Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Blackburn 1-4 Foxes - Post Match Thread

1 minute ago, TeamRocket said:

Did Blackburn manager call us a Premier league side? 

Blackburn manager Jon Dahl Tomasson:

"We are extremely disappointed with the result. It doesn't reflect the game. We knew it was going to be tough against a Premier League side with a lot of good players.

(bbc)

It’s beginning to sink in. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TeamRocket said:

"We are extremely disappointed with the result. It doesn't reflect the game. We knew it was going to be tough against a Premier League side with a lot of good players.

(bbc)

Mark Robbins did the same back in August 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Sometimes we do - yes.

The second goal was amazing and we were in control for large chunks.

There are issues that are getting looked past in the way we play though. Our players are good enough to negate the errors but we need to be mindful. Maresca needs to stop the keeper ****ing about with the ball. It's nearly cost us in a good few games where our quality has just edged it.

However, if you point that out 'its the process' has become the go to response for people who think it's seen outstanding rhetorical move. It's the process. A nebulous and hard to define concept unless you've been to football University. Which, of course, I'm being highly sarcastic about.

You can't raise legitimate criticism at the minute without someone metaphorically adjusting their glasses, clearing their throat, and shutting you right up with 'it's the process'. Nobody can ever actually explain why continually making errors that will get harshly punished in the premier League fit into this mythical process.

It's like the days of Rodgers when people felt smug by never ever ever criticising him and if you pointed out room for improvement they'd tell you 'trust the system'.

So, Una, I'm being intentionally silly to mock the above.

I think the point you’re missing is that we’re a work in progress and at the beginning of a new regime. We will (well, should) make fewer of these errors the more we’re coached in the system. 

That’s the process you seem to revile. 

What does good look like to you?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

What's the process then? Everyone mentions it. What is it?

Is it like Brendan's system that everyone referenced but couldn't adequately explain.

Just outline why it's essential that our keeper must pass to the defenders even if they're under pressure and we don't deviate to that all how, what the process actually is, and how the two meet?

Perhaps then I'll understand why my saying 'that needs to change' is dangerous.

I assume it’s a process because our defenders/keeper are still coming to terms with what our manager wants. 

Constantly playing from the back obviously comes with certain risks and we will concede silly goals what ever division we are in.

But the manager has calculated the benefits outweigh the costs (keeps possession, pulls opposition players out of position, can tire the opposition, can be used against counter attacks……)

Against Blackburn I thought in the 1st half we got duped into adopting their gung ho attitude. We were much better when we passed it around in a slower more composed way. 

moreover, I don’t think we actually have the players to play any differently now. Rightly or wrongly, the club had fully supported the manager and his footballing philosophy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

What's the process then? Everyone mentions it. What is it?

Is it like Brendan's system that everyone referenced but couldn't adequately explain.

Just outline why it's essential that our keeper must pass to the defenders even if they're under pressure and we don't deviate to that all how, what the process actually is, and how the two meet?

Perhaps then I'll understand why my saying 'that needs to change' is dangerous.

It’s about creating space. The keeper adds to the back 4, so one of the the back 4 can go into the midfield and in theory outnumber the opposition whilst also trying to drag them out of position. It’s not a hard concept to understand. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, TeamRocket said:

(bbc)

The two fellas commentating for Rotherham on the stream I watched repeatedly referred to us as 'premier league side'. I commented on it at the time. 

They are right. It's absolutely grotesque that we are in this division. But it's a test of sorts and let's enjoy it while here. 

45 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Based on the average amount of points needed for 2nd (84) over the last few years we now only need 1.62 points a game for the remainder of the season. We are currently on 2.66. 

This comment gives me flash backs to 19/20 when everyone was saying that we only needed to perform at midtable level for the rest of the season to finish in the top 4 and we followed it up with bordeline relegation form.

2 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

The two fellas commentating for Rotherham on the stream I watched repeatedly referred to us as 'premier league side'. I commented on it at the time. 

They are right. It's absolutely grotesque that we are in this division. But it's a test of sorts and let's enjoy it while here. 

I heard/read plenty of fans of other championship clubs say that, and also referring to us as having a holiday for a season.

• Like 1

Thought we made it hard for ourselves with some sloppy passes in the first half but I still didn’t really feel under much pressure from them. The goal we conceded was poor, but it was going to happen at some point. Took too long to play it out, allowing them to close down quickly and then that’s what can happen. However the build up to winning the corner for the first goal starts at Mads feet, so you can see where it can be so effective. Second half for the last 35mins I thought we controlled it well. Their keeper going off injured curtailed any momentum for them, and we were fairly comfortable second half. Astounding we can have one of our poorer games and still come out with a 4-1 win. If we can sharpen up the passing and the quickness of our game, we will be hard to stop

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeamRocket said:

(bbc)

Sounds a bit Sean "Pound Notes" Dyche to me!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Yes I agree, but personally, I think it's a massive advantage. It gives Maresca 12 months to fully implement a new style, where mistakes aren't penalised very often. Had we tried to play like this had we still been in the Premier League I think some teams would have absolutely taken us apart, fans would have been discontented with the new style and confidence within the players very low. By next season, adding a few new players who are technically better than what we have now should see a smoother transition into the Premier League, IMO.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

'Idiotic'?

6 goals conceded in 9 games. It's a risky play, and if the opposition are on it and you make a mistake it leads to conceded chances. But is it idiotic?

Perhaps at Championship level, we wont be punished ( as we were last season doing a very similar thing ) as we should, but I still feel it is a risky game plan. At least during the final half hour the goalie did clear our half of the pitch with his clearances.