Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

4 hours ago, RoboFox said:

This has made my day. Scum that need to be made an example of. 

Sincerely hope the cost of the rebuild absolutely ruins them,

Imagine one of the builders turning-up for the first day of the rebuild and pulling a spirit level from his tool bag.

'You can put that away mate, you won't  be needing it.'

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Parafox said:

When a city council goes bust:

'It was inevitable': What Birmingham city council cuts mean for residents | ITV News Central

Scary stuff for the residents of Leicester if this is anything to go by.

Some of these are absolutely catastrophic for long term health outcomes, yet you’ll have parties complaining in 10-15 years that the nhs waiting list is too long and not enough people are working. 

1 hour ago, Greg2607 said:

The way local authorities are funded needs to change doesn't it.  If there are scores of LA's going bust... then it can't ALL be down to financial mismanagement. There has to be a fundamental short fall in funding streams. 

What a failing country we are. 

Statutory areas for spending have gone up but funding hasn’t. 

1 hour ago, Greg2607 said:

The way local authorities are funded needs to change doesn't it.  If there are scores of LA's going bust... then it can't ALL be down to financial mismanagement. There has to be a fundamental short fall in funding streams. 

What a failing country we are. 

Unfortunately many are mismanaged. You've only to look at the expenditure some Councils make from Parish to District to City & County Councils.

Indeed, you only need to look at the squandering of cash by national Governments.

• Haha 1

I do agree councils are mismanaged. That’s clear to see. The endless red tape, the way they send a team out to do a 1 man job.

but I do also wonder if their budgets have or haven’t increased along with the cost of living? Supplies are more expensive, petrol, wages are going up… are their budgets increasing at the same rate all these are?

I worked for the.NHS for quite a few years and  they would employee managers for the stupidest of things.. I assume it’s the same for  councils?

Edited by MPH

4 hours ago, MPH said:

I worked for the.NHS for quite a few years and  they would employee managers for the stupidest of things.. I assume it’s the same for  councils?

I worked for a council for a while and that is most definitely true. I only worked in one department but other people I talked to had the same experience in different departments.

Most of the senior managers in local government seemed to be people who started 30-40 years ago as apprentices and receptionists who worked their way up. They have no experience of the private sector. People who had any proper business or management skills left for the private sector or retired. There's no consequence for poor performance; even mistakes which cost the council millions. It tends to lead to a very toxic environment where a lot of people know they've been over-promoted and don't want to be exposed - so they only promote yes men/women from within instead of outside expertise.

Occasionally you'd see managers from the private sector join the council. One of three things tended to happen: 1.They'd become so frustrated with the waste and incompetence they'd leave after a few months. 2. They'd heard all about the waste and knew they'd fit right in. 3. They were consultants who knew they were dealing with people who they could rinse massively for consultancy fees.

I worked in a payroll dept. In the time I was there they tried to introduce two new big IT payroll systems. Both failed miserably. Last year 30-40% of the department I used to work in were made redundant - but no managers. Now that council is having to pay private sector payroll providers to run most of the payrolls they used to run before the upgrade. It's cheaper than continuing to waste money trying to fix the software they originally bought.

When you look at all these councils going under. Keep an eye out for: new IT payroll system failed. I saw it happened at Birmingham (£100 million and counting for an Oracle system which was originally meant to cost £19 million) and i know of a couple of others where it's gone wrong. Where unqualified managers have wasted millions on software and then wasted millions trying to fix the software so it will do what they need it to.    

But it's also true to say councils are demonstrably underfunded.

Edited by Guesty
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You only have to follow one or two of the councils on LinkedIn or other social media channels (Leicester City, Leicestershire, Charnwood etc.) and you can see the amount of pointless jobs they are constantly advertising for. There is wastage all over the shot and the City council I imagine is probably one of the worst for it. Every year it's the same, "Oh we've got to find a way to save millions as we're not being getting the funding we need", then they go and chuck money at projects like redeveloping whole junctions at a cost of millions.

Cry poverty one minute and then lo and behold, here's a few million for some new cycle paths. 

Edited by lcfc278
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Well, here's another bunch of drivel that the internet didn't need. 

Most of the cycle paths are or at least were funded by the European Regional Development fund! Anecdotal evidence and putting 2+2 together to get 5.

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

So basically you pulled it completely out of your arse. 

I have no idea how much corruption there is in parliament, I'm not qualified to say, although Ian Hislop and his friends have spent a significant amount of time highlighting and proving enough of it that it's made me cynical yes. 

But christ some of you are absurdly melodramatic about what you think goes on in the council. 

Another LCC cycling department shill.

• Haha 3

Yeah you’re probably right, I have no idea what goes on with councils or even how they work, and not overly interested, all I know is services are constantly being cut and the roads that aren’t main roads make it seem like a third world country, and where I live in Nottingham the amount of council tax I pay is obscene and services are being cut left, right and centre. If it’s not corruption it’s just outright incompetence, either way it’s your average Joe who suffers.

Without going into details in what is a second-hand story, I know of a case where a council worker tried to use their position for something they shouldn’t have (let’s say a neighbourhood disagreement), and when it was reported to Peter Soulsby he came down on it hard.

There will always be people who are corrupt if you let them but I don’t think it’s endemic within councils. Mostly they’re just people trying to balance a budget and deciding which of people’s wants and needs are the least affordable.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Another LCC cycling department shill.

Some people think the Jews secretly control the world, but it's actually the cyclists. In the merchandise area at the annual Bilderberg meeting, the biggest sellers are lycra shorts and helmet cameras.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, lcfc278 said:

You only have to follow one or two of the councils on LinkedIn or other social media channels (Leicester City, Leicestershire, Charnwood etc.) and you can see the amount of pointless jobs they are constantly advertising for. There is wastage all over the shot and the City council I imagine is probably one of the worst for it. Every year it's the same, "Oh we've got to find a way to save millions as we're not being getting the funding we need", then they go and chuck money at projects like redeveloping whole junctions at a cost of millions.

Cry poverty one minute and then lo and behold, here's a few million for some new cycle paths. 

Quite often these things come from grants, that are an extra, on top of the usual funding they receive from the government. Same with all the bike lanes, we applied for a grant, so they spent it all. eg. https://news.leicester.gov.uk/news-articles/2023/january/400k-funding-boost-for-city-walking-and-cycling-schemes/. If we didn't get the grants, then they most likely wouldn't happen. 

Edited by Babylon
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Quite often these things come from grants, that are an extra, on top of the usual funding they receive from the government. Same with all the bike lanes, we applied for a grant, so they spent it all. eg. https://news.leicester.gov.uk/news-articles/2023/january/400k-funding-boost-for-city-walking-and-cycling-schemes/. If we didn't get the grants, then they most likely wouldn't happen. 

Fair enough - I'll be honest I chucked in the comment about bike lanes and junctions as it's all we ever seem to see in Leicester. Always some kind of roadworks or diversions and traffic due to temporary works it feels like that's where all the money goes in this city. Happy to be corrected though. 

• Like 1