Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

3 hours ago, RoboFox said:

We're talking about an electorate who will form an opinion based on one photograph published on the front page of a newspaper. 

And yes, the answer is thick people.

it's not as simple as this though is it....  that 23% probably represents a certain age demographic.... those people are most likely to get their news and information from a newspaper..... MOST of the newspapers are pro-tory and MOST of them will blame lots of our issues on the same rhetoric that the government peddles.  

They aren't looking at other sources of information, they probably have a house that is paid for (many of which may have bought them as part of right to buy) they have probably become relatively comfortable and affluent AND have memories of the labour government that was in power when the country last went to hell in a handcart in the 70's.

I've pretty much described my own father here and I know for a fact he will vote tory. (other than the right to buy element, he wasn't part of that) 

the reality is, that with a FPTP system, the MAJORITY of voters, don't vote Tory, but the Tories still get in.... for 75 of the last 100 years....  the centre right vote and the right wing vote isn't split in the same way that the left and centre left parties are. 

I suspect Reform may have a very bad effect on the Conservatives at the next election... that, or they will do some form of pact. 

Interesting article on the cause of our housing crisis...

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/mar/19/end-of-landlords-surprisingly-simple-solution-to-uk-housing-crisis

Over the last 25 years, there has not just been a constant surplus of homes per household, but the ratio has been modestly growing while our living situations have been getting so much worse. In London, as the Conservative Home blog notes, there is a terrible housing crisis “even though its population is roughly the same as it was 70 years ago”, when the city was still extensively bomb-damaged by the second world war.

In terms of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development countries, the UK has roughly the average number of homes per capita: 468 per 1,000 people in 2019. We have a comparable amount of housing to the Netherlands, Hungary or Canada, and our housing stock far exceeds many more affordable places such as Poland, Slovenia and the Czech Republic. It is impossible to make a case for unique levels of housing scarcity in Britain, in comparative international or historical terms. What has changed for the worse is not the amount of housing per household, but its cost. And cost, in turn, has a great deal to do with the landlordism that is at the heart of the present crisis.

We now find ourselves in a situation where one in every 21 adults in the UK is a landlord.

1 hour ago, ajthefox said:

The author has cherry picked the stats and twisted them to their own means. The following report is clearer.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.hbf.co.uk/documents/12890/International_Audit_Digital_v1.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiVydaNgYGFAxVSS0EAHdRLB4sQFnoECA8QBg&usg=AOvVaw3rfhXipigg7Iq31Px9LkPy

Essentially the UK has less homes per person than the EU average, in 53 less homes per 1000 than average and 156 less than France.

There are 1.4m more people in London than there were in 1950. If you ignore the m, 1.4 is quite a small number I suppose.

• Like 1

So it’s time for the U.S to stop giving mixed signals  over Hamas. One minute they are saying it would be a mistake to invade Rafa ( I’m not disagreeing with this) and then they say Israel has a right to go after Hamas. Well, where do they think the majority of Hamas fighters are now?

it makes me think their objections to the Israeli tactics in Gaza are purely superficial and for the public audience 

Edited by MPH

52 minutes ago, MPH said:

So it’s time for the U.S to stop giving mixed signals  over Hamas. One minute they are saying it would be a mistake to invade Rafa ( I’m not disagreeing with this) and then they say Israel has a right to go after Hamas. Well, where do they think the majority of Hamas fighters are now?

it makes me think their objections to the Israeli tactics in Gaza are purely superficial and for the public audience 

There are no mixed signals over Hamas - the issue is how the civilian population is treated. they have stated that an operation against rafah is a red line for them.  The fact that the IDF hasn’t gone in already shows that despite netenyahu’s bluster, I reckon Israel are trying to get Hamas to agree the 40 day ceasefire to get the majority of the hostages out. The threats are to keep the pressure on hamas. I had read that the Americans had put enough pressure on the Qataris to tell the Hamas top brass that they would be kicked out of Qatar if Hamas didn’t soften their ceasefire demands  

53 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

There are no mixed signals over Hamas - the issue is how the civilian population is treated. they have stated that an operation against rafah is a red line for them.  The fact that the IDF hasn’t gone in already shows that despite netenyahu’s bluster, I reckon Israel are trying to get Hamas to agree the 40 day ceasefire to get the majority of the hostages out. The threats are to keep the pressure on hamas. I had read that the Americans had put enough pressure on the Qataris to tell the Hamas top brass that they would be kicked out of Qatar if Hamas didn’t soften their ceasefire demands  

But Hamas is hiding in Rafa. There’s at least 3 battalions worth of soldiers in there. they go after Hamas and there will be undeniable consequences for the civilian population. They can’t say on one hand don’t go into Rafa and the next hand, go get Hamas ( who are in Rafa).

Edited by MPH

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

When the multimillionaires stop sucking £86,500,000 out of the public purse every year?

Good point, yes, but on a personal level.

Has aspects of Princess Diana to it.

Sainsbury's, McDonald's have been affected by 'IT issues' recently, but if this is due to hacking they have crossed a line...Greggs?! Even a hacker loves a sausage rolls?!

Edited by fox_favourite

4 hours ago, Daggers said:

When the multimillionaires stop sucking £86,500,000 out of the public purse every year?

Don’t disagree but Harry tried to escape from it and got hounded even more by the press though tbf. I’m not sure it’s a role he can really just leave.

11 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Russia want our sausage rolls!

Defending our sausage rolls is a worthy  reason to  destroy modern civilization , to be fair..

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Don’t think it’s a hack, reading forums it appears to be a software upgrade malfunction. McDonald’s and Sainsburys were confirmed not to be hacks. 

Please refrain from allowing the truth to ruin a good conspiracy.  This is the internet.

Thanks.

34 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Don’t think it’s a hack, reading forums it appears to be a software upgrade malfunction. McDonald’s and Sainsburys were confirmed not to be hacks. 

They would say it wasn’t a hack work wouldn’t they.. 

30 minutes ago, nnfox said:

Please refrain from allowing the truth to ruin a good conspiracy.  This is the internet.

Thanks.

fixed. Back on track :ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

They'll never take our lives, they'll never take our freedom and they'll never take our vegan rolls.

they can take the vegan rolls…

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

https://www.eastmidlandsdevolution.co.uk/

First meeting of the "East Midlands Combined Authority" today..... OBVIOUSLY, Leicestershire isn't included..... so are we technically now, no longer in the East Midlands??? 

We aren't Northerners, or Southerners.... what actually are we?? lol

Leicestershire opted out didn't it?

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 1