Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

January Transfer Window 2024

8 hours ago, ithuriel said:

Personally just get the feeling the club higher ups are sitting on their arses due to us being top and a few wins clear, not wanting to splash any cash unless they absolutely have to.

Come the end of the season, if we do go up, it will be interesting to see how much is spent because the current defence will leak goals like a sieve and the strike force is not currently equipped to bail us out.

My big concern is this was the exact same attitude last season "we are too good to go down, we will be fine". You have to continue to invest. Ndidi is out, Fatawa now out, unforunately we don't have the depth in those key positions.

8 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Still feel we are very much an 8 and winger light.

Both positions that if we strengthen we break the points record and absolutely zero chance we don't get automatic promotion.

It appears highly unlikely we'll bring anyone in though.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, ithuriel said:

Personally just get the feeling the club higher ups are sitting on their arses due to us being top and a few wins clear, not wanting to splash any cash unless they absolutely have to.

Come the end of the season, if we do go up, it will be interesting to see how much is spent because the current defence will leak goals like a sieve and the strike force is not currently equipped to bail us out.

It’s not like we’ve been here before either 🤦🏼‍♂️ champions league in the bag…. Minimal investment (fvcked it) to good to go down… minimal investment (fvcked it) let’s hope we don’t somehow manage to self destruct after again feeling like the job is done higher up (I don’t think we will like)

Then comes the issue next season where we’ve potentially pissed the league and once again the powers that be feel only the minimal is required when it comes to strengthening the team off the back of an impressive season… especially considering we’ve already committed to near on 25/30m after promotion with the obligation to sign Yunus and Fatawu upon promotion! With no real sellable assets to bring in the usual spends and Wilf, Kelechi, Vestergaard, Praet, Albrighton and Vards needing replaced it’s slightly concerning…. But that’s next seasons problem onto pissing the league  lol :scarf:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Both positions that if we strengthen we break the points record and absolutely zero chance we don't get automatic promotion.

I do fancy us to get one loan in. But there’s no chance we get rid of who we want in this window. Still think this squad is good enough to ease its way out of the league. The weekend was a freak incident of our own making. 

On 13/01/2024 at 17:18, Bordersfox said:

Watched the game, their best player by a country mile today was Edwards.  Fast, physical and cultured on the ball.  

EMC was a handful but for some reason I'm not convinced he's much more than a good championship winger.  I may be proven wrong.

Edwards is very highly thought of

Unfortunately a bit irrelevant at present with FFP ruling the roost ( quite correctly ) 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ramadaone said:

Edwards is very highly thought of

Unfortunately a bit irrelevant at present with FFP ruling the roost ( quite correctly ) 

Heard any rumblings of anything happening this window @ramadaone ? Agree it makes sense to be careful with FFP...but I also have a nagging doubt that if we don't strengthen a little, we'll **** it up somehow 😅

6 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

Heard any rumblings of anything happening this window @ramadaone ? Agree it makes sense to be careful with FFP...but I also have a nagging doubt that if we don't strengthen a little, we'll **** it up somehow 😅

We need to ship more out before we’ll bring anyone in.

We’ll most likely see more activity in the summer. 

1 hour ago, Sly said:

We need to ship more out before we’ll bring anyone in.

We’ll most likely see more activity in the summer. 

Oh for sure. I just don't know that we can ship any more out this window. Quite a few out of contract this summer too.

7 hours ago, CloudFox said:

Oh for sure. I just don't know that we can ship any more out this window. Quite a few out of contract this summer too.

Some potential interest in our players

Ward - Sheffield United

Soumare - Napoli

Souttar - Al Nassr

Smithies - Notts County, Huddlesfield

Praet - Royal Antwerp

Iheanacho - Brentford, Palace, Villa, West Ham

14 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

If we bring players I'm not sure we'll see Braybrrok or Alves, it seems difficult to get a place in the squad.

7 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Half way through, barely any progress. 

I think all the stuff with FFP kicking off has put off a lot of clubs from doing any serious January business

I know the Jan window can usually be quiet anyway but it seems even more so this year

Just 4 first team signings in the Prem and 15 in the Championship

I expect most teams including ourselves will wait until very late in the window do anything if at all

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I think all the stuff with FFP kicking off has put off a lot of clubs from doing any serious January business

I know the Jan window can usually be quiet anyway but it seems even more so this year

Just 4 first team signings in the Prem and 15 in the Championship

I expect most teams including ourselves will wait until very late in the window do anything if at all

Looks that way.

With the number of clubs reported to be in trouble, wouldn't shock me many are parking any major strengthening plans.

