Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dynamark

Words you never heard at football.

On 08/10/2023 at 12:01, Chelmofox said:

Same as now using assistant referee. No problem with it.

Me and my son were musing yesterday, that a phrase you never hear is 'I support Wolves'.  On any holiday i have been on i don't think i have ever bumped into a Wolves fan.

I'd never met an Ipswich fan until there was one in my local tesco (I live in Chorley) on Saturday evening. I was in there with my Leicester top on after we'd beat Stoke and she  was in there with her Ipswich shirt on after they'd beat Preston. 

• Haha 1

On 08/10/2023 at 13:51, OntarioFox said:

Leicester scored on their opponents and it tied the game - a favourite of @foxile5 :ph34r:

Player Of The Match also pisses me off for some reason - probably because it was just randomly inserted into Sky's coverage without any comment or fanfare "because equality" and they now act like it was always that way. Did anyone in the Women's game actually ask for a gender-neutral term for that?

Heard Jill Scott on desert island discs and she said she was really proud of her man of the match trophy when playing for a junior team and refused to have it changed as it showed she was equal to the boys and not just the best girl.

i suspect many players in the women’s leagues would be perfectly happy with a woman of the match. If the day ever comes when there is true equality and we have professional mixed teams then pot would necessary

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Heard Jill Scott on desert island discs and she said she was really proud of her man of the match trophy when playing for a junior team and refused to have it changed as it showed she was equal to the boys and not just the best girl.

i suspect many players in the women’s leagues would be perfectly happy with a woman of the match. If the day ever comes when there is true equality and we have professional mixed teams then pot would necessary

I cant see it ever going to happen due to the physical difference between Men and Women.

Though there are other sports where it's likely to happen or has happened already for specific occasions.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

I cant see it ever going to happen due to the physical difference between Men and Women.

Though there are other sports where it's likely to happen or has happened already for specific occasions.

The one exception could, perhaps, be the position of goalkeeper. But it would take some talent to break through that barrier. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, HitchinFox said:

The one exception could, perhaps, be the position of goalkeeper. But it would take some talent to break through that barrier. 

Ironically, I think the awful standard of goalkeepers is the main thing holding the women's game back at the moment. Outside of the top teams, any shot on goal can often result in a goal. Quality keepers are few and far between, which is why the signing of Leitzig has been such a coup for us.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OntarioFox said:

Ironically, I think the awful standard of goalkeepers is the main thing holding the women's game back at the moment. Outside of the top teams, any shot on goal can often result in a goal. Quality keepers are few and far between, which is why the signing of Leitzig has been such a coup for us.

100%.

Why I mention a keeper as a possibility is that, arguably, some of the physical attributes are less important in that role - running speed, strength of passing/shooting etc. Kevin Poole, for example, was a short-arse and slow as anything. 

And let's face it, if Kevin Pressman could make it... 

On 09/10/2023 at 21:45, HitchinFox said:

100%.

Why I mention a keeper as a possibility is that, arguably, some of the physical attributes are less important in that role - running speed, strength of passing/shooting etc. Kevin Poole, for example, was a short-arse and slow as anything. 

And let's face it, if Kevin Pressman could make it... 

Kevin Pressman was a good goalkeeper with a good career behind him.

People always use him as an example but he was 37 when he came here ffs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FOXSE said:

Sesquipadalian.

As in 'I hate it when people say things that are unnecessarily sesquipadalian'

And here I was I thought sesquipedalian  was a  new term for an E-bike cyclist,

or the collective for a group of those cute creatures the Pangolin.

One learns something everyday..

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Kevin Pressman was a good goalkeeper with a good career behind him.

People always use him as an example but he was 37 when he came here ffs.

he had some mistakes in him even in his prime (I remember him 'juggling' the ball over his own line in the 90s against us lol)

but, he could also make some top quality saves, was a good shotstopper

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ParkerPen said:

he had some mistakes in him even in his prime (I remember him 'juggling' the ball over his own line in the 90s against us lol)

but, he could also make some top quality saves, was a good shotstopper

I believe we have our GK end-marker. 
since the EO 50s, we IMO have never had either a terrible,Technical weak

incompetent,not up to scratch Goalkeeper,until Ward.

