Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

How are we getting on, compared to previous Championship winners.

I'm sad enough to have gone through our remaining fixtures. I have predicted 22 more wins, 9 draws and 4 defeats. That would give us 75 more points and have us finishing with 105 points! That would be remarkable if it happened. Typically 90 points is the target for automatic promotion so using that as a yard stick we could afford to drop more points. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I'm sad enough to have gone through our remaining fixtures. I have predicted 22 more wins, 9 draws and 4 defeats. That would give us 75 more points and have us finishing with 105 points! That would be remarkable if it happened. Typically 90 points is the target for automatic promotion so using that as a yard stick we could afford to drop more points. 

I would be surprised if we only have a 66% win rate for the rest of the season. Having seen us so far I think we will win 4 games in 5 for the rest of the season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

I would be surprised if we only have a 66% win rate for the rest of the season. Having seen us so far I think we will win 4 games in 5 for the rest of the season.

We still have to play Leeds twice, Sunderland twice, Middlesbrough twice, Ipswich twice and West Brom. I think our next 5 games will tell us a lot. We have Sunderland, Leeds and Middlesbrough in those five. 4 wins out 5 for the rest of the season would have us finishing on a minimum points tally of 114! That would be absolutely remarkable. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

We still have to play Leeds twice, Sunderland twice, Middlesbrough twice, Ipswich twice and West Brom. I think our next 5 games will tell us a lot. We have Sunderland, Leeds and Middlesbrough in those five. 4 wins out 5 for the rest of the season would have us finishing on a minimum points tally of 114! That would be absolutely remarkable. 

Having watched Sunderland and Middlesborough, if we're at our best I really don't think we have a great deal to worry about. Obviously off nights, injuries, tiredness can all have an effect. As far as I can see though, there's not one team that comes close to matching us though. In terms of squad and manager, the combination is the best that this league will likely ever see.

I really do hope we go and set new records across the board, we really have the capability of doing so. I have every faith that Enzo won't let standards slip and will take things on a game by game basis. If he does that and the players respond, when we come to look back on the season at the end, the result could be sensational.

Take Mads, Ricardo, Winks, Jannick, KDH, Mavidi out the side long term and we may start to struggle :D

• Like 1

I always have the quite simplistic measure of 2 points per game for promotion. That gives 92 points, which would almost certainly be enough. It’s the equivalent of going win/draw/win/draw for a full season.

Around 1.6 points per game would almost certainly guarantee a playoff spot at 74 points

One point a game is pretty close to staying up at 46 points. It’s usually enough, but might be touch and go

Our good form, to date, means that we don’t have to hit 2 points a game anymore. The number is now 1.8 points per game. If it gets as low as 1.5 I will start to think we’ve cracked it. That would be the equivalent of win/loss/win/loss for the remaining games.

If it gets down to 1 point a game – we’re on the beach!

12 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I guess you are looking at things through a different lens. Personally I dont see the likes of Sunderland, Middlesbrough and West Brom as strong competition. Sunderland just lost 4-0 at home to Middlesbrough, we should easily be able to pick them apart.

1 minute ago, honeybradger said:

I guess you are looking at things through a different lens. Personally I dont see the likes of Sunderland, Middlesbrough and West Brom as strong competition. Sunderland just lost 4-0 at home to Middlesbrough, we should easily be able to pick them apart.

The red card played a huge part in that to be fair. They look a good side at this level. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

In a way, I sort of feel for the rest of the league. We're occupying a spot that we really shouldn't. The squad we have is too good for this league and would beat 3-4 of the top flight. 

To good for this league yes but certainly not a guaranteed to survive in the prem, the gap between the two leagues is massive it’s getting bigger, I personally think we would be in a relegation battle with our current squad, let’s not get ahead of our selves we are top the championship (a poor league) and that’s all we’re we  need to be at the minute.

Edited by Joe90lcfc
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Having watched Sunderland and Middlesborough, if we're at our best I really don't think we have a great deal to worry about. Obviously off nights, injuries, tiredness can all have an effect. As far as I can see though, there's not one team that comes close to matching us though. In terms of squad and manager, the combination is the best that this league will likely ever see.

I really do hope we go and set new records across the board, we really have the capability of doing so. I have every faith that Enzo won't let standards slip and will take things on a game by game basis. If he does that and the players respond, when we come to look back on the season at the end, the result could be sensational.

Take Mads, Ricardo, Winks, Jannick, KDH, Mavidi out the side long term and we may start to struggle :D

Main threats are injuries  complacency and self inflicted errors.  Watching Brighton and Liverpool yesterday two goals resulted in howlers attempting to play out via the Goalie , something we have already experienced.

1 hour ago, Langley said:

If we end up with 45 wins and one loss i'm going to be so pissed off about that. lol

Bloody Hull.

We won't. We will lose again, that's how it goes.

At the minute, mind, we look like the best team in this league for a long time. Perhpas since Reading and I'm being serious.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FoxinNotts said:

All this talk of promotion....surely the title has to be the aim?!

Another piece of silverware, another league title.

Almost worth a seasons 'holiday' in the Championship, if you can win the thing.

I'm not usually one of these that say you need to go down to rebuild back up but it's definitely working at the moment. 

The first few games especially we'd have paid a heavy price for the mistakes we were making but we've had a bit of good fortune and when we get it right we look a very very good side now. 

Okay may be getting carried away as the last few teams we've played have been dross but it's part of a football fan to dream that we're going to win the league this year and push for Europe next.

9 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

In a way, I sort of feel for the rest of the league. We're occupying a spot that we really shouldn't. The squad we have is too good for this league and would beat 3-4 of the top flight. 

It's actually really shit for someone like a Sunderland or a Middlesbrough who you would expect to be on the cusp that we dropped in. We always had the possibility of doing this.

If us and Ipswich keep this up this could be as boring a Championship you'll see as a neutral.

On 09/10/2023 at 16:16, Fox92 said:

We won't. We will lose again, that's how it goes.

At the minute, mind, we look like the best team in this league for a long time. Perhpas since Reading and I'm being serious.

Surely you can't be serious :teehee:

- don't call me Shirley

Leeds are the team that worry me the most from the teams currently chasing the top two. They haven't been that consistent yet but I think they are capable of stringing a 9/10 game winning run. When Farke was Norwich manager during the twi seasons where they won the championship they went on some serious winning runs. In my opinion he has a better squad now than he did on either of those occasions. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Leeds are the team that worry me the most from the teams currently chasing the top two. They haven't been that consistent yet but I think they are capable of stringing a 9/10 game winning run. When Farke was Norwich manager during the twi seasons where they won the championship they went on some serious winning runs. In my opinion he has a better squad now than he did on either of those occasions. 

Their movement up the table masks the fact that in the last 5 games we've increased the gap between us by another 4 points. Moving up the table doesn't mean you're catching the leaders. They'd have to be near perfect to catch us if we keep improving.