Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

Dilemma about us

6 hours ago, Collymore said:

Anyone thinking we'd cut it in the Premier League at the moment is delusional. We would be rock bottom or there abouts. 

We'll need to spend about £250m to get back to that to that top 10 side again challenging for Europe. 

This take is just as ridiculous as arguing that our current squad would finish top six in the PL. We shouldn’t have been anywhere near the relegation zone last year and have retained a large number of PL-standard players, in addition to acquiring a couple of new ones. This squad would survive comfortably, probably just below mid-table. If we get promoted and invest wisely next summer, we can aim to finish in the top half of the PL next season. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Parafox said:

Just a thought that has been nagging at me in the last couple of weeks and the way we have started and are continuing to get results.

Are we going to be a great team in the championship only to become a poor team in the Premier League?

As someone said in the the match thread, we seem to fit somewhere between the two.

I hope we're not going to be that yo-yo team once again.

Who cares!!! It’s a unique human disposition to somehow snatch disappointment and foreboding in times of happiness. I am still jubilant from the absolutely devastating nature of the second half yday, and pumped to go smash another team up on Saturday. Enjoy the ride for now, leave the anxiety for next year 

Just a thought that has been nagging at me in the last couple of weeks and the way we have started and are continuing to get results.

Are we going to be a great team in the championship only to become a poor team in the Premier League?

As someone said in the the match thread, we seem to fit somewhere between the two.

Thinking far to far ahead. Enjoy now

7 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

It's easy..Enjoy & embrace this season!?

Too many on FT here,prefer to read first the Epilog.. They will never know or understand about how to enjoy the now!!

Exactly!!! I know it’s a human trait to unnecessarily stress and worry, when actually about 95% of life is just chance and luck, but this is another level. Hope you are well @fuchsntf

I think this team stays up last season.

Also, another question to ponder.

Once the January transfer window is upon us. If you’re a player looking at options for a move.

Do you join a Luton, Burnley, Sheffield United, Everton etc, or would you rather opt for a Leicester? 

3 minutes ago, Sly said:

I think this team stays up last season.

Also, another question to ponder.

Once the January transfer window is upon us. If you’re a player looking at options for a move.

Do you join a Luton, Burnley, Sheffield United, Everton etc, or would you rather opt for a Leicester? 

If Hamer hadn’t left Cov in the summer but was looking at his options in January, do you think he’d still choose Sheff Utd over us? Not a chance. 

Without knowing the level of investment the club is planning for the summer and what players will come and go there is no way of knowing.

38 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

This take is just as ridiculous as arguing that our current squad would finish top six in the PL. We shouldn’t have been anywhere near the relegation zone last year and have retained a large number of PL-standard players, in addition to acquiring a couple of new ones. This squad would survive comfortably, probably just below mid-table. If we get promoted and invest wisely next summer, we can aim to finish in the top half of the PL next season. 

I find it ridiculous that you like so many others are blinded by results and can't see just how big the gulf is. It's absolutely massive.

At this moment in time players like Winks and KDH are probably average premier league players. Our pairing of Faes and Vesty we know can't handle that league. We have some exciting wingers at this level but I don't think they're ready for the Premier League yet. You then go on and talk about what I said anywhere, the investment next summer. It'll need to big though IMO. 

I'm enjoying it at the moment though. 

5 minutes ago, Collymore said:

I find it ridiculous that you like so many others are blinded by results and can't see just how big the gulf is. It's absolutely massive.

At this moment in time players like Winks and KDH are probably average premier league players. Our pairing of Faes and Vesty we know can't handle that league. We have some exciting wingers at this level but I don't think they're ready for the Premier League yet. You then go on and talk about what I said anywhere, the investment next summer. It'll need to big though IMO. 

I'm enjoying it at the moment though. 

Investment is needed but you suggested £250M  earlier in the thread. That's a crazy figure to suggest.

Absolutely there's a gulf between the Prem and Champ. We've seen it this season with the finishing alone. That bottom 5 of the Prem is shite though. With the right investment, this team will stay up.  

People are just over reacting to Burnley. 

We aren't them. For a start, our owners didn't suddenly stop being billionaires looking to compete for European spots. Our spending power will be much greater than theirs despite a season in the second tier. 

If we go up, I wouldn't be surprised if our starting lineup next year has five, six, even seven new faces in it. The current squad don't all need to be able to cut it a step above. 

But frankly, though it's early days, I have a quiet feeling Maresca might also be a significantly better coach than Kompany. Definitely think he'll be our first coach in a while (since O'Neill or am I crazy? Gary Megson maybe? Wow that's depressing) to be poached not sacked. 