Who is generally not so bad,but technical discipline,for any level PL GK has shown,

he was too inconsistent and laden with in too many areas with small mistakes.

Many fans went OTT with the critic,but unfortunately what was damning evidence…If Iversen had been introduced earlier,many fans believe we wouldn’t of gone down,even probably taking Ward away from the consistent stagelights ,might have given him some time to gather quality phased PL experience despite age.

Without being decisive Rodgers helped to destroy any trust from fans on Ward &

destroyed Iversen to improve on his own weaknesses & qualities.

IMO it’s a bloody shame that Iversen is wasting his time with us,& not been given a chance to prove he could work within the Enzo system & developed the needed skills & tactic-responsibilities…Mads has „not yet“ for me,shown/proved he is a better call than Iversen. I take my right from watching intently all Leicester greats,and top GKs over 60yrs+

Plus not entertaining fools who are quick on the trigger but mainly being a simple cantankerous old sod..

17 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

I believe we have our GK end-marker. 
since the EO 50s, we IMO have never had either a terrible,Technical weak

incompetent,not up to scratch Goalkeeper,until Ward.

Who is generally not so bad,but technical discipline,for any level PL GK has shown,

he was too inconsistent and laden with in too many areas with small mistakes.

Many fans went OTT with the critic,but unfortunately what was damning evidence…If Iversen had been introduced earlier,many fans believe we wouldn’t of gone down,even probably taking Ward away from the consistent stagelights ,might have given him some time to gather quality phased PL experience despite age.

Without being decisive Rodgers helped to destroy any trust from fans on Ward &

destroyed Iversen to improve on his own weaknesses & qualities.

IMO it’s a bloody shame that Iversen is wasting his time with us,& not been given a chance to prove he could work within the Enzo system & developed the needed skills & tactic-responsibilities…Mads has „not yet“ for me,shown/proved he is a better call than Iversen. I take my right from watching intently all Leicester greats,and top GKs over 60yrs+

Plus not entertaining fools who are quick on the trigger but mainly being a simple cantankerous old sod..

I totally agree with you. Sadly I've also seen all the great keepers playing over that Period. From the great Lev Yeshin to now.

Like you Mads hasn't filled me with complete confidence in the way Iversen did when he came into the team.

As 2 keepers standing on the goalline making saves I'd take Iversen all day long. It's the distribution aspect that has Mads no 1. And I understand why also.

Enzo wants to keep the play as far upfield as possible. Which means the less need to be making saves.

They're both very young have time to improve. I'd like to see Enzo work his Magic on Iversen and develop him to be type of keeper he wants. Then we'd have the very best of what's out there currently as Goalkeepers. And less not forget the very impressive other young keeper we have Jacob Stolarczyk.

Someone in our Scouting dept has a good eye for a Goalkeepers.

I'd hate to see any of them leave and prove themselves elsewhere.

• Like 1

Guest Sideshow Faes
On 09/10/2023 at 20:22, OntarioFox said:

Goal sizes were developed to suit the men's game. There are few women that can match the size of the biggest male goalkeepers, so the position is inherently more difficult for female goalkeepers. There are plenty of very good goalkeepers in the women's game but certain ball positions are just now difficult for them to reach and cover the whole goal in the same way. 

13 minutes ago, Sideshow Faes said:

Goal sizes were developed to suit the men's game. There are few women that can match the size of the biggest male goalkeepers, so the position is inherently more difficult for female goalkeepers. There are plenty of very good goalkeepers in the women's game but certain ball positions are just now difficult for them to reach and cover the whole goal in the same way. 

Embarrassingly this has never occurred to me until someone pointed it out prior to the Lionesses recent penalty shoot out with Nigeria. You could tell that both teams worked on bottom or top corners of the net in training. I don't recall many going down the middle. 

On 09/10/2023 at 19:07, Clever Fox said:

I don’t know imagine her running at you with the ball, she looks like she has more muscles than a few of our lads put together!!😂🤣

IMG_6661.jpeg

• Haha 1