be true.

I completely agree with most of this apart from the long term project bit as I don’t want that at all. But regarding expectations, if I remember rightly at the beginning of the season we had polls asking where people think we would finish and a very large portion of the fans put that we would either finish in the playoffs or miss out on them completely. (I voted top 2) 

So fast forward a few months and we find ourselves 14 points clear of 3rd and suddenly we were outperforming a lot of people’s expectations by an enormous amount. Which led to the vomit inducing messiah status he was given for so long, where any valid criticism was responded to with a dogpile. It felt quite cult like how many were talking about him. But if you had expectations of a top 10 finish, and suddenly you’re winning and 14 clear of the playoffs it makes a bit of sense why there was such a love in for him. 

Then on the flip side, those of us that didn’t fancy his style from the first few games, to then surrender such a lead and be on the brink of financial ruin should we not seal promotion, that is a huge failure from a position of strength. 

Edited by cityfanlee23

1 hour ago, cityfanlee23 said:

I completely agree with most of this apart from the long term project bit as I don’t want that at all. But regarding expectations, if I remember rightly at the beginning of the season we had polls asking where people think we would finish and a very large portion of the fans put that we would either finish in the playoffs or miss out on them completely. (I voted top 2) 

So fast forward a few months and we find ourselves 14 points clear of 3rd and suddenly we were outperforming a lot of people’s expectations by an enormous amount. Which led to the vomit inducing messiah status he was given for so long, where any valid criticism was responded to with a dogpile. It felt quite cult like how many were talking about him. But if you had expectations of a top 10 finish, and suddenly you’re winning and 14 clear of the playoffs it makes a bit of sense why there was such a love in for him. 

Then on the flip side, those of us that didn’t fancy his style from the first few games, to then surrender such a lead and be on the brink of financial ruin should we not seal promotion, that is a huge failure from a position of strength. 

Think this is not true to that extent, at least not by most anyway, but I can see where you are coming from, as when we were this far clear at the top, the hyperbole was always going to be bonkers over the top, just like it was in reverse after losing some games and the gap closing. Footballs fans do love a big fat chunk of hyperbole whatever flavour the chunk, that is for sure!

Enzo is doomed by his style to some degree as he favours control first and foremost, the start of the season made this exceptionally difficult to argue with from a results perspective, but now we have slowed, look leggy and lost, just as others have picked up the competitive pace, closing the gap, the twitchiness is also understandable.

It is easy to forget he is like a kid in management, no amount of Pep-ism buys him experience, so we need to tough out this end of season and pray he get us over the line, assisting in the only meaningful way we can  :scarf: 

• Like 2

Moaning about scheduling now.

We played Tuesday, then on Friday.

Ipswich played Wednesday, then on Saturday. 

What’s the difference? Use your squad!

Both of our games are away but I’m sure they’ll be traveling in luxury, in advance, staying in a very nice hotel.

Ipswich’s games are both at home but if we’re splitting hairs Ipswich actually have a quicker turnaround, less time between games.

I appreciate Leeds played Tuesday and have an extra day but I’m sure they have a similar scenario coming up too.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Matt said:

Moaning about scheduling now.

We played Tuesday, then on Friday.

Ipswich played Wednesday, then on Saturday. 

What’s the difference? Use your squad!

Both of our games are away but I’m sure they’ll be traveling in luxury, in advance, staying in a very nice hotel.

Ipswich’s games are both at home but if we’re splitting hairs Ipswich actually have a quicker turnaround, less time between games.

I appreciate Leeds played Tuesday and have an extra day but I’m sure they have a similar scenario coming up too.

In fairness he does have a point on this one.

Ipswich and Leeds are both home both games and we're incorporating our longest distance away game. The Plymouth/Boro/Sunderland away games are always going to be a ballache for most teams, it's shifting it to the Friday after a midweek game that's a bit unlucky for us.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kyleolly said:

Looks to be making excuses already for Friday in his press conference the poor darlings have to travel 5 hours on a luxury bus oh the torture.

They could take the plane down…

In his Plymouth PC he speaks of Tom Cannon. Fantastic player fantastic professional etc etc. But he doesn't really fit, or at least that's what I think he meant. It begs the question therefore. Wtf did you buy him?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Number 6 said:

In fairness he does have a point on this one.

