Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

January Transfer Window 2024

1 hour ago, Sankey93 said:

Kwame Poku - decent stats this season for Peterborough young and can play both wing and the cam role! 

Yes he looked really decent the other day, mind you they were only playing Derby.

In all fairness Peterboro were excellent, played really good football

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KFS said:

The worrying thing is we’ve heard this under two managers now. I’m not expecting us to splurge hundreds of millions while in the Champ, but a decent 8 who has potential to play in the Prem you’d expect to get at 10m. If we can’t do that, how fooked are we?

Rodgers used this line as his excuse. Enzo doesn’t strike me as like that but you have to worry it’s board level if two managers with very different approaches are trotting it out. 

Listening to the presser it sounded like enzo was on strict instructions to play down everything and say as little as possible - given our position the club must know that other clubs are already going to add a premium on any possible sales, we don't need to make it any worse by appearing to be ready to spend freely.

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

You say that but we were busy turning down £4m for Iversen last summer knowing fine well he was 3rd or 4th choice and only in the 25 man squad to make up the numbers. We still make some strange decisions on our attempts to sell players.

According to the daily mail :rolleyes: we don't know what went on with that last year, it's not like we balked on prices for the other players we sold.  If the offer came (at all) before we signed mads, then Iversen may well have still been considered our number 1 at the time?

8 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

According to the daily mail :rolleyes: we don't know what went on with that last year, it's not like we balked on prices for the other players we sold.  If the offer came (at all) before we signed mads, then Iversen may well have still been considered our number 1 at the time?

Agree, think this is BS. 

1 hour ago, Lillehamring said:

No doubt you'd have dismissed the reported rejected bids the summer before for the likes of Castagne and Soumare too. We've a history of doing it.

The asking prices we set for players we don't want or who want out has often been out of kilter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

No doubt you'd have dismissed the reported rejected bids the summer before for the likes of Castagne and Soumare too. We've a history of doing it.

The asking prices we set for players we don't want or who want out has often been out of kilter.

i don't think it's a case of dismissing it - merely taking anything in the press about transfers and valuations with a pinch of salt.

I'm tired of hearing things like 'leicester have set a value of N on player X' and then quoting some random figure.  The amount of times you read of bids being made and then nothing ever happening, it's just click bait - if every 'offer' that was reported was real, we'd have bought and sold twenty players every season!

We've no idea what offers the club received or what we expected - you should know better than to get caught up in this sort of baseless speculation.

• Like 3

The stance the club is taking makes complete sense, we currently have a full squad and that includes some very high earners. Remember this is a business that needs to be sustainable and also has some pretty strict FFP regulations that we have to be compliant with, therefore, and quite rightly so , the club cannot just go out and sign 3 new players. We will need to move players on to create space and budget for the remainder of ‘this season. We have hit our ceiling in what we can do, our only hope is to move on fringe players on loan or hope we get an offer for one of our fast approaching out of contract players, similar to Perez last January, which would free up squad space and budget to bring players in. 

come the summer the landscape will significantly improve as some very very high earners will be out of contract and highly likely, with the exception of Wilf and possibly Jannick, they will move on, creating lots of opportunities to bring in younger, hungry players on lower wages and allow us to be more creative in the transfer market again. 

The main challenge of the summer will be to get our incomings in ready for pre-season so they have the opportunity to work with Enzo and his coaching staff for the entire pre-season  which will help with the transition to our style and team structure. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Castagne we did sell of course, Soumare was a total cluster****. From what I read, we did accept a bid for him from Monaco but Rodgers changed his mind when he saw we weren’t getting more players in due to FFP so kept him. Remember Vestergaard also rejected a move even though a deal was agreed. 

Not defending the operations generally as they became complacent thinking they couldn’t do better than BR. But credit is due in what they’ve done this season and lessons have been learned, like getting the Maddison sale done early, so have more confidence now. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

No better way to increase the transfer fee than to say he has an attitude problem!

And yet they'll still probably get £10-15m for him whilst we're busy pissing Enzo off saying we have to sell players but won't budge.

10 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Can only sell players who a) want to be sold and b) people want to buy c) also the impact of the selling on FFP in our account.

People will say why aren't we selling Soumare and Kristiansen on the cheap to get rid of them.

Well that's were C comes in!

