Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

AFCON - Jan/Feb 2024

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

A very Eurocentric viewpoint here, but I've never understood why they have the tournament in January/Feb time.

African leaders will want African players to move to European leagues and promote the sport, but removing all the big names from their clubs for a month surely has teams questioning buying African stars 

I might be misremembering but didn’t they try doing it in the summer a few years back and it was, quite simply, too hot?

5 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

A very Eurocentric viewpoint here, but I've never understood why they have the tournament in January/Feb time.

African leaders will want African players to move to European leagues and promote the sport, but removing all the big names from their clubs for a month surely has teams questioning buying African stars 

4 hours ago, Langston said:

I might be misremembering but didn’t they try doing it in the summer a few years back and it was, quite simply, too hot?

Lashing heavy tropical rains which occurs in most of sub-Saharan Africa (and with seemingly worsening ferocity and effects due to climate change) in the European summer season makes meaningful or fan-friendly (and/or spectator-friendly, for the telly) football difficult, if not well nigh impossible.

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also imagine the overhaul of the squad will continue in January so it's hard to say how these players missing will affect us. On paper Ndidi, Iheanacho and Fatawu will be missed, especially if Nigeria and Ghana go the distance.

If we're still flying and have a considerable gap to 3rd place, I can see us strengthening and investing in one or two players to support Enzo's system to give us more depth to lessen the impact. Getting Cannon bedded in and fit before Iheanacho goes is also key.

Daka is of no concern as I think he'll be sold early in the window prior to the AFCON occurring - he'll need an early move if he wants to avoid transfer distractions during the tournament.

On 15/10/2023 at 11:19, BKLFox said:

Pity the Ipswich game comes early in the tournament we could do with the full roster available for that 1 if they keep up till then. Other than that the games seem pretty good for us.

Not sure if Ipswich (or any of our rivals) will be losing players to AFCON :dunno:

35 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Not sure if Ipswich (or any of our rivals) will be losing players to AFCON :dunno:

Ipswich might have Morsy who is a starter away with Egypt although he wasn't in their latest squad & Coventry wont have anyone away so those 2 are in a good place to play us subject to injures/suspensions.

The other 3 teams on paper you'd expect us to be stronger than them regardless so if they do have anyone away then only weakens them further.
Watford have a handful of African nation players but none have been called up for latest squads
Stoke have 2 but neither called up for latest Internationals
Swansea have none although they do have the Welsh Pirlo in their ranks

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Always amazes me people telling a whole continent what to do.

TBF, maybe Africa’s 1.3bn people will read this and understand foxfanazer won’t get the pleasure of seeing Patson in front of a half full Ricoh and then decide that’s more important. 

Hey that's not fair!!

It's Ndidi I don't want them to have :ph34r:

Edited by foxfanazer

18 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Always amazes me people telling a whole continent what to do.

TBF, maybe Africa’s 1.3bn people will read this and understand foxfanazer won’t get the pleasure of seeing Patson in front of a half full Ricoh and then decide that’s more important. 

Also if you take everything post on here seriously you're gonna be posting a lot of sarcastic and patronising replies

Edited by foxfanazer

Saints' Kamaldeen had been keeping our Abdul out the squad, but I think that swapped over during the last international break. Selfishly, I was hoping he'd continue to be overlooked, but it was inevitable really.

He and Wilf are gonna be the big misses - good to have Praet back fit as he's the obvious replacement in the number 8 position. I'd like to see Yunus back on the wing in Fatawu's absence - I think he's a little lightweight in the middle and he's always played from wide previously. Just lacks that lick of pace to go past a man, but I'm sure his technique will lend itself to other ways of playing.

Daka's burgeoning form might make the striker situation a bit more of a headache for us - being left with just Vardy and Cannon might leave us looking a bit one dimensional in the forward line.

But overall, we'll still be left with a strong squad if we avoid picking up injuries. I think we'll find out if we're championship winning material or not during this period.

17 hours ago, Simonb said:

Shame Leeds won't be affected really  they're the main threat as not in the top 2. Not bothered about Ipswich at the moment

You’re more worried about a team 11 points behind us than you are a team that could go ahead of us in the table this weekend?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bert said:

You’re more worried about a team 11 points behind us than you are a team that could go ahead of us in the table this weekend?

I would be. Whilst Ipswich continue to do well it's the gap with 3rd that matters, not with Ipswich. 

It'd be annoying to miss out on the title (especially tied with Man City for most 2nd division titles) but I'd take 2nd right now in a heartbeat - it's about going up

Edited by Les-TA-Jon
  • Like 1