Ipswich and Leeds are both home both games and we're incorporating our longest distance away game. The Plymouth/Boro/Sunderland away games are always going to be a ballache for most teams, it's shifting it to the Friday after a midweek game that's a bit unlucky for us.

Don't they charter Jets these days?

1 minute ago, Fazzer 7 said:

In his Plymouth PC he speaks of Tom Cannon. Fantastic player fantastic professional etc etc. But he doesn't really fit, or at least that's what I think he meant. It begs the question therefore. Wtf did you buy him?

Well that's not what he said was it? He's saying we've got 4 strikers, we only play 1, someone misses out. At the minute its Cannon although it should be Daka that's exiled.

And on your 2nd point, isn't it common knowledge that it was a club signing, not an Enzo one??? As a contingency plan for when Vardy retires.

2 hours ago, Rupert Von Suckalemon said:

Maresca has stated in his press conference that he is not concerned about

the teams missed chances…….

Astonishing………..

What a stupid thing for Enzo to say. 

If you miss your chances you never score 

If you take them or at least make the keeper work you score or create some jeopardy in the danger area for defections, rebounds etc.

Tango Whiskey Alpha Tango 

3 hours ago, Rupert Von Suckalemon said:

Maresca has stated in his press conference that he is not concerned about

the teams missed chances…….

Astonishing………..

Perhaps we have to wait until he's concerned for him to do something about it! Someone needs to creep up behind him and stick a pin in a balloon to see if the surprise wakes him up a bit! 🤣

• Like 1

I've gave him benefit of the doubt because it's his first experience at a decent managerial job with ALL eyes/pressure on him with a club that dont know their elbow from their leg, but recently he's coming across quite mentally weak & Excuse wh××× esqe and that mindstate only trickles down to the squad, they need a leader with fight & drive in them, who adapts to every situation with ambition not a "woe is me". 

Tends to over think things sometimes. I mean, what did he see in Millwall that made him think that switching Wilf and KDH from their normal and most effective positions was a good idea? And why play Yunus on the wing when he only ever produces when further inside?

His substitutions aren't great, either. Usually too late and like for like. 

Millwall just read the Hull City blueprint, and we couldn't react.

We did finish with 2 strikers though, albeit too late and unfortunately he only had Toblerone Head to bring on, but it gave me hope that the penny has dropped, and he realises that sometimes a plan B is necessary and playing with 2 strikers can work.

28 minutes ago, Noahfence said:

I hate it when managers start moaning about scheduling. He must know what the championship is like. Use your squad. 

I think he's unhappy that it was moved from a Saturday fixture to accommodate tv. It wouldn't be that bad if it were away to a Midlands team, but it does seem a tad unfair that we have to travel to a midweek game in London and then to probably the longest journey away and play again some 72 hours later. I appreciate teams have similar schedules, but both our main rivals have two home games where they can recover without the added travelling.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Presumably with our finances the squad will head down on a Megabus.

Don't be ridiculous. 

They have nominated certain players in the squad to drive and they will each take 3 players with them. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

This is such an important point. Post 2015/16, we set out to build a ball playing technical squad. I remember repeatedly on here that is evident that the managers of the time. Claude Puel mainly wanted to play that way. 

it took us from the disaster of the summer of 2016 - 2019 to build a very good squad. Plenty of mistakes along the way but a lot of investment. 

Enzo isn’t going to get the perfect squad next year or the year after - for the club of our size, it takes time to a) attract such player; and b) finance each move. 

That 16-19 period had us selling players for unprecedented amounts. Two world class players and England’s main CB. That was all while keeping a 20 goal a season international striker - will really have that opportunity again ?

I think our recruitment is quite mish mash even now though. I can only conclude the likes of Souttar and Coady were bought in spite of this type of football rather than because of it, and both have been frozen out as a result. I know people point to Vestergaard regarding Coady and I do get that, but he just clearly doesn't fancy Coady at all.

Souttar was a ridiculous signing within the paradigm of playing a dogmatic technical style. I feel whoever we appoint should be able to get him to work at this level in spite of this. It's the perfect case study of our inefficiency as a club and the root of why we're now in the shit.