4 hours ago, Sly said:

Some potential interest in our players

Ward - Sheffield United

Soumare - Napoli

Souttar - Al Nassr

Smithies - Notts County, Huddlesfield

Praet - Royal Antwerp

Iheanacho - Brentford, Palace, Villa, West Ham

Great summary, cheers @Sly! The only one I hadn't seen there was Smithies. Will have to look into that.

If even a couple of those came off it would be fantastic. I'm just increasingly feeling that a lot of it is just smoke.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, messerschmitt said:

If we bring players I'm not sure we'll see Braybrrok or Alves, it seems difficult to get a place in the squad.

To be honest, I'm not sure we will anyway. Alves was training with the first team, but then got injured again (to be expected), and we need to be careful with him. As @Ric Flair noted a few weeks ago, Enzo didn't even seem to know who Braybrooke was either.

I'd love to see one or both of them play, but at best we'll see Alves end of the season I reckon. Ship has sailed a bit on seeing them this season I fear.

• Like 1

DOn't think we should get too carried away with being light or short on quality during Jan/Feb.

For the Ipswich game (assuming Vardy now training & fit) we have 12 players who are fit to compete for the 5 more attacking positions in the team: Two 8's, LW, RW, Striker.

Mavididi (9 goals, lots of assists)

McAteer (5 goals)

Albrighton (recent assist as sub)

Yunus (recent assist in big win)

Casadei (recent headed goals and assists)

KDH (one of divisions top goal scorers/assistors)

Praet (international quality to bring off the bench)

Alves (unknown x Factor to bed in to the team).

Cannon (3 goals in last 3) 

Vardy (legend)

Wanya Marcal - hasn't pulled up any trees but can certainly do a job on the right or left

Maswanhise - untested but clearly rated above average by the 1st team coaches.

We then have Iheanacho, Daka, Fatawu coming back which means we have 3 whole sets of 5 players we could play for any given game.

It's super strong when you consider we also have competition at left back/right back/centre back. 

Goalie and Winks are the only positions we don't have adequate cover for.

• Like 2

It'll be a crackers deadline day for all clubs in the top two divs I reckon, especially waiting for some AFCON/Asia Cup returners who might need to have medicals etc.

• Like 1

On 14/01/2024 at 10:46, ithuriel said:

I still don't believe anything has really changed here bar the manager. They were complacent while we hurtled towards this league so I can't imagine them having much desire right now. I'd imagine Sensi is very much Maresca's push.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I still don't believe anything has really changed here bar the manager. They were complacent while we hurtled towards this league so I can't imagine them having much desire right now. I'd imagine Sensi is very much Maresca's push.

I can see us paying an OTT loan to get him for the rest of the season why his contract runs down

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CloudFox said:

As others have mentioned the Forest & Everton news has probably reinforced how seriously FFP needs to be taken and so doubt very much any notable business will take place this window.

Some very informative posts on here about why players contracts may be allowed to run down and other things FFP related which people should read if they can. Much bigger picture than simply buying and selling players now days which is arguably for the best ?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Stadt said:

I can see us paying an OTT loan to get him for the rest of the season why his contract runs down

Exactly what I think. We seem to quite consistently come out on the slightly wrong side of these negotiations. Inter see Sensi as their Praet, a player they just want rid of now, yet flip the situation around you don't see anyone doing that to get him. I don't think any particular deal is a disaster (well...) but it's the consistent marginal losses and they add up over time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Exactly what I think. We seem to quite consistently come out on the slightly wrong side of these negotiations. Inter see Sensi as their Praet, a player they just want rid of now, yet flip the situation around you don't see anyone doing that to get him. I don't think any particular deal is a disaster (well...) but it's the consistent marginal losses and they add up over time.

The difference is that Praet is frankly not very good whereas Sensi by all accounts is a very good player when fit. 

10 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

The difference is that Praet is frankly not very good whereas Sensi by all accounts is a very good player when fit. 

Torino have wanted him but just enough to cough up the money. We've got to learn when to cut our losses because our refusal to is costing us both money and space in our squad. What have we gained by having Praet here in the last two and a half years?

1 minute ago, Dan LCFC said:

Torino have wanted him but just enough to cough up the money. We've got to learn when to cut our losses because our refusal to is costing us both money and space in our squad. What have we gained by having Praet here in the last two and a half years?

Hope. Every time he is injured, he enters that phase in most fans mind when the player is missing - 'he is the solution to our issues'.  The longer he is out, the more the brain fog sets in and fans forget that he could really give 2 shits about being here. When Praet comes back, we have a skillful,  technical and creative player. One of his favourite things to do is get an assist just before getting injured. That really messes up our minds! 

• Like 1