Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

28 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

You sort of both miss my point somewhat 

as politics becomes more and more about who looks good and sounds good infront of a tv screen, this is the pre requisite for deciding who makes the decisions on our future.   it’s not about who is the brightest with a vision - it’s about who is the most charismatic. I’m sure this is one of the reasons why we have such poor politics around the world with people who we generally think simply aren’t up to it 

I'm, not sure I agree, I think we have a lack of talented people because one can have a much nicer life in just about any other career and people who make good politicians have those choices available to them.  Treat people like shit long enough and you put everyone off.  Not the only career which lacks the respect it should deserve in the modern age, but certainly one of them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

You sort of both miss my point somewhat 

as politics becomes more and more about who looks good and sounds good infront of a tv screen, this is the pre requisite for deciding who makes the decisions on our future.   it’s not about who is the brightest with a vision - it’s about who is the most charismatic. I’m sure this is one of the reasons why we have such poor politics around the world with people who we generally think simply aren’t up to it 

*Sunak and Starmer enter chat

4 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I'm, not sure I agree, I think we have a lack of talented people because one can have a much nicer life in just about any other career and people who make good politicians have those choices available to them.  Treat people like shit long enough and you put everyone off.  Not the only career which lacks the respect it should deserve in the modern age, but certainly one of them.

Ironically (are you paying attention Alanis?), the advert immediately beneath this on my screen was for paid asthma trials.

• Sad 1

Angela Raynor works incredibly hard. Buys council house at 25% discount - gets herself on the housing ladder. Angela Rayner sells council house naturally makes a profit. Angela Raynor works even harder and becomes shadow deputy PM. Angela Raynor calls for review of right to buy but emphasises that council tenants should have the right to purchase their council homes. The review should be around whether the scheme appropriately replaces stock - therefore not contributing to what is (for many an unbearable housing crisis). 

How are the Tories using this as a stick to beat her with ? They are literally clutching at straws. 

18 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Angela Raynor works incredibly hard. Buys council house at 25% discount - gets herself on the housing ladder. Angela Rayner sells council house naturally makes a profit. Angela Raynor works even harder and becomes shadow deputy PM. Angela Raynor calls for review of right to buy but emphasises that council tenants should have the right to purchase their council homes. The review should be around whether the scheme appropriately replaces stock - therefore not contributing to what is (for many an unbearable housing crisis). 

How are the Tories using this as a stick to beat her with ? They are literally clutching at straws. 

Its over the other house she lived in, also purchased on a right to buy. She has been accused of not actually living at the house she bought for the 5 years after she bought it to move in with her partner at the time.

The suggested reforms seem reasonable enough, though its interesting she wants to reduce the discount offered which will presumably dissuade people from buying them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Hmm.. 

forgive me for being Naive, but i was hoping politicians didn't see being an MP as just another Job. 

I hoped it was for the samne reason people enter the Care industry.. they wanted to make a difference.. 

1 hour ago, MPH said:

Hmm.. 

forgive me for being Naive, but i was hoping politicians didn't see being an MP as just another Job. 

I hoped it was for the samne reason people enter the Care industry.. they wanted to make a difference.. 

Some people get into politics to genuinely make a difference, on both sides of the house.

Unfortunately there are lots of aspects that would make the career appealing to people who put "making a difference" as a low priority.  You get media exposure, power, influence and more.

What's more of a pity, is that those that put themselves forward for life on the front benches are often of the personality type that seeks power and influence over anything else.  The media scrutiny that comes with those positions I can imagine would put most sensible people off.

I would be much happier with boring, sensible politicians, but in this social media driven, reality TV society that we live in, voted win prizes, and popularity, not sensible policy, wins votes.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MPH said:

Hmm.. 

I hope so too, but my point is that there are other jobs which would also make you feel you were making a difference without the awful side dish of vitriol and abuse which seem to be standard for politicians these days.  Interestingly I had dinner with a Western Australia minister, mla (mp) and the ministers chief of staff last night, and the chief of staff who would no doubt make an excellent politician with passion and purpose was very clear that he won’t do so because the sacrifice is too much.  Sad state of affairs imo.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, nnfox said:

Some people get into politics to genuinely make a difference, on both sides of the house.

Unfortunately there are lots of aspects that would make the career appealing to people who put "making a difference" as a low priority.  You get media exposure, power, influence and more.

What's more of a pity, is that those that put themselves forward for life on the front benches are often of the personality type that seeks power and influence over anything else.  The media scrutiny that comes with those positions I can imagine would put most sensible people off.

I would be much happier with boring, sensible politicians, but in this social media driven, reality TV society that we live in, voted win prizes, and popularity, not sensible policy, wins votes.

I agree that some shallow members of the public confuse the voting for politicians with some vacuous reality tv nonsense. 

To be fair the Tories deserve all the  reciprocated  gloating that comes their way  with regards to their current downfall.

I seem to remember a significant about of glee being thrown around with regards to the Corbyn implosion

I remember saying several weeks ago that with the Presidential election looming, Donald Trump didn't need to focus so much on gaining the middle ground vote,  although of course they will play a part, and he will try to,  but the reality was that there will be so many disillusioned Democratic voters that Biden needs to persuade them to get out and vote. I fully believe Trump will likely win the election with a smaller vote than what he got in 2016. It looks like  there will be a lot of 'protest' votes over their stance in Gaza. Many will be marking their ballots ' uncomitted'

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68409546

https://www.newsnationnow.com/politics/2024-election/dems-uncommitted-vote-michigan/

Edited by MPH

41 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

I agree that some shallow  most members of the public confuse the voting for politicians with some vacuous reality tv nonsense. 

fixed it for you... 

the "average" member of the public doesn't engage with politics.  definitely not outside of an election process and mainly through what they read in the press.... 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

fixed it for you... 

the "average" member of the public doesn't engage with politics.  definitely not outside of an election process and mainly through what they read in the press.... 

I was trying to be over kind 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

LOLZ etc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-68414524

Screw these guys sky high, in the strongest possible terms

This has made my day. Scum that need to be made an example of. 

Sincerely hope the cost of the rebuild absolutely ruins them, THEN they sent to the clink for the arson and planning regulation breaches. Throw the book at them. 

No doubt they'll probably try and file for insolvency or wriggle out of it. People like these cvnts boil my piss.  

• Like 2