Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Well as I made the first comment about dentistry being brought under the NHS and oral health being very much part of overall health, I can tell you that's exactly what the discussion was about lol

but that wasn’t what I was replying about… 

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Which is exactly why no part of frontline health should be profit driven. They should be doing what benefits the individuals health, not what will keep them coming back more often.

I do agree with this part but again my comment wasn’t about that

22 minutes ago, MPH said:

but that wasn’t what I was replying about… 

What were you replying about then? My post was making the point that bad oral health can lead to other illnesses which then put pressure on the NHS or even slow down recovering from others. You disagreed with that, I'm not sure what you were replying about if you wasn't replying to disagree with the idea that bad oral health can affect overall health.

7 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

It genuinely isn't about envy. It's about a fair share.   If someone earning £120,000 through PAYE can be taxed at 60%, then how is it fair or equitable that someone with a yearly income at £2.3m can pay roughly 20%?

If you want to be a British citizen, then contribute fairly to society.   Jim Ratcliffe's wealth grows exponentially each year and yet I suspect he still minimises his personal tax liability.  

I don't think people realise how much money £1bn is.  If the general population really realised how the super rich operate, they would soon come to realise that it's not the top 10% of earners (which is a salary over £52k btw) that is making their life more difficult.  

£4bn might not sound much in overall terms, you are right.  But it might feel like a lot if it were focused purely on raising children out of destitution and poverty.  Or if that £4bn annually, was spent on building social housing to get the homeless off the streets.  

It doesn't has to solve ALL our ills, but it can help to prove society overall.

The other option of course is just to make the guy earning £120,000 pay 65% tax and perpetuate the belief that it's HIM that's making the poor feel poor. 

if anyone is interested in learning more about this topic.... this video is solid. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Wow, you missed the point. Why does it have to be a heart problem? And if your teeth are painful, falling out or sensitive, preventing your from eating properly, you're not going to be able to get nourishment to the body to get over whatever illness you may have, including that heart problem.

Not just that, there is a huge amount of data to suggest that poverty + poor dental health = poor overall health (including links to Alzheimers and heart disease). Poor oral hygiene can lead to many other diseases.

Dental health isn't just about keeping your teeth...

• Like 3

8 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

As someone who is half Jewish (though not raised in the Jewish religion), and who has relatives in Israel, I think I have a some small right to comment, even though I'm no expert on the Middle East.

- Being opposed to Netanyahu or for that matter the behavior of the Israeli state is not antisemitism.

- The horrors of 7th October do not give Israel the right to inflict 30 fold similar horrors on Palestinians civilians or the utter destruction Gaza.

- The only viable solution for Israelis to live in peace is via cooperation with moderate Arab leadership in a two state solution, something that recent Israeli governments seem to have systematically undermined by encouraging “settlers” in the West Bank.

I do agree with all of these points, however I can't shake the feeling that people who are very very keen to speak their mind on Israel and its approach in Gaza seem to have sod all to say about the similar horrors carried out around the world.  Some people have a specific reason to be interested of course, but I do wonder whether there isn't some antisemitism behind others, especially when they then come out with antisemitic tropes it does rather reinforce that view.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Straw poll on whether it’s acceptable for mp’s to have their homes protested at ????

Was the law broken?

No? There’s your answer. 

12,300 children dead. Personally, I find that 12,300 times more repugnant and unacceptable than any legal protest. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

… people who are very very keen to speak their mind on Israel and its approach in Gaza seem to have sod all to say about the similar horrors carried out around the world.  

And yet I can’t remember you saying anything about Cambodia or Maghreb. Does that make you Islamophobic?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Straw poll on whether it’s acceptable for mp’s to have their homes protested at ????

No of course not.  We want talented people to be MPs and this kind of behaviour would make any sensible family person worry about the safety for their family.  You cannot pick and choose whether you agree with the protesters or not to decide whether it is ok or not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Daggers said:

And yet I can’t remember you saying anything about Cambodia or Maghreb. Does that make you Islamophobic?

That is a very fair question.  Could be that the never ending news coverage is more of an influence.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

That is a very fair question.  Could be that the never ending news coverage is more of an influence.  

And that it’s not antisemitism but a brutal 75 year occupation…

• Like 1

Guest David Oldfields Gate
2 hours ago, Daggers said:

Was the law broken?

No? There’s your answer. 

12,300 children dead. Personally, I find that 12,300 times more repugnant and unacceptable than any legal protest. 

Post your address please. I need somewhere to practice playing the banjo.

10 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Maybe would be more straightforward to ask if anyone thinks it is ok 

I asked the question without context 

I got answers with context 

Having laws with context is often tricky because it creates grey areas 

having laws without context is cleaner but then doesn’t provide for context 😄

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

Was the law broken?

No? There’s your answer. 

Tobias Ellwood has been critical of the action of the Israel government. Can you not see this type of protest against MPs in the thin edge of the wedge. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Tobias Ellwood has been critical of the action of the Israel government. Can you not see this type of protest against MPs in the thin edge of the wedge. 

The thin end of the wedge was eroded long ago. The hounding of Corbyn outside his home, being followed and heckled by our press comes to mind… 

3 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

The thin end of the wedge was eroded long ago. The hounding of Corbyn outside his home, being followed and heckled by our press comes to mind… 

All politicians accept the 'intrusion' of the press, its part of the job. However, the public protests are not, particularly as it effects their families.

I searched for instances of Corbyn suffering the same fate and only Extinction Rebellion appear to have to stooped that low and it was only 3 of them, not a mob.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

A) and?

B) You don’t like people behaving within the law therefore you want the right to protest curbed even further by alluding to a fictional yet unexplained event at an undetermined point in the future. This is not the basis for sound policy. 

• Like 2