Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fightforever

Who do you want for next season in the PL

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

IMO we have a glaring creativity hole in the side and have done since Maddison left.

So i've been doing some digging into stats and have found this lad. Ilan Kebbal of Paris FC. Would be very much a Mahrez-type signing in that he's not really ever done much but his last season for Paris FC was pretty incredible. 20 odd goal contributions and ranks in the 99th percentile of midfielders under 25 in progressive carries and key passes. Clearly a Maddison type player that likes to get on the ball and make things happen. The jump from Ligue 2 to Premier League might be a bit too big one one to watch. Can also play off the right.

He also made the 23/24 Ligue 2 team of the season. 

While you’re looking at France, take a look at Kamory Doumbia of Reims(On loan at Brest last season) 👍🏻

When our we going to sign some players that will actually keep us in the EPL this year . We have gone from trying to get souls , oreilly, to players who would struggle in the 1st division. And again the window is closing and the same old story can’t get anything over the line 

8 hours ago, Bptiger said:

When our we going to sign some players that will actually keep us in the EPL this year . We have gone from trying to get souls , oreilly, to players who would struggle in the 1st division. And again the window is closing and the same old story can’t get anything over the line 

Not saying I totally disagree, but you have framed this so two unknowns in this division would save us, but two who did well last season in this division, would not. Why? Age bias? Not being fashionable signings?  

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Not saying I totally disagree, but you have framed this so two unknowns in this division would save us, but two who did well last season in this division, would not. Why? Age bias? Not being fashionable signings?  

I’m happy to be accused of age bias if my worry of us adding squad fillers for players over 30 is our current business model.

Our recent history alarmingly suggests that we 1) overpay on wages and 2) have a very below average DoF (solely if rating his connections/ability at moving players on).

As a few have said, Reid and Ayew are not the star men at their clubs and play a role as workmen back up to the more talented ones….we lost our most valuable player based on last seasons numbers in KDH so it’s more than rational to consider the links to players like Ayew underwhelming.

1 minute ago, SafewayFox said:

I’m happy to be accused of age bias if my worry of us adding squad fillers for players over 30 is our current business model.

Our recent history alarmingly suggests that we 1) overpay on wages and 2) have a very below average DoF (solely if rating his connections/ability at moving players on).

As a few have said, Reid and Ayew are not the star men at their clubs and play a role as workmen back up to the more talented ones….we lost our most valuable player based on last seasons numbers in KDH so it’s more than rational to consider the links to players like Ayew underwhelming.

You side stepped the main question, but fine. I did not want these two either, but to suggest Soule or O’Reilly would be better in this league is guesswork, although they would both surely be better in terms of resale value undoubtedly. We also need to accept that star men from existing PL clubs are not going to want to join us unless they are surplus or offered silly wages (The Leicester modus operandi). As much as I would like to see us fill up with worldwide hot prospects, do we honestly think this provides a better chance of staying up? (Or does it just pass the eye test much easier?)

Would rather fill up with prospects, train them, get relegated, come back up stronger.

We see to be filling with experience in an attempt to not get relegated which from a financial perspective I understand, despite its tedious nature.

I’m hoping for more focussed signings that will improve the starting 11 not just good squad players. Central attacking midfielders such as Sara and young Jordan James ideally both. A striker if he is an upgrade on what we have.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

You side stepped the main question, but fine. I did not want these two either, but to suggest Soule or O’Reilly would be better in this league is guesswork, although they would both surely be better in terms of resale value undoubtedly. We also need to accept that star men from existing PL clubs are not going to want to join us unless they are surplus or offered silly wages (The Leicester modus operandi). As much as I would like to see us fill up with worldwide hot prospects, do we honestly think this provides a better chance of staying up? (Or does it just pass the eye test much easier?)

Would rather fill up with prospects, train them, get relegated, come back up stronger.

We see to be filling with experience in an attempt to not get relegated which from a financial perspective I understand, despite its tedious nature.

Ok, I’ll try not sidestepping the main question.

So let’s do a very basic deep dive on Palace - their star players = Eze and Olise who were both young, exciting players from the Championship who had zero PL experience.

Ayew was never signed with the intention of being their focal point.

This signing (if happens) gives me Gillespie/Howey vibes from 2003 - that’s an extremely depressing thought.

7 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

Ok, I’ll try not sidestepping the main question.

So let’s do a very basic deep dive on Palace - their star players = Eze and Olise who were both young, exciting players from the Championship who had zero PL experience.

Ayew was never signed with the intention of being their focal point.

This signing (if happens) gives me Gillespie/Howey vibes from 2003 - that’s an extremely depressing thought.

So this suggests you feel that Soulé and O'Reilly would be more beneficial for the team next season then BDCR and Ayew? Using your Eze/Olise as samples.

Realise I am being a contrarian but that is just my way. 

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

So this suggests you feel that Soulé and O'Reilly would be more beneficial for the team next season then BDCR and Ayew? Using your Eze/Olise as samples.

Realise I am being a contrarian but that is just my way. 

I think they have the ability to change matches individually a lot more than Ayew next season but also in future seasons too.

I know you’re a good poster and appreciate the differing views just can’t get excited for this type of signing when we’ve already filled the experienced quota in Reid (could argue extending Vesty and Wilf too).

24 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

I think they have the ability to change matches individually a lot more than Ayew next season but also in future seasons too.

I know you’re a good poster and appreciate the differing views just can’t get excited for this type of signing when we’ve already filled the experienced quota in Reid (could argue extending Vesty and Wilf too).

