Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Liverpool pre match - EFL Cup

3 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I guess if he feels JJ is better on the right, we could just invert form the other side?

So Ricky plays on the left and into midfield with JJ sticking on the right in the Doyle role?

Still leaves you without someone comfortable on the left in the 3, in possession.  

Ricardo Winks 

Faes Coady JJ 

Edited by pmcla26

4 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I guess if he feels JJ is better on the right, we could just invert form the other side?

So Ricky plays on the left and into midfield with JJ sticking on the right in the Doyle role?

It’s funny as most of us would say he’s always looked better on the left when playing. Doesn’t seem to defend as well at RB for me can’t understand why. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

It’s funny as most of us would say he’s always looked better on the left when playing. Doesn’t seem to defend as well at RB for me can’t understand why. 

Yeah I thought it was odd of him to say that. For me JJ is the left sider, he's improved two games when coming on in that position for me. Seems an obvious like for like.

I guess the wory is his own fitness, if we lose him too we're really stuffed.

• Like 1

A couple of reasons why all the managers from the Pep stable want a left sided CB:

• Can play the ball first time down the line to beat the press.
  • Don't need to cut back in when being given the ball from the keeper.
  • Can play the diagonal ball to the opposite side winger, like Doyle did for one of McAteer's goals.

I've seen be it a big deal for Pep, Arteta, Kompany and now Maresca. Primarily, I think it's the issue of being pressed, that one extra step you might need could mean the difference between being able to play out or not.

A huge shame for Doyle, who had started the season well. JJ probably comes into begin with, but I think we will see Ben Nelson being used in the last 10/20 for a bit to see if he's got what it takes.

• Like 3

Pep Lijnders [Liverpool's assistant manager]

"We know we will play against a team with individual quality, a real clear offensive idea. The coach is dong an unbelievable job, each player can play in Premier League to be honest. We have to control their key players and put them under pressure."

•  
  •  

I’d be reintegrating Souttar, asap on the back of the Doyle news. Coady has a way to go to get up to speed and be through his time out, with no guarantee of it being a straight-line progression.  We’re one more knock away from being a bit short. 

• Like 2