Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

15 minutes ago, Guesty said:

I used to be outraged by the sewage in the rivers till I found out how much it costs to fix; now I sort of understand why it never gets fixed. Don't agree with it, but understand.

It's £100 to 200 billion minimum. Some estimate it would be around £660 billion (others say that's far too high). I think Rory Stewart on the Rest is Politics said when he was an environment minister it was around a £300 billion estimate (could be wrong, was a while ago). I'm sure that's why when the news cover it they rarely actually go into how much it would cost to fix.

It's all because it's an old, outdated system where rainwater uses the same system as our waste/sewage.

But something needs to be done as it's increasing at an alarming rate. Yet dividends are still going out to shareholders instead of being saved up to fix it. Privatisation hasn't worked and people's water bills will in part have to be used to fund the fix. Which is why I think it always gets kicked down the road.

I didn't comprehend how bad the issue was until recently. I think I watched a Geowizard video on YouTube where he attempts to walk across Birmingham without using roads. There's quite a few instances where he walks along and through rivers and streams and there's sh*t and all sorts in the waterways which was unbelievable until you read up on it.

• Like 1

Well if we can't afford the £100 billion to fund it, maybe spend £50 billion now to at least do SOMETHING.

Or you know...take the £100 billion from HS2. If it's a choice between a train and clean water, it's an easy choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lcfc278 said:

I didn't comprehend how bad the issue was until recently. I think I watched a Geowizard video on YouTube where he attempts to walk across Birmingham without using roads. There's quite a few instances where he walks along and through rivers and streams and there's sh*t and all sorts in the waterways which was unbelievable until you read up on it.

I watched that too. That guys videos are great when he goes on his challenges.

The big problem is with all things like this: everyone admits it's a problem, but when it comes to paying for it everyone is like: you pay for it; no you pay for it; no you pay for it. So people just do short term fixes which never  solve the issue.

Governments know it's such a big long term project they kick it down the road and they'd rather budget for something else. And they know if they told everyone their water bill was going up £200 a year for the next 20 years to fund it, it won't go down well. As others have said, water companies should never have been privatised. 

The cost and logistics of digging up the UK's entire sewage system and changing it from a 1 pipe to a 2 pipe system are massive. But it'll have to be done one day. 

Edited by Guesty

30 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Ministers were warned decades ago that private equity-owned water companies would become impossible to regulate and the subsequent devastation it would cause. They did nothing. 

Because being in govt is short term and life is long term 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Anyone else think Sam Bankman-Fried got an incredibly light sentence for the crime?

How do tariffs work in the states ?

I mean over here he would be out in 12 years and he’d leikly spend the last six years of his sentence in an open prison 

23 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Anyone else think Sam Bankman-Fried got an incredibly light sentence for the crime?

Slightly.

Think his lawyer's Autism defence had a big factor in it.

Can an autistic person cope in a normal jail/prison?

Edited by Wymsey

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I mean over here he would be out in 12 years and he’d leikly spend the last six years of his sentence in an open prison 

Not sure but this article has some comparisions. As you say, he'll be out early. 

https://www.morningstar.com/news/marketwatch/20240328333/how-sam-bankman-frieds-25-year-sentence-compares-to-bernie-madoff-and-elizabeth-holmess-jail-time

36 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Pretty sure if you get sent to federal prison there is no parole anymore (was abolished for new inmates around 1987). I think the earliest you can get out is 80-85% of your sentence. It's around 54 days per year for good behaviour.

There are other rules regarding terminal illnesses, old age and presidential pardon.

1 hour ago, Wymsey said:

Slightly.

Think his lawyer's Autism defence had a big factor in it.

Can an autistic person cope in a normal jail/prison?

It depends what their needs are. In the UK they would go into a secure unit rather than a prison if their needs couldn’t be met in a prison. However, that would have no impact on the length of their sentence. Also looking at this guy, I agree it’s lenient and I don’t feel like autism should be a mitigation in sentence length, he would know the difference between right and wrong. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, David Hankey said:

I thank God I never learned to swim!!

If only there were swimming pools to use instead of rivers. 

Dragons Den, here I come! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

Oh dear...well, that has just created a pretext to something if I did ever hear one ...:(

BBC News - Israeli air strike destroys Iranian consulate in Syria - state media
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-68708923

I just feel sorry for the people of Syria having to endure this never ending proxy war, it’s about 13 years now I believe. 

On 29/03/2024 at 08:12, StanSP said:

If only there were swimming pools to use instead of rivers. 

Dragons Den, here I come! 

Be careful, when they’ve finished filling the rivers with shit they might start on the swimming pools.