Last season was an anomaly we shouldn’t have Been relegated, and that was on Rodgers and Top / Rudkin for not sacking him sooner.

Our players are far too good for this level, I would expect us to be back to mid table in the premier league next season.

Just look at the signings we have made already at this level. This is far better than the likes of Luton / Sheffield United / Burnley / Bournemouth.

38 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Yes there is a huge gulf between the Premier League and the Championship, but - and this is a key point - I don't think we have a Championship squad. I agree with the likes of Farke, Tomasson and others when they say we have a PL-quality squad.

Some teams get relegated from the PL because they simply don't have enough quality in their squad. The effort and motivation might be there, but the quality isn't. However, it isn't always like this - sometimes teams with more than enough quality to stay up end up going down because something else has gone horribly wrong that has destroyed the morale of the squad (usually a manager losing the dressing room). Our relegation last year was in the second category, not the first.

Since then we've lost some important players (mainly Maddison and Barnes) but retained many others who are experienced in the PL (KDH, Faes, Ricardo, Justin, Ndidi, Iheanacho, Vardy). Added to which we've bought a couple more experienced PL players in Winks and Coady, and recruited some exciting younger players who might just make the grade. 

This is why I think our squad, as it current stands, is stronger than the bottom 5-6 in the PL. If we get promoted and have aspirations of finishing above mid-table, obviously we'll need to invest. But our starting point will be much stronger than the vast majority of teams that get promoted from the Championship. 

Exactly hit the nail on the head.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Parafox said:

we're going to find out.  The first job is winning the championship - the next task will be adjusting to be  competitive in the epl.    Burney and example of a club who have not rung the changes

Doesn't matter how you play in the Championship. 99.9% of teams will struggle when promoted to the Premier League.

I think in this instance, we win the League, Enzo has the greatest Summer Transfer window in the history of the club and we finish next season somewhere between 11th and 7th. The year after that we do the domestic treble. The year after that we win the Champions League and the Club World Cup.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HarryDee8 said:

Unfortunately these players would be average in the Premier League. We're looking at mid table and below

Striker department is where we need that 15+ premier league goal scorer and we currently don't have one!

We have strikers that can score in the premier league: Iheanacho and Vardy can, if they both hit 10 each that's fine. Hopefully Cannon can step up as well.

I’m enjoying it for what it is, there is logic and a theory that works, in this league, I get it.

Without going full Pep, Rodri or Klopp, teams in this league are gonna come up against us and “not play how we want them to” (Well, duh, isn’t that the idea, to make it hard and frustrate the opponent), sit behind and force us to break them down - we’re doing it incredibly well.

I do have some pretty big concerns if we go up that we’ll play in the same way, a way which we have proven ourselves in the last few years that isn’t positive, exciting or successful - in the Premier League teams are not going to be scared of Leicester City, teams are not going to sit behind the ball - there will be no reason to play in such a way that will only cause problems for ourselves.

For now though, that’s going to the back of my mind and I’m enjoying this season, it’s been too long since I’ve been able to say that!

Edited by Matt

This thinking comes from the idea that Burnley are crap, they're not and will still stay up this season, they've just taken time to find their feet and they've generally had tricky games so far. Their opening 7 games have been Man City, Man Utd, Tottenham, Aston Villa, Newcastle, Forest and Luton. 4 points is a good return and they'll pull away as time goes on and they play more teams around them.

We would be fine but let's get up first.

Edited by Lionator
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Parafox said:

I have no idea how being a great team in the Championship is in conflict with us being a great PL team. If we cannot walk all over the Championship, we don’t stand a chance of being a great PL team.

The way I see it so far is that Enzo is on a long term process of transforming the team. It is still early days. What will be key are:

- Whether Enzo’s tactics can be adaptable enough to be successful in the PL where we won’t have the best players in the division (we just can’t compete with the riches of the top 6). He is unproven in this regard but the signs are good (early days though). If he is someone like Big Ange at Spurs, who has proven to take squads with not so good quality players into playing good attacking football successfully, then we will all be very pleased.

- How the club manages the January window and the next summer when we have again so many players out of contract.

- What the club can bring in in the summer with the modest budget we have (subject to FFP rules).

- How Enzo and the Club can nurture the team spirit we have. In this regard, I really like how he keeps talking about Vardy and last night Albrighton as being important players with past “glories”, promoting Hamza and emphasizing he is from the academy etc.

Edited by Tom12345

3 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Without knowing the level of investment the club is planning for the summer and what players will come and go there is no way of knowing.

Recruitment next summer (if we bounce back) will dictate everything.  Look at what brighton have achieved with excellent recruitment. You don’t have to spend a fortune. 

• Like 3