Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Liverpool 3-1 LCFC - Post Match

1 minute ago, ClaphamFox said:

I know some of our fans have sung ‘Feed the scousers’ at Christmas games, but is there any truth in their claim that we’ve sung about Hillsborough? If so, was it just a few idiots or more than that? 

We’ve had idiots do things like show the Sun newspaper image on their phone etc. 

It’s utter nonsense. I’d happily wager money tht Liverpool have more Tory supporters than Labour 

• Like 3

I like Hamza but I think last night showed how important Winks is. This isn’t even a dig at Hamza he’s just not the same kind of player. I think Winks and Hermansen starting last night and things are way less one sided. They are both absolutely pivotal to how we play. 

35 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I like Hamza but I think last night showed how important Winks is. This isn’t even a dig at Hamza he’s just not the same kind of player. I think Winks and Hermansen starting last night and things are way less one sided. They are both absolutely pivotal to how we play. 

So the question is how do we adjust the system so we don’t need to rely on one player. This is what differentiate a good coach from a great coach. Early days but it would be interesting to see how Enzo develops this in due course.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I know what you're saying, certainly on Hermansen. Hamza is excellent at moving the ball on, what Winks does in that deep role is less win the ball, but receive it and either get it forward or take it forward. Its important with the mix of players around him. 

If Hamza plays that DCM role then you need runners closer to him to create the space. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I actually think Hamza did okay with his distribution under the Liverpool press but not a patch on Winks you're right.  Positionally not quite the same awareness either but I hope that'll keep getting better under decent coaching. 

Possibly seems odd but I am starting to think that Hermansen might just be our most important signing of the summer, even with Winks in the mix.  There was a lot of space in behind Liverpool's press that was crying out for one of his pin point long balls out to a winger.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

So the question is how do we adjust the system so we don’t need to rely on one player. This is what differentiate a good coach from a great coach. Early days but it would be interesting to see how Enzo develops this in due course.

I think it's likely that the simple answer is Sammy Braybrooke as the deputy for Winks, if and when he's back playing.. What a pity that Rodgers never gave him an introduction into the team earlier.  Having seen clips of him playing for the development squad I think his style would be easily adapted to the Winks role.

• Like 1

Hermansen and Winks are of course key to our capacity to play out from the back effectively but the ability of Faes and Doyle to switch play with long cross-field passes is also vital. Last night the wide CBs were Souttar and JJ, who don't really have that in their locker. They were playing safer, shorter passes to feet. This became very predictable and enabled Liverpool to press our midfielders more easily and it also meant we weren't able to exploit the huge swathes of space behind Liverpool's high defensive line. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

I know some of our fans have sung ‘Feed the scousers’ at Christmas games, but is there any truth in their claim that we’ve sung about Hillsborough? If so, was it just a few idiots or more than that? 

As already mentioned there's been morons goading Liverpool fans with the S*n but not a chant as such.

I didn't hear it last night but the only thing that arguably has links to Hillsborough is "always the victim it's never your fault".  I recall that chant picking up momentum after the Suarez racism incident and that's all I associated it to at the time.  However I can understand how others may be throwing Hillsborough in with that and that's how it's interpreted.  I've never heard anything like some of the worst stuff sections of United fans have sung at Anfield however.

I did hear a few "murderers" after their third which is more referencing Heysel than Hillsborough but again tiny minority.

The "Tories" comments about our fans I assume is that we've been such big fans of belting out feed the scousers (not helped by the fact we ALWAYS play Everton and Liverpool at Christmas), it's seen as mocking poverty and that it's a Tory thing to do.  I doubt it has anything to do with the actual perceived political beliefs of our fanbase which as others have mentioned will vary enormously across city and county.

I don't think we have significant numbers of horrible people in our away ends but i don't think there's a lot of originality either and most of the stuff like feed the scousers is just sung to get a rise rightly or wrongly.

Possibly the most bizarre moment I've had watching Leicester here is when some fans decided to start singing you'll never walk alone at Goodison...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CaliFOXnia said:

He hasn’t been good in a single game in the league thus far, nearly had his penalty saved at the weekend and the best performance we’ve turned in all season was the game he didn’t feature. 

I mean, I’m not saying he’s the issue….. but he’s the issue. Seen time and time again on here “his ability to link the play” or “he drops deep and gets us playing” .. his first touch is absolutely abysmal, more moves and passages of play break down due to him than any other player, or even from the opposition defending efficiently. He is an absolute mile off it. Mistake after mistake chasing his first touch that’s just hit some poor fan in the disabled row square in the coupon. 

Start the King, bring Daka on and wait for Cannon to get fit. Iheanacho can run the social media or something because the bloke couldn’t trap a bag of cement. Dismal. 

There are many aspects of this I like but using the word coupon for face is elite in anyone's book.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just want to add to those who are posting what appear to be posts about the system, some claiming something is fundamentally wrong…..

It isn’t…… some have suggested we’ve been riding our luck, since the international break, we haven’t. 

Before even analysing the performance, you can’t ignore ten changes…. Some of whom have barely played a minute for us. 

I thought it was a productive evening, we were never going to win with the team we put out, it was a good exercise for the guys Enzo to test the method against better opposition. It will be used as a learning curve and help Enzo further develop his system. We shouldn’t be bothered about cups, we should be focusing on the league and the league alone!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

We’ve had idiots do things like show the Sun newspaper image on their phone etc. 

It’s utter nonsense. I’d happily wager money tht Liverpool have more Tory supporters than Labour 

Wonder what they'd whinge about if next time we just did positive chants about Keir Starmer

When people say not so long ago we were on a par with Liverpool and look how far we've dropped, that is true. But we are where we are so rebuilding is a necessity. Should we get promoted, another rebuild will be required to compete in the Premier League. There's only a handful of players at present that could play to the level required. I would expect, 5 or 6 new arrivals next year, along with the same number leaving. It's getting more and more difficult to sustain a challenge to the big money boys as they asset strip your club once they see you as a threat.

• Like 2