Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Spudulike

Travel disruption - trains, planes, automobiles and parking

Not sure if we have a dedicated thread for this but seeing as many got stuck in the gridlock for over two hours after the Preston match then it might be worth sharing info/hints and tips. 

I've read that Wednesday night's problem was caused by the closure of Aylestone Road? However, the BBC article states that it would be open.... 

"Leicester City Council said the closure would not be in operation on Wednesday night when Leicester City have a fixture at their stadium nearby." 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leicestershire-66964323

It was also bad after the Bristol City match but it was suggested that was a knock on effect from the students moving in.

Do we know if we are to expect more traffic misery tomorrow :dunno:

12 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Not sure if we have a dedicated thread for this but seeing as many got stuck in the gridlock for over two hours after the Preston match then it might be worth sharing info/hints and tips. 

I've read that Wednesday night's problem was caused by the closure of Aylestone Road? However, the BBC article states that it would be open.... 

"Leicester City Council said the closure would not be in operation on Wednesday night when Leicester City have a fixture at their stadium nearby." 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leicestershire-66964323

It was also bad after the Bristol City match but it was suggested that was a knock on effect from the students moving in.

Do we know if we are to expect more traffic misery tomorrow :dunno:

i don't think it was closed? It just had temporary traffic lights i think ? Some of the roads off it were though that are where a lot park. 

Pretty sure Aylestone road will be like it for a while yet. 

26 minutes ago, StonyFox said:

There were also lanes closed off for joining the motorway at fosse park, despite no work taking place, not even a single van! they could have quite easily waited until the traffic had cleared before causing gridlock. 

I jumped in a taxi on Narborough Road  at 11:10pm after the game & it took over an hour to get back to Narborough because of this. 

19 minutes ago, tcrofts said:

Cold Wednesday night at 3pm against Stoke

Screenshot_20231006_170528_Outlook.jpg

So this will again have a knock on effect to all routes leading towards Fosse Park and the M1/M69 junction? Is this likely to cause gridlock on Narborough Road again or is something else causing this? 

Gonna be home late for me tea again :(

43 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

So this will again have a knock on effect to all routes leading towards Fosse Park and the M1/M69 junction? Is this likely to cause gridlock on Narborough Road again or is something else causing this? 

I'm walking in from Fosse park area, probably quicker 

3 hours ago, StonyFox said:

There were also lanes closed off for joining the motorway at fosse park, despite no work taking place, not even a single van! they could have quite easily waited until the traffic had cleared before causing gridlock. 

Said the same thing to my nephew. Ridiculous to cause such delays, especially as all the Preston fans were also trying to get to the motorway. They could have easily just done the works after 11.30pm when the traffic would have cleared. It often feels like the council try to make it as difficult as possible for road users. If only we had a public transport system that was reliable and affordable 🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

Stay until the final whistle and miss the traffic

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Matt said:

Traffic in Leicester is a joke.

Obviously i'm in favour of any extension or expansion to the ground, area and City but the road networks and infrastructure needs serious improvement before anything could be considered or actually go ahead, it can't cope in it's current state let alone any more.

It's been so bad this season. Wednesday was the worst traffic I think I've ever been in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexFT said:

Leicester City are encouraging supporters to arrive as early as possible for this weekend’s fixtures on Filbert Way.

- Roadworks are in place near King Power Stadium
- De Montfort University are hosting an Open Day on Saturday
- Supporters urged to factor additional travel times to their journeys 

The Club’s Men’s First Team take on Stoke City on Saturday 7 October (3pm kick-off) before LCFC Women host Everton on Sunday 8 October (3pm kick-off).

Roadworks are currently in place on Aylestone Road, affecting both Almond Road and Aylestone Walk, and are due to be completed by Wednesday 25 October.

Additionally, major existing roadworks are also being carried out on Raw Dykes Road and Upperton Road, lasting for at least 40 weeks.   

Furthermore, on Saturday, De Montfort University are hosting an Open Day on campus, which may also impact fans’ inward and outward journeys.

Supporters planning to visit King Power Stadium this weekend are therefore urged to factor additional travel time to their journeys.

All times BST.

Getting to and from town if you live in South Leicester is an absolute ****ing joke these days to be honest. Constant streams of never ending roadworks, year on year, seemingly in the same places were they were the year before. Constantly digging up South Wigston and Saffron Lane, Aylestone Road is gridlock ever since the knew bus lane, and with both of those being rammo everyone heads to Welford road and jams that up to. Most days it takes me over an hour to get to and from the City Centre to Wigston on the bus. Its a 4 mile journey. No 4 mile journey should ever take an hour as standard. I don't know what the answer is but the roads are no longer fit for purpose with the amount of traffic they are expected to carry.

• Like 1

Footy is the only time  I ever go to Leicester city  these days.Cut thru back of Braunstone /fosse rd/cross narb rd and park up western rd area.Usually out and home within the hour. All the talk about regenerating high streets and you cant park wardens everywhere and endless roadworks with no working 

12 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

Getting to and from town if you live in South Leicester is an absolute ****ing joke these days to be honest. Constant streams of never ending roadworks, year on year, seemingly in the same places were they were the year before. Constantly digging up South Wigston and Saffron Lane, Aylestone Road is gridlock ever since the knew bus lane, and with both of those being rammo everyone heads to Welford road and jams that up to. Most days it takes me over an hour to get to and from the City Centre to Wigston on the bus. Its a 4 mile journey. No 4 mile journey should ever take an hour as standard. I don't know what the answer is but the roads are no longer fit for purpose with the amount of traffic they are expected to carry.

It makes you question where the money comes from to do all of it considering they're all supposed to be broke, I know they get a fair amount from the government.

Everything seems to take forever, when they were doing Aylestone Rd near KP regularly they change the month when it was to be completed and now it's the same with the Saffron Lane pavement/cycle path..

While on this rant why is the bus lane from Saffron Lane to Raw Dykes so wide and the pavement so narrow?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

How long will that take? Must be a long walk unless you know the shortcuts. 

Go up Raw Dykes Road and immediately after Aldi, turn left onto the great central way. It goes in pretty much a straight line all the way to Blaby and beyond, down behind Evesham Road and all those little streets on that side of Braunstone and access to Glen Parva further on. It’s poorly lit though so you might find yourself alone in the dark after you passed the first mile or so.