Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

20 hours ago, Sly said:

Is he just fishing for votes with controversy at this stage?  

there was something written about this  the first time he ran for presidency..

’experts’ concluded that if he says something controversial, it gets his name and face into everyone’s front room and everyone’s talks about  him. They called it “ free advertising”

I don’t understand it myself. Just makes me dislike him even more.

Can see Trump getting knocked off at some point, in a country like the USA with all the shootings  that happen and all the nut job groups there and the stuff he comes out with.

I think the last president to be shot was Reagan and he may no longer be Pres but running again with all the peeps that hate him, like a huge orange target floating around.

On 11/02/2024 at 01:05, Jattdogg said:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/10/politics/trump-south-carolina-primary-haley/index.html

Only bone spurs draft dodger trump could get away with insulting an active serviceman. His base will love it, make excuses and offer their wives to him because he is god.

Idiot on the right, confused biden on the left.  Cvnt face trudeau over here, bellend sunak over there. Now is the time to seize on your opportunities to be a well paid politician. Requirements? Be able to breathe.

I think i stand a chance to make it!

I'd vote for a plank of wood at this point, though over here we are going to get the nearest thing you can to that as PM this year. God it's shite isn't it.

• Like 1

unrelated... sort of, but how are we all feeling about Sunak getting an hour long "Q&A" on GB News this evening? 

I understand not many people watch it.... but feels like our democratic standards are at an all time low in the UK. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Just for the record, Biden is NOT left-wing, on the true sense of the word. He's just not quite as right as the hard right.

The USA hasn’t had a president with any leftist ideas since FDR really. I suppose you could say Carter but he was chased out faster than you can say John Wayne. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lionator said:

The USA hasn’t had a president with any leftist ideas since FDR really. I suppose you could say Carter but he was chased out faster than you can say John Wayne. 

JFK tried too, and he was done away with. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ithuriel said:

Can see Trump getting knocked off at some point, in a country like the USA with all the shootings  that happen and all the nut job groups there and the stuff he comes out with.

I think the last president to be shot was Reagan and he may no longer be Pres but running again with all the peeps that hate him, like a huge orange target floating around.

We can but dream, can’t we?

53 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

JFK tried too, and he was done away with. 

JFK would still have been seen as very right wing in Europe but I guess so in the American context. It’s a crazy country when you think about it. 

Just now, Trav Le Bleu said:

As I said earlier, anyone seen The Dead Zone?

I have. Really good. We just need somebody willing to be a real life psychic hero assassin. Any volunteers? 

South Park parodied it once as I recall, with Cartman in the Christopher Walken role…

• Like 1

Left in the US is quite different to what we would consider over here in Europe. They generally start at Thatcher and keep heading right. 

I've been told to see Democrats as one nation Tories and Republicans as something generally beyond what we have traditionally had as Conservative (up to Boris Johnson).

5 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Left in the US is quite different to what we would consider over here in Europe. They generally start at Thatcher and keep heading right. 

I've been told to see Democrats as one nation Tories and Republicans as something generally beyond what we have traditionally had as Conservative (up to Boris Johnson).

The Conservatives always used to say that the Democrats in America were like their sister party.

Also - and I say this believing it’ll get shot down - Boris Johnson wasn’t that right wing. Certainly not in terms of manifesto. He’s a habitual liar, a populist and has an ego the size of a planet, but he’s not a right wing firebrand.

The likes of Truss and Braverman are another matter.

• Like 4

On social issues the US left seems far further left than the European equivalent. Or thinking about it maybe just more individualist.

Or maybe because they don't really have much economic leftism they pour their efforts into things like individual rights and social justice.

Edited by bovril
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, bovril said:

On social issues the US left seems far further left than the European equivalent. Or thinking about it maybe just more individualist.

Or maybe because they don't really have much economic leftism they pour their efforts into things like individual rights and social justice.

It’s partly to do with how they  define the constitution. The right interpret the constitution as something that was set up to protect their religious freedom and freedom from tyrannical rule ( ironic when you consider who  is running for presidency) Whilst the left would point to the anthem to define freedom and say “ this is either the land of the free or it’s not. There’s no inbetween”

it’s a rough and shoddy explanation maybe but I have another patient coming in so back to it!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bovril said:

It changes issue by issue. Poland aside (and it’ll change soon) abortion is always accessible in Europe whereas abortion is basically illegal in half of American states. 

• Like 1

I think if you aren't left wing then you are right wing.

Being left wing to me means you want to dismantle or reform the current structures of power. 

Being right wing means you want to keep the status quo. Someone like Johnson would be a good example.

It's somewhat interesting to me that post 1945 we've adopted this definition of left vs right that presents a spectrum between communism and fascism.

But it's a fantastic bit of manoeuvring because what would have been 'right-wing' is now basically in the centre.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

I think if you aren't left wing then you are right wing.

Being left wing to me means you want to dismantle or reform the current structures of power. 

Being right wing means you want to keep the status quo. Someone like Johnson would be a good example.

It's somewhat interesting to me that post 1945 we've adopted this definition of left vs right that presents a spectrum between communism and fascism.

But it's a fantastic bit of manoeuvring because what would have been 'right-wing' is now basically in the centre.

What if you're ****ing fed up with the crazy extremists on both sides and just want decent public services, a low cost of living and a decent way of life?

• Like 3