Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Liverpool 3-1 LCFC - Post Match

7 hours ago, Chico1958 said:

Although I  think the boys did OK, I'm getting a bit frustrated that we don't have a Plan B 

Playing against teams that have a High Press means we play ourselves in to trouble. 

Last night was not the first time I've watched our keeper play a poor ball to a player who's hurried and made a poor decision or been caught in possession.

Apart from that Glad we're out and we can concentrate on the Division  

The problem last night was that we didn't have the 3 players in the team who can play accurate longer passes out from the back when we are up against a high pressing team (Mads, Faes and Doyle). At Norwich, for example, we kept popping the ball over their high press and building from there. So I think the system is adaptable with the right personnel in the team. They just weren't playing last night!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, AjcW said:

I just don't buy it, especially given we failed to find Kasey ANY loan for the first half of last season.

Took Enzo five minutes to realise we had a player there!

We've had good relationships with the likes of WBA (desperate for players last season), Huddersfield and Luton in the past. Maybe Luton aside there's no way to other two didn't have a need for him last season. 

At the very least league 1, I stand by the fact if you have any feeling that you might have a good player on your hands they should never go out on loan more than two levels below your current level.

You only have to look at the fact he played left back at U21 level (and also in an FA Cup game for the useless midget) to know we didn't have a clue.

The player has an agent, you really think he wouldn't be telling clubs of his availability. The simple answer is usually the right one, nobody was interested. Maresca played him out of necessity, we had few other options. He was desperate to bring in a load of other wingers, so he didn't have that much confidence in him at the start. 

• Like 1

McAteer and Ndidi did not hold Szobodly in Liverpool's second goal. In the third goal, Ndidi could have prevented Jota from receiving the ball. They could have been much better defensively.

Edited by Naat

On 28/09/2023 at 17:55, Sunbury Fox said:

The problem last night was that we didn't have the 3 players in the team who can play accurate longer passes out from the back when we are up against a high pressing team (Mads, Faes and Doyle). At Norwich, for example, we kept popping the ball over their high press and building from there. So I think the system is adaptable with the right personnel in the team. They just weren't playing last night!

When Bristol closed us down as we was seeing that game out, I was impressed how we pinged it around them, Rodgers was never able to get us doing that, his dominant runs were when teams sat back in fear, one of the triggers for Rodgers problems was once other teams started closing us down he could never get the players to deal with it.   I feel Enzo has been working on this though and seems to have a better understanding of how to play this way.

Not sure if we we can ever deal with EPL team's pressing us, it requires a really high calibre of player, and Burnley are showing the problems.  But we have improved in this area at least compared to our recent EPL seasons.

Even pep had initial issues but luckily he has club owners with a unlimited cheque book to get him the personnel.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1

On 28/09/2023 at 10:17, NewquayFox said:

I so wanted to beat them last night but as you say it’s a blessing in disguise as that Ref was never going to allow Liverpool to lose with his biased display, we got out of it injury free and McAteer scored another goal, plus Akgun had a decent first half and Cody looked excellent ibut not quite not fully fit yet…

Yeah a fairly graceful exit, I will take that.

• Like 1

On 28/09/2023 at 09:57, MGLCFC said:

When people say not so long ago we were on a par with Liverpool and look how far we've dropped, that is true. But we are where we are so rebuilding is a necessity. Should we get promoted, another rebuild will be required to compete in the Premier League. There's only a handful of players at present that could play to the level required. I would expect, 5 or 6 new arrivals next year, along with the same number leaving. It's getting more and more difficult to sustain a challenge to the big money boys as they asset strip your club once they see you as a threat.

They do seem to pick on specific clubs, the two obvious examples are us and saints, both of us lost a fair amount of players to them.  I think it wasnt just about getting players to help their squads but destroying a threat.

On 29/09/2023 at 17:44, Naat said:

McAteer and Ndidi did not hold Szobodly in Liverpool's second goal. In the third goal, Ndidi could have prevented Jota from receiving the ball. They could have been much better defensively.

I know what you mean and you're right, but in truth, there are very few goals in any game that are scored that couldn't have been prevented, whether it be, giving the ball away, not tracking a run, not closing down, a goalkeeper error, or giving the goalscorer too much time and space, which could have been said about Liverpools first goal.

If all teams defended perfectly, there would be hardly any goals scored, and practically no one would be bothered to watch.

2 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

They do seem to pick on specific clubs, the two obvious examples are us and saints, both of us lost a fair amount of players to them.  I think it wasnt just about getting players to help their squads but destroying a threat.

It's happening to Brighton now.