To be honest, this is a good exchange, as it gives me a chance to say its too easy to look at the unknown and see an answer to our problems, whilst at the same time to dismiss those we see as not exciting or have little resale value. (Its about entertainment to a degree so this is certainly fair)

However, these old boys are very well regarded by fans at their previous clubs, and they offer a level of fight we may well need, so will not dismiss them for that alone.

Yes, they have no resale value, yes they are boring signings, yes they will be on higher wages than an unknown prospect, but do they offer a better chance of staying up?

I think probably just about yes.

lol However I would rather buy loads of prospects and take the risk of an embarrassing relegation  lol

But its not my business is it? So I guess I am trying to communicate is that  I can easily see this being a choice by the club as a best chance of staying up approach.

Edited by Dahnsouff

I think bar one midfield position this team is already as strong as it's going to get.

We've got dodecahedron to cover the front line. He could be our 10 and winger. We're clearly after one midfielder but after that I wouldn't expect anyone better than we've already got. 

We might get a striker in but will they be any better than daka?

1 minute ago, FosseSpark said:

GK: Hermansen, Stola (inj), Iversen, Ward 

FB: Kristansen, Justin, Ricardo, Thomas, Cover 

CB: Coady, Faes, Vestergaard, OkoliSouttar, Nelson

CDM: Ndidi, Winks, Choudhury, Soumare, Braybrooke

ACM; Golding, Alves

Wingers: Decordova-Reid, Fatawu, Mavididi

Strikers: Vardy, Cannon, Daka

Currently we are 1 quality player short in every position. It's because we are stringing out the punishment process with legal challenge to points deduction and it's  hamstringing (let's call it Seagraving) our potential to sign players. 

I'd like 

Ward, Souttar, Thomas, Choudhury, Daka - OUT

I'd like

Sara, Nelson, a full back and striker - IN

Good description of where we’re at.

You’d like to keep Bouba though mate?

31 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

I think bar one midfield position this team is already as strong as it's going to get.

We've got dodecahedron to cover the front line. He could be our 10 and winger. We're clearly after one midfielder but after that I wouldn't expect anyone better than we've already got. 

We might get a striker in but will they be any better than daka?

:fishing:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SafewayFox said:

Good description of where we’re at.

You’d like to keep Bouba though mate?

If he were magically swapped for Hatate or this lad from France that has been mentioned then no. But if it's the choice of him or nothing then he can sit on the bench. 

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

To be honest, this is a good exchange, as it gives me a chance to say its too easy to look at the unknown and see an answer to our problems, whilst at the same time to dismiss those we see as not exciting or have little resale value. (Its about entertainment to a degree so this is certainly fair)

However, these old boys are very well regarded by fans at their previous clubs, and they offer a level of fight we may well need, so will not dismiss them for that alone.

Yes, they have no resale value, yes they are boring signings, yes they will be on higher wages than an unknown prospect, but do they offer a better chance of staying up?

I think probably just about yes.

lol However I would rather buy loads of prospects and take the risk of an embarrassing relegation  lol

But its not my business is it? So I guess I am trying to communicate is that  I can easily see this being a choice by the club as a best chance of staying up approach.

A good exchange indeed.

I just can’t see any upside to players who are merely expensive albeit experienced squad fillers.

We have been lumbered with exactly that for too long now.

I harp on to my Palace example - Ayew leaving them whilst their fans appreciate him (sounds eerily like our sentiments for Sharky) I’m sure their team performances/final position in the league won’t be decided by it.

Without being too dramatic (blame the failed journalist in me) our signings this window NEED to influence our final position and feels like Cooper is making the opposite signings to what Enzo would have made which is another scary thought process.

I know he's 31 and getting on a bit, but even for a year if we had any chance of signing Fullkrug I'd be all over it. 

West Ham latest to be linked. And he probably wouldn't want to drop down to us. But he's better than anything we have right now. 

• Like 2

Perhaps not for this season as it's yet another centre back, but could be one for the future is Jorne Spileers of Club Brugge. 

19 year old, played a good amount of games in their successful 23/24 season, excellent passing numbers from the back, comfortable breaking the lines, good in the challenge and overall good decision making. 

And he's belgian :ph34r:

32 minutes ago, FosseSpark said:

ACM; Golding, Alves

Currently we are 1 quality player short in every position. It's because we are stringing out the punishment process with legal challenge to points deduction and it's  hamstringing (let's call it Seagraving) our potential to sign players. 

I'd like 

I'd like

Bin off Soumare for a more energetic CM is the only thing I’d add to that.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, FosseSpark said:

ACM; Golding, Alves

I'd like 

I'd like

I'd say we're two short in attacking central midfield. Agree on everything else, though - including your point that the looming points deduction is probably severely hampering us in the transfer market.

Edited by ClaphamFox

Whilst I agree about who we should be moving on and who we should be getting in position-wise, it's just never gonna happen! Everyone bar Daka we'd struggle to get any kind of fee for, basically all loans and so no fees means we can't fund those 4 additions.

Realistically I see maybe a couple moving on, Souttar, maybe Thomas and then a couple of additions max! All this clamour for a striker is for the birds when we currently have 3, saw the struggles last year of having 4, its impossible to give them all game-time and consistency.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TheGoldenGod said:

All this clamour for a striker is for the birds when we currently have 3, saw the struggles last year of having 4, its impossible to give them all game-time and consistency.

Cannon will surely go out on loan. If we don’t get in a first choice striker then we are idiots.