Soumare was brought for 17m on a 5 year contract which has 3 years left. So he has a remain value of £10.2m in our accounts 

If we sell him for 5m for example, that is then recorded as a loss in this year accounts of 5.2m (Book value - Sell price)

Same with Kristiansen brought for 17m (depending on source) on a 5.5 year contract, he has a 4.5 years left which mean he has a a book value of 13m. 

Selling for anything less then the book value results in a loss in the accounts.

Not a chance we sell them at much less then what they are valued at in the books when we have to met Championship P & L of 15m.

Thanks for your logical and well-thought out response, much needed! 

This transfer window has all the hallmarks of when we didn't invest in January and it cost us a Champions League place. I'm not saying we haven't a squad good enough to gain promotion, but a couple of quality signings would ensure we are still heading in an upward trajectory over the last 20 games. I appreciate January can be a difficult window to do business in and by our own poor financial mismanagement we may struggle to do any business, but I'd have hoped we would have learnt the lessons from previous short comings to ensure the same didn't happen again.

• Haha 1

Explanation on players value on books v helpful - basically shows that unless we can get fees which all but net out for those on decent length contracts we’ll need to sell academy products or try and get some money for those towards end of contracts, neither very likely. With 4 loans already through the door that means no more than 1 loan signing at all likely this month. Wilfs injury (crazy PPG when he starts) prob means we’d sacrifice another left hand side defender for midfield cover, especially if Thomas comes back. Strange but feels like a bit of a downer even though so much positivity so far this season. 

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Can only sell players who a) want to be sold and b) people want to buy c) also the impact of the selling on FFP in our account.

People will say why aren't we selling Soumare and Kristiansen on the cheap to get rid of them.

Soumare was brought for 17m on a 5 year contract which has 3 years left. So he has a remain value of £10.2m in our accounts 

If we sell him for 5m for example, that is then recorded as a loss in this year accounts of 5.2m (Book value - Sell price)

Same with Kristiansen brought for 17m (depending on source) on a 5.5 year contract, he has a 4.5 years left which mean he has a a book value of 13m. 

Selling for anything less then the book value results in a loss in the accounts.

Not a chance we sell them at much less then what they are valued at in the books when we have to met Championship P & L of 15m.

Great explanation.

For me, I think it would be logical to cash in on someone like McAteer if there is genuine interest.

He's done well this season, but I don't see anything about him that makes me think he'd do well in the premier league. Selling him at a profit and say Soumare at a loss could balance that one out as an example maybe?

Surely with loans though, if we're loaning someone out, as long as the wages are similar and any agreed fees, we can bring one in? We've rid a keeper so could that open a place for an attacking player?, 

3 hours ago, MGLCFC said:

This transfer window has all the hallmarks of when we didn't invest in January and it cost us a Champions League place. I'm not saying we haven't a squad good enough to gain promotion, but a couple of quality signings would ensure we are still heading in an upward trajectory over the last 20 games. I appreciate January can be a difficult window to do business in and by our own poor financial mismanagement we may struggle to do any business, but I'd have hoped we would have learnt the lessons from previous short comings to ensure the same didn't happen again.

:source:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Simonb said:

Great explanation.

For me, I think it would be logical to cash in on someone like McAteer if there is genuine interest.

He's done well this season, but I don't see anything about him that makes me think he'd do well in the premier league. Selling him at a profit and say Soumare at a loss could balance that one out as an example maybe?

Surely with loans though, if we're loaning someone out, as long as the wages are similar and any agreed fees, we can bring one in? We've rid a keeper so could that open a place for an attacking player?, 

Trouble with that is our only other options in that position are fatawu and yunus - until we know what's happening with them, we can't afford to sell mcateer

4 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

We had a bid for Soumare that was more than his book value (£15m) in the summer of 2022 if numerous reports are to be believed.

But I understand the difficulty they are in, but others seem to be better at doing it than we are. I provided a detailed list of PL clubs who sold unwanted players in the last 4 seasons and we were without doubt the worst.

6 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I suspect the owners will think that promotion is likely in the bag and will be very reluctant to spend more at this stage. I’d be surprised if there’s much incoming.

1 central midfielder in is about all we need, if that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

1 central midfielder in is about all we need, if that.

I think with having a sick note squatter (Praet) and a long term absentee in Wilf, let lone the slight discomfort of being reliant on Winks, another body of some quality in the middle would be prudent. Admittedly, today has alleviated some of the concerns as Cesare looked more than decent today, even if he has a similar turning circle to Jannik.

• Like 1