Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-66851790

19th September - Avanti West Coast (and Crosscountry) awarded extensions to their railway franchises 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67257969

30th October - Avanti West Coast announce emergency timetable on London to Manchester, a reduction of 40% on a line which suffers badly from passenger congestion. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Can we discuss the merits of our midfielders social media posts in here ?

I appreciate why it’s been taken down on the Lcfc page 

I would think we can have a reasoned debate/discussion about whether players should be allowed to voice their politics etc 

Players should be allowed to post or like what they want, as long as it doesn’t justify terrorism, the erasure of a state, isn’t homophobic, racist or sexist. It’s not difficult. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Can we discuss the merits of our midfielders social media posts in here ?

I appreciate why it’s been taken down on the Lcfc page 

I would think we can have a reasoned debate/discussion about whether players should be allowed to voice their politics etc 

What was said?  By whom?

Edited by filthyfox
Demonstrating correct use of grammar

Not going to even start to get into the chant, it’s purpose/interpretation etc. it’s too long and my head hurts this afternoon. 

Hamza, however is a professional footballer. My opinion, he should (just like any other professional) be able to profess support for whatever he feels like. However, the use of that slogan, given the debate around it and the risk of hurt it could cause, should never be used be someone in his position. There are plenty of ways to show support with out it.

When it was said by the Israeli ambassador (without any recourse) it was sickening (but she’s another right wing sicko who advocates for destruction and our politicians shake her hand 🤦‍♂️)and even more so when she faced no reprimand. That disgust, given the emotion it causes should apply equally to the other side given the influence. 

Bad move. Agent should be all over it. He isn’t the right person for the debate nor is he adding value to his position in using it. The debate around the use of the term should very much continue though. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bovril said:

so is anyone going to say what he said?

He said "from the river to the sea"* which is a quote associated with Palestinian freedom, however it is also used in some contexts as a call to arms to erase the state of Israel. At best it indicates a one-state Palestinian solution to the issue, which is obviously not great as the two-state solution is UN approved and is obviously the most likely way to peace. 

*I do not agree with the quote.  

8 minutes ago, Lionator said:

He said "from the river to the sea"* which is a quote associated with Palestinian freedom, however it is also used in some contexts as a call to arms to erase the state of Israel. At best it indicates a one-state Palestinian solution to the issue, which is obviously not great as the two-state solution is UN approved and is obviously the most likely way to peace. 

*I do not agree with the quote.  

Had a feeling it was that. Seen and heard it quite a lot recently. For what it's worth I think a lot of people use it without really understanding what it implies.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bovril said:

Had a feeling it was that. Seen and heard it quite a lot recently. For what it's worth I think a lot of people use it without really understanding what it implies.

Yes basically, the classic case of do your research before saying it. 

23 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Good to see his apology 

has he deleted his original river/sea message ?

has he also unliked his like of a post from 7 October ‘celebrating’ the Hamas attacks ??

if the answer is no then his apology is vacuous 

Don't think he's deleted his tweet. 

21 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Don't think he's deleted his tweet. 

Which will probably mean the fa will bring a charge 

we can debate whether us fans we are ok about him missing games on the basis of his principles - suspect the club will be less understanding 

would assume someone is supposed to monitor player’s SM posts in order to head off trouble before it takes hold - they’re either on holiday or as ignorant as hamza will claim to be ! 

6 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Which will probably mean the fa will bring a charge 

we can debate whether us fans we are ok about him missing games on the basis of his principles - suspect the club will be less understanding 

would assume someone is supposed to monitor player’s SM posts in order to head off trouble before it takes hold - they’re either on holiday or as ignorant as hamza will claim to be ! 

The tweet is still active, if you go on the application formerly known as Twitter, you will find it quite easily, as people are replying with somewhat angry remarks. Even more bizarre that his apology on iPhone notes is just above it. 

Whichever way you want to cut it, he’s a professional and will most likely have clauses within his contract and also sponsors like Adidas, on how he interacts with the public, use of social media etc, whatever your opinion on a controversial subject is, 

If we, or the FA don’t act, can you imagine how it looks if our sponsors respond? 

It’s interesting in the ‘free speech’ debate because ultimately the ones who often cry about free speech aka Laurence Fox are the ones now calling for Hamza to be lynched.

I don’t think he is wise to tweet this, and I have my doubts as to what his actual opinions are but I’m not sure he should be charged? It’s a dangerous precedent. 

Edited by Lionator

55 minutes ago, hejammy said:

https://news.sky.com/story/israel-hamas-war-conservative-mp-paul-bristow-sacked-from-government-post-after-calling-for-gaza-ceasefire-12996701

There seems to be double standards across all platforms, from the government to this very forum...... 

govt are entitled to do as they wish within their structure- this is apparently collective responsibility- they should all toe the line in public.  That’s not unreasonable but in situations like this it exposes individuals who are already panicking about losing their seats in a year. 

no one disputes hamza’s right to support the Palestinian cause - the point here is very straightforward. He can go on SM and express his support for that without using a term that he knows is very questionable and in some western countries considered ‘hate speech’.  No one is being ‘shut down’ if they choose their words carefully. It’s that type of situation.

and again - not removing his like of a post ‘lauding’ 7 October could reveal his real thoughts and I for one do not want to see someone of that mindset play for my club again.  I would like to believe that he did that whilst very little was known about was was happening on that day. 

He needs to come clean on that imo. 

